FAQs answered by Neurologists

‘Flushes’ or ‘Flashes’ now that’s an interesting one. Since I’ve been on meds and had control over most symptoms much of the time I’ve come to notice a violent flush will make me dizzy even though I’m no longer 24/7 dizzy. The way things appear to be moving one day in the not too distant future I can hear myself saying ‘The only time I ever get dizzy now is when I have a bad hot flush or eat something I shouldn’t have’. Not there yet but it’s heading that way. I knew mine was hormone related but perhaps didn’t previously appreciate how much. Interestingly when I discussed possible Add In meds to the existing Propranolol with my doctor and mentioned Effexor she said she wouldn’t prescribe it for migraine but I could take 37.5g for hot flushes as it’s non hormonal and works a treat. Helen

2 Likes

Well well well! Bit of a coincidence there if you ask me!

1 Like

Well isn’t it just? Helen

2 Likes

great find, I read it more than a year ago but was in another state of mind, mostly scared with MAV so did not retain much. But, it is interesting the different approaches to treatment. I like what one of the doctors say about looking at patients health history to recommend medication and not just the one size fits all. Also, I am part of a group on facebook of postpartum moms with neurological issues and a lot of them with the rocking sensation and other weir stuff (which I think are similir to MAV symptoms) used celexa and got better. Celexa is one of the fav meds of the doctor that does genetic research because of similarities between gene expression of depression and migraine. Anyway, I thought that maybe for us postpartum women, we should try celexa when this first start. Oh well, all is annecdotal but interesting.

1 Like

Celexa (Citalopram) was what my own doctor first prescribed for me when I went to her with constant 24/7 rotary dizziness in February 2015. I had had no investigation/tests whatsoever but suspect I told her I associated my condition with Eating Out and supermarkets. She was treating me for Anxiety as far as I am aware although she never mentioned the word. She and I had never met before. All she said taking it would improve my, and my husband’s quality of life whatever that was supposed to mean. I never took it mainly because I read the PIL and the first listed side effect was ‘Dizziness’ and I felt I needed that about as much as the proverbial hole in the head. At that time I had no idea what was wrong with me. Knew nothing about MAV or how med sensitive I might prove to be or how most good preventatives often cause initial dizziness. Sometimes I wonder if it would have worked but now I’ll never know. Helen

Guys, this is getting off Topic. (Cat calling kettle? :wink: )

This topic was automatically opened after 9 days.