Falls

Two falls recently; not MAV-related, so far as I can tell, but damn! this effect of vertigo’s rather worse than mere dizzies. What’s a hoot is that the MAV itself didn’t result in any falls, before I had it under reasonable control. When it first hit, at its very worst, the result was just not being able to get up, and then unable to walk straight. Now, after I learned to handle the MAV pretty well for over a year, kaboom.

Last Thursday I had hip surgery, and they sent me home Saturday. Saturday night I got up to take a leak, and my wooly sock offered no traction against the floor and my leg had no strength: boom! Even worse, I couldn’t get up and had to crawl to the bathroom, dribbling away. Last night, to reduce pain so I could get back to sleep, I took the drug I’d been prescribed, Tramadol. When I next woke I headed to the loo using my walker, but got so strong a hit of the dizzies that I slid down it and hit the floor. Damned lucky I didn’t get any real damage.

But I do find this ironic as all hell.

At least you have a strong sense of absurdity and irony.

Watch: we’ll get this MAV under control and then get hit by a bus!

Aw, David! What a bummer! So sorry to hear about your falls. Hope you get your equilibrium back soon. And as you rightly say, irony indeed! Take care…

Brenda

Thanks, guys.

What’s even funnier is that today the visiting nurse asked whether I suffer from vertigo! No new meds in my system, normal blood pressure, yet suddenly I could barely stand up. So it’s another case of MAV being under decent control and then some other stressor knocks away the balance.

So it goes.

Feh.

David that’s more than tedious - not sure i’d be able to keep my sense of humour in the same circumstances :!:

Hope you are recovering OK from your surgery

Hi David: It’s amazing and inspiring that you can maintain your great sense of humor through it all. I wish you a quick recovery and a Happy and Healthier New Year. Peace.

Karen

— Begin quote from “david shapiro”

Even worse, I couldn’t get up and had to crawl to the bathroom, dribbling away. Last night, to reduce pain so I could get back to sleep, I took the drug I’d been prescribed, Tramadol. When I next woke I headed to the loo using my walker, but got so strong a hit of the dizzies that I slid down it and hit the floor. Damned lucky I didn’t get any real damage.

— End quote

Hi David, that sort of experience would sure get me thinking closely about it. It might not turn out to be sinister - you may just have been very worn out by the surgery and been really sleepy when you got up in the night. Many patients (something like 30%) experience confused states after surgery during which their brain function is reduced, sometimes to a disturbing degree, and they become markedly inattentive.

Of course, your fall could be more ominous. I hope you don’t have another.

-Wexan

Thanks, friends.

Wexan, I take your point. My biggest problem may have been “knowing what I can do, and how to do it.” This experience is really different, and it’s taken me some time to recognize how slow and careful I need to go. Happily, my home-visit PT helped me modify the workout I had been given, so I could relax last night.

Has my mentation been more sluggish than usual? Could be, but no worries.

One piece of my bedtime problem was not wanting to add a bunch of psychoactive drugs to my cocktail unless I was in agony. Result: I took them piecemeal at night, after accepting that the agony wasn’t going to go away by itself. And doing so didn’t work that well. So last night, at least half an hour before bed, I took the full handful of pills I’ve been prescribed, and subsequently I had just about no pain. Also, being damned careful how I moved, no more falls.

Okay, I still didn’t get to sleep till about 3 AM, but from about 10 to 3 I just lay there mellow, listening to WBJC’s classical music. Beat the hell out of the previous sleepless nights, both mentally and physically I’m sure.

Hi David,

Very sorry to hear about your fall and also your surgery. What a rotten turn of events. It’s good to hear that by taking the handful of meds all at once you were pain-free and at least able to relax during the hours of insomnia.

Hang in there!

Vic

Sheesh, David - I’m in agreement with everyone else. You have an amazing sense of humor, considering!

You’ve been through the ringer!!

Glad you didn’t undo whatever was done to your hip. How is your recovery coming along?

Thanks, guys. Maryalice, I’m pretty mellow. Recovery is going to be slow, because I opted for a traditional hip replacement . . . but the PT tells me that, if I follow the regimen, a year from now I won’t be able to tell which hip is flesh-and-blood and which one’s titanium. (I can go to an airport; the security people will be able to help me with any confusion.)