Eyes

Hello all,

I am having a mildly bad day. Today more than normal my eyes are wanting to move on their own. At my worst, before the meds, it used to be that they wanted to always look down and to my right, and I was constantly having to fight them and consciously readjust them to what I wanted to look at.

These days, they just want to cross. It’s like they think that what I am looking at is moving closer, so they are trying to adjust for the stationary object. The result is the same in that I am constantly trying to readjust my eyes to look at the stationary object.

Just curious if anyone else has problems with their eyes wanting to move on their own.

Brian

Lately it seems like my computer screen is too close, but when I move back it seems too far - huh?? I keep thinking I need new glasses, but maybe it’s just another mav glitch. I’d hate to pay $$$ for new specs then find out nothing’s different.

And it’s strange that you mention that about looking down & to the right … again, I thought it was because of my glasses not being quite right, but I find myself, like, focusing more with one eye when something’s hard to read. (That may not be the same thing that you’re experiencing because I tend to do this on purpose, whereas it sounds like you’re doing it involuntarily.)

So … eye problems, yeah. Not sure we have the same type though. Maybe we just need a good slap :smiley:

Oh i remember that Brian, when i was real sick. I ended up just having to keep my eyes closed, pretty much all day long. and then they would just cross, which pretty much felt just as bad. I’ll never know what that was all about. (and my ophth didn’t have a clue either)

Sorry you’re feeling worse :frowning:

I have alot of weird eye stuff going on. Brian, you mentioned them crossing, well I occasionally get where my right eye will start pulling outward. Like my eyes are not aligned at all, and the right one just wants to turn out. Very hard to describe, my neuro shook his head when I tried to explain it, and he said “Not possible, if your eyes weren’t aligned, you’d have double vision.”
Helpful old gent, he was. Its why I never went back to him. Gotta love those Docs.

I also have experienced the following: dim vision (always after a visual aura), blurry vision (comes and goes constantly. Sometimes I need readers, and sometimes not), flashing in my peripheral vision, floaters, it goes on and on.

I have always found the visual stuff to be frightening. Some of you guys joke about how boring your auras are. Not me!!! Thankfully the meds have seemed to stop the worst of it- I’m the biggest baby in the world. I don’t like my eyes messed with, in any way - totally freaks me.

Kim

When my eyes were crossing and all that stuff I did have double and even triple vision. I hated it when I felt my eyes cross - what the heck what going on? Why would my eyes be crossing? Could it be that I had gone 4 weeks with 2 hours of sleep a night? Those were the bad ole days.

And the flashes and floaters and these high intensity bright spots in the lateral most portion of both eyes - that i didn’t like. I thought something was seriously wrong with my eyes.

I would Google and find these all to be serious symptoms of things like optic nerve damage, retinal nerve damage, vitreous detachment, i thought i would end up dizzy AND blind - just imagine that.

My meds cleared all that up real quick. And took my lava lamp down to a milder level. But i still like my lava lamp and can massage my forhead anytime I want to see it :slight_smile:

— Begin quote from “Julie”

I would Google and find these all to be serious symptoms of things like optic nerve damage, retinal nerve damage, vitreous detachment, i thought i would end up dizzy AND blind - just imagine that.

— End quote

Julie,

I am aware that what I experience is called nystagmus and it is caused by fualty balance and motion information coming from the ears. I was just curious what other people with MAV experience. I am used to conversing with people with Meniere’s Desease and their nystagmus during a vertigo attack is slightly different than what I experience. Reading the replies here, it looks like those of us that do experience nystagmus expereince it differently.

Brian

— Begin quote from “Brian B”

Hello all,

I am having a mildly bad day. Today more than normal my eyes are wanting to move on their own. At my worst, before the meds, it used to be that they wanted to always look down and to my right, and I was constantly having to fight them and consciously readjust them to what I wanted to look at.

These days, they just want to cross. It’s like they think that what I am looking at is moving closer, so they are trying to adjust for the stationary object. The result is the same in that I am constantly trying to readjust my eyes to look at the stationary object.

Just curious if anyone else has problems with their eyes wanting to move on their own.

Brian

— End quote

— Begin quote from “Brian B”

— End quote

Julie,

I am aware that what I experience is called nystagmus and it is caused by fualty balance and motion information coming from the ears. I was just curious what other people with MAV experience. I am used to conversing with people with Meniere’s Desease and their nystagmus during a vertigo attack is slightly different than what I experience. Reading the replies here, it looks like those of us that do experience nystagmus expereince it differently.

Brian

— End quote

Brian,

do you mean that you intentionally left out the word nystagmus in your original post so that others would respond in terms of descriptive symptoms instead of a label (nystagmus) ?

Julie

Brian

do you mean that you intentionally left out the word nystagmus in your original post so that others would respond in terms of descriptive symptoms instead of a label (nystagmus) ?

Julie

— End quote

Yes. I was looking to see if people had similar or varying “types” of nystagmus, and I figured the best way was to usse descriptions instead. I personally experience three variations, pulling to the right, back and forth and back and forth and back and forth, and crossing. I can usually stop the crossing simply by taking my glasses off.

I have a tendancy to beat around the bush instead of coming right out and asking dierctly. :?

Brian

:slight_smile: i think sometimes it’s better not to use labels - you might come up with better descriptions that way.

Okay, since we’re talking about the big N … I’ve only had nystagmus a handful of times & that was during episodes of vertigo. If I hadn’t been trying desperately to keep from barfing each time, the uncontrolled eye movement/twitching would have been entertaining - in a twisted way.

I can’t imagine having that more often though. It would quickly lose its entertainment value.