Feel better when neck is supported

I’ve noticed that i get most symptom relief from my neck being fully stationary ie. when laying out on the sofa with a cushion below neck, or in bed… I am actually symptom free when I’m like this… Is anybody the same?

I generally agree with this.

However, when I switch from standing to lying, I can sometimes notice that my proprioceptors in my legs are replaced by proprioceptors in my butt and back…and I get a strange sense of imbalance. You get anything like this?

So I would not say symptom free, but for me the complete absence of movement or muscle use of any kind does generaly help.

…probably a similar example for me would be a soft mattress…if the mattress is too soft I feel out of balance.

I too feel much better when neck is supported. I can not say “symptom free”, but I do get tons of relief when my neck is supported. If its not supported, it feels like a force is trying to push it down, especially driving. UGH. It’s like I’m trying to carry a bowling ball on my head. Do you get this too?

100% DITTO to what MAVPRINCESS said.

I also agree with what MAV Princess said. The bowling ball pressure feeling is exhausting.
~ Molly

Not symptom free, but helps tremendously!

Yes, I have always found this to be the case. I always used to have a habit of clasping my hands at the back of my head because of this, and yes, I have a small feather cushion on the chair to put behind my neck and cradle it. At night, again a feather pillow does the same thing.

Christine

— Begin quote from "JWB"

I generally agree with this.

However, when I switch from standing to lying, I can sometimes notice that my proprioceptors in my legs are replaced by proprioceptors in my butt and back…and I get a strange sense of imbalance. You get anything like this?

So I would not say symptom free, but for me the complete absence of movement or muscle use of any kind does generaly help.

…probably a similar example for me would be a soft mattress…if the mattress is too soft I feel out of balance.

— End quote

Hi JWB,

I dont really get that as such, the only difference i get is more a weighted feeling sometimes when sitting or laying down, although this is not very intense. In years past when i have had this it was much more intense

Very true for me as well! I feel very close to normal when lying or sitting down w/ my head supported. If I’m standing talking to someone or in a meeting, I have to prop my chin up on my fist and that also helps a lot. If I had to tie my hands behind my back and not support my head, I’d find it very difficult to function.

When my sweetheart’s neck is hurting her badly, I can help easy it by supporting her head/neck. However, the discomfort returns almost as bad when I take my hands away. OTOH, if I work on freeing the movement of her ribs etc as she breathes, her shoulders can let down, she can release some of the muscles locking her neck to support her head, maybe even relax her jaw. That lasts much better.
I’m not diagnosing anybody’s neck discomfort remotely. What I am saying is that sometimes you can get traction by checking out what else in your body is hung up, and being nice to that.

Supporting my neck helps for sure! Quite a bit in fact.