Extra Benzo in certain situations

Hi Everyone,

I take a very small amount of Benzo once a day along with Verapamil and that keeps the Motion & tension in my head to a level where i can atleast do most things including working a part-time job. I recently joined a Support Group and generally there is approximatley 15-20 people who show up in a round table discussion. I’ve noticed that if i don’t take extra benzo before i arrive it’s hard for me to keep focused and i just can’t get comfortable because the motion increases. I will most likely blank out when i’m sharing. Even before MAV started, i’ve had difficulty talking in a support group of complete strangers or even public speaking. I’m trying to figure out if this is Anxiety or a combination of MAV and Anxiety? My guess is that it’s both.

Any thoughts on this…i would appreciate it.

Joe

Apparently, Migraine, anxiety and depression all share common brain chemistry. There is a flow chart on this forum someplace…check out MARD on the search part and you will find it.

That is why the antidepressants work well for a lot of migraineurs.

Good luck!

Kelley

Hi Kelley,

thank you for responding and giving me some input. This is a real issue for me…and tonight i’m going to my support group once again so you never know who’s going to show up. So i will take extra med this evening so that when it’s my turn to share in the round table discussion i will sound confident and smooth without blanking out or loosing track or feeling a swimmy feeling in my head. Unfortunately, i’ve tried numerous anti-depressants and they have not worked. Anti-anxiety med has worked better.

Joe

Hey Joe,
By the way…have you tried Buspar? I tried it, and there were no side effects…it helped my anxiety, but unfortunately, seemed to increase dizziness over time…but I would consider going back on it if my anxiety not kept under control with the Cymbalta.
I have had anxiety as a major issue as well. Did you ever try Remeron? It worked great for a while, but pooped out on me. A lot of people find it helps them, especially if sleep an issue.

Kelley

Kelley,

I think i tried Buspar back in 1999 or 2000 but no cigar. I’ve tried so many anti-depressants…i wish that i would have written them all down since…1992! Anti-anxiety med has been a life saver! Never tried Remeron.

Since 1992 i’m about 70% back to normal…and 75% on occasional good days. The biggest challenge is to totally be rid of this Swimme/wave like feeling that i get in my head along with this squeezed like feeling too. I believe it’s a form of a headache…but i sometimes wonder if there is some damage done to the inner-ear because i believe the inner-ear malfunctions.

Joe

Joe,
So none of the antidepressants worked for you?
Which benzo do you take?

I’m guessing the inner ear thing is a possibility, but I’m not certain how that would correlate to anxiety, other than just feeling anxious because of the way you feel. If you were to take MORE of a benzo, just as an experiment, would your symptoms ever go away to a greater degree of 75%?

This stuff is crazy…I spend so much energy trying to figure out what the heck is going on with me, and all of us on here…so strange that I’ve never heard of such a thing before, and I’m sure there are thousands of people suffering that don’t have a clue as to what is wrong, or have the support of a forum like this. I have to say, even though it sucks for all of us…there is some comfort in knowing others understand…

Kelley

Kelley,

I’ve been dealing with this conditon for 18 years and i’ve made about 70% improvement on average days…a little more improvement on other days. The benzo that i use in Xanex. In the 1990’s when i was very sick …lots of vertigo and the motion and i was doing very poorly…i was on a stronger dose of Xanex. But Since about the year 2000 i began to be able to taper off this medication and one of the reasons in my opinion why i was able to begin tapering down was i took a severance package from the phone company in 1999 after being employed with them for 20 years. So less stress in my life has helped plus i moved away from the city and living with a partner who is for the most part supportive. I only work part-time and the stress is less than the phone company position. I really have to watch my stress, eat well and get enough sleep.

Prior to my condition going chronic in 1992, i had occasional bouts of vertigo where i would wake up in the middle of the night and the room would be spinning and it would make me very, very sick. So after a small handful of episodes like that for about 2-3 years (1989-1991)…then in June of 1992…had another episode …but was far worse and that is when the illness went chronic…lots of motion and tenseness began inside my head. It’s like the inside of my head never feels relaxed…but i very rarely have headaches. I beleive my inner-ear does not malfunction (but i can’t prove it) so i may have a couple of things going on. But i feel motion 24/7 but with a small amount of medication atleast most things are manageable.

Joe