Feel 50% better on Celexa

Hi Everyone,

I haven’t been writing on the forum for a while cause I wanted to wait for the good news. However, I’m still not cured from my dizziness, but I’m a little better. About 50% better I would say on the highest dose of Celexa, which is 40 mg. I’ve got more of a life now, and I can leave in the evening and be social. I started working a little and I’m taking a theater class at the college. I still feel off balance and I’m rocking when I’m in bed. But it’s not as violent as it once was. I really wish I could get even better and it seems like I have to add another drug to the mix. I’m thinking about maybe adding Verpamil.
I know some of you here go to a doc in New York that believes in Verpamil and an SSRI combo. Has anyone here on the forum had good results with Verpamil and an SSRI mix together?

Please let me know.

Emma :slight_smile:

Emma! Thanks so much for sharing. I am so happy you are seeing some positive results. How long have you been on celexa? How long did it take to notice a change in your symptoms and what symptoms got a little better? I see the doc in NY that uses verapamil and SSRI combo. I am still on the verapamil part, but zoloft is in the pipeline if I don’t get enough symptom resolution when I reach my max dose. He also many times starts with the SSRI part and see good results with his patients, so maybe with time you will get to 100% (it was my preference to start with verapamil). Howie also sees the same doc and is doing great on verapamil and zoloft.

Keep us posted!
Lisa

such great news, Emma. I hope that you can get even better. I also used to see Dr. Newman and recall that he used the combo of SSRI and Verapamil. I was also curious to know which symptoms have dissipated. Did you have chronic disequilibrium. I just pray that the disequilibrium will stop with meds, as that is such a disabling symptom. I am more seriously considering going on zoloft recently. My depression is very severe right now, so if anything maybe my spirits will be lifted.
Again, thanks for sharing and do continue to keep us posted.

Hi,

Thanks for you response. Here are the answers to your questions. I been on Celexa for almost 4 months. Thats how long it took me to get up to 40 mg. When I came up to 15 mg I started noticing a difference. The symptoms that got better(on 40 mg) are that I have more energy, and I don’t feel like I have to go to bed after just being up after 4 hours. When I sit down I don’t feel as off balance (but that depends on the day, sometimes I feel it)I still feel like I’m tilting to the left side. Driving a car is easier and when I’m at a stop sign, I don’t feel as dizzy. I can also be in a car for a long time(4-5 hrs) and feel ok when I get out, however I still feel a little sick, but is not to bad. As long as a take a nap in the afternoon I can leave in the evening and do things I couldn’t do before, like having a social life, rehearsing with my band etc… (I was always scared to leave in the night cause I never knew how I was going to feel). I’m still struggling with feeling off balance and having disequilibrium, but it’s not as bad. I still feel a rocky feeling in bed like I’m floating on water, but it’s not as intense. I just need another drug that could get rid of the rest, and I really hope Verpamil is it…
Additional to Celexa, I’m taking 300 mg of QO10 and 200 mg B2, 300 mg Magnesium 1000mcg B12 everyday.

MAVNY how are you doing? Do you feel a little better on Verpamil? How much are you taking?
Lisa is your dizziness better since you got pregnant or is it worse?

Best,

Emma

— Begin quote from “emmasaga”

Hi,
MAVNY how are you doing? Do you feel a little better on Verpamil? How much are you taking?
Best,

Emma

— End quote

HI Emma,
I just started a week ago taking 120 mg of the long acting formulation. Up until this point I have been titrating at a snail’s pace (took 4 mos. to get to this dose) I did notice some subtle improvement but the last few weeks I have taken many steps back. That being said, 120 mg is usually the starting dose. I am now working with my doc to get more aggressive with the dosage and in about 2 weeks I will be going up to 180 mg. I am pretty small with low bp and pulse to begin with so my doc was being very conservative with my dose increases. I am still holding onto hope that with a more therapeutic dosage I will get some relief. I am still virtually housebound and bedridden and suffer 24/7 but feel that I need to give a more reasonable dose a chance. How is your blood pressure normally?

Hope you keep going forward!
Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Sorry to hear you are doing so bad. I understand how you feel. My blood pressure is normally 110/70 i think, and sometimes 120/80.

Emma

Emma - thanks for answering our questions. Unfortunately, I have been even worse since the pregnancy.