Facial migraine and antiviral

I just want to put this post up and see if anyone else has any comments. I have had migraines many times. There is a thing I found out about recently called carotid artery migraine. I have had that type of migraine a few times before. Never knew there was a name for what I was having. Anyway I have bilateral vestibular loss. Doctors have said its migraine, genetic, lastest thing was autoimmune and BPPV. Well I was reading all about the people using antiviaral for vertigo on other boards and thought I would give them a try. I haven’t seen anyone post anything about them getting side affects. I took this antiviral yesterday but only a little just to see if it bothered me. I felt hot and like my face was hot but thought it was just a coincedience I had tried these antivirals about 6 months ago and felt like I got one of these carotid artery migraines. Then decided it was just me. I have so many different things happen day to day like migraine vertigo that I never know if its just part of this disorder or from something I have done. Today I decide to take a higher dose of antiviral as I thought its just me thinking it bothers me and I wanted to see if it helped the ear problems. Well my face is hot and red my sinuses feel swollen. The side of my mouth is like TMJ and my tongue feels swollen. Also the carotid artery area in my neck is having that feeling. Don’t know if its from constriction or vascular dialation. I won’t try the antiviarls again because now I am convinced its not must me imagining it. The side of the carotid migraine is my left side the same side that I lost my balance first and also the side when i get migraines that are on my left side in the front of my head and eye. I just wonder if this has been the problem all along and maybe had to many times of migraine that affected my ears. The rule of thought is the migraine can’t destroy all balance function. Just seems awful strange to me.

Carotidynia, also called lower-half headache or facial migraine, produces deep, dull, aching, and sometimes piercing pain in the jaw or neck. There is usually tenderness and swelling over the carotid artery in the neck. Episodes can occur several times weekly and last a few minutes to hours. This type occurs more commonly in older people

thanks Linda M

Hello Linda,

May I ask what type of antiviral you took? It may help me to help you.

I also hope you get to the bottom of this very soon.

Blessed Be
Spinningtop. :smiley:

Hi Tania, The first time I tried one months ago it was Acyclovir in a pill formula I don’t remember the strength. This time I ask the doctor to let me try it in liquid form as I thought maybe the dye or something else in the pill was causing the problem. I had basically the same thing happen. So both times I used Acyclovir. The liquid is 200 mg/5ml. Thanks for any thoughts on this. Linda M