Feeling better after reading your posts

Thank you all for answering my questions so promptly and supporting me through all of this. I have felt so overwhelmed by this MAV for so long. I feel like for the first time in 8 months, I’m actually relaxing and accepting this better. I just received my book in the mail today, Heal Your Headache. I started reading it already. I read that Verapamil is a drug of choice because of the low side effects. Many of you mentioned this also, you guys are so helpful! I am not really big on medications. The book also said not to worry so much about blood pressure dropping too low while on the Verapamil, even if you already have normal or low blood pressure. I guess the pill only lowers high blood pressure mainly. If someone has normal or lower blood pressure, it usually has no effect. The book said if your pressure gets too low, you would notice intolerable lightheadedness when standing up quickly. The author evens suggests not routinely checking your blood pressure unless you have good reason to believe your feeling poorly as a result of it. I am going to stop checking mine and try to “go with the flow”.

One thing I was thinking about - before this whole “MAV thing” started, I was under considerable amounts of stress for two years. My father-in-law passed away while I was 8 1/2 months pregnant, we have to take care of my difficult mohter-in-law now,I had two friends and an uncle pass away within three months prior to that, We purchased a different home and did a 1 1/2 year total renovation while living there, our contractor who did the work majorly goofed up and cost us way more than originally planned, we are currently filing a complaint against his workmanship and are trying to recover the loss he caused us, I gave birth to my daughter who was way over 10 lbs (a difficult natural childbirth) and then she had colic. Then the doctor found an unidentifiable mass by her spine when she was a year old. After tests, thank God it was nothing! Not to mention a major health scare with my husband and I almost lost my mother due to coronary problems. Okay - -sorry to unload all that. I think maybe stress brought this all on. That could’ve been my trigger. But, I got this after everything settled down. Were a lot of you under stress when you developed this? I’m just curious. Now I feel like I’m a complainer because I unloaded all this on you guys. I guess I really didn’t realize how much had happened in the past couple years until I actually read it back.

Hope all of you are having a good day. I am actually thinking about going to Walmart today. Can you believe it? :stuck_out_tongue:
THANKS TO ALL OF YOU AGAIN!!!

• Nance

— Begin quote from “nance”

Thank you all for answering my questions so promptly and supporting me through all of this. I have felt so overwhelmed by this MAV for so long. I feel like for the first time in 8 months, I’m actually relaxing and accepting this better. I just received my book in the mail today, Heal Your Headache. I started reading it already. I read that Verapamil is a drug of choice because of the low side effects. Many of you mentioned this also, you guys are so helpful! I am not really big on medications. The book also said not to worry so much about blood pressure dropping too low while on the Verapamil, even if you already have normal or low blood pressure. I guess the pill only lowers high blood pressure mainly. If someone has normal or lower blood pressure, it usually has no effect. The book said if your pressure gets too low, you would notice intolerable lightheadedness when standing up quickly. The author evens suggests not routinely checking your blood pressure unless you have good reason to believe your feeling poorly as a result of it. I am going to stop checking mine and try to “go with the flow”.

One thing I was thinking about - before this whole “MAV thing” started, I was under considerable amounts of stress for two years. My father-in-law passed away while I was 8 1/2 months pregnant, we have to take care of my difficult mohter-in-law now,I had two friends and an uncle pass away within three months prior to that, We purchased a different home and did a 1 1/2 year total renovation while living there, our contractor who did the work majorly goofed up and cost us way more than originally planned, we are currently filing a complaint against his workmanship and are trying to recover the loss he caused us, I gave birth to my daughter who was way over 10 lbs (a difficult natural childbirth) and then she had colic. Then the doctor found an unidentifiable mass by her spine when she was a year old. After tests, thank God it was nothing! Not to mention a major health scare with my husband and I almost lost my mother due to coronary problems. Okay - -sorry to unload all that. I think maybe stress brought this all on. That could’ve been my trigger. But, I got this after everything settled down. Were a lot of you under stress when you developed this? I’m just curious. Now I feel like I’m a complainer because I unloaded all this on you guys. I guess I really didn’t realize how much had happened in the past couple years until I actually read it back.

Hope all of you are having a good day. I am actually thinking about going to Walmart today. Can you believe it? :stuck_out_tongue:
THANKS TO ALL OF YOU AGAIN!!!

• Nance

— End quote

I am glad you got the book and if you will follow it i think you will see improvement , not cure but improvement.

As far as the stress goes mine all started after I had been under tremendous stress.

My mother has been very sick for a long time and Dad was trying to take care of her at home and it developed into a horrible circumstance, my brother lost his home and i was trying to help him find another place to live. I was up to all hours of the night trying to find him and my parents a place to live, plus trying to hold down a very stressful job in the midst of all that was going on. We were have issues with my grown daughter and my husband was becoming a basket case staying up all night worrying…there is a lot more that i will not bore you with but it is like it all just caught up with me and it manifested itself into this MAV, maybe it was already there and the symptoms were not as bad, I do not know.

My mom is now in a nursing home and is being taken care of, my bother has another home and things are not near as stressful as they were. I had to realize I could not resolve everything for everybody and not take care of my own self. Being the oldest I always felt like that was my responsibility. You can not do that or you will suffer in the end.

Bottom line once I got a lot of the stress resolved and starting eating right and getting enough rest it has definitely improved. Not to say that it is gone but it is much better and I have only had one headache in the last three months, which at one point I was having them everyday. The motion problem is still there but much more limited than it was.

I get up every morning eat and then go for a walk with my husband , life is much better than it was this time last year and hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Go to Walmart , take it slow at first but do not allow yourself to give up and become home bound if at all possible.

I understand the need to have someone with you, I always take my cell phone and make sure I am around people in the event something does happen.

I sincerely hope you have a good day, I know what you are going through, keep the faith, better days will be ahead.

I feel that I was triggered by stress. To make a long story short, I had been under quite a load for about three years (school fulltime, work fulltime, got engaged and married, and a new job) when my wife went into labor two months early. Every time I walked into the hospital they had another monitor, IV, or something else hooked up to her. In the end, she didn’t deal well with everything they were doing to keep her from delivering the baby, and her health was going down hill in a hurry. Our first son ended up 7 1/2 weeks early. They are both doing fine nine years later, but the same week our son was born I started hearing things funny out of my right ear. Things quickly got worse over the next three months and continued slowly getting even worse over the next five years before I got a proper diagnoses.

Brian

Interesting thread; counter intuitive that MAV sometimes starts only after periods of great stress. But it was certainly true in my case. I had a job that created enormous amopunts of stress until I took early retirment; MAV didn’t start until I left that job. Among the many visits to various doctors before the MAV diagnosis, I had a neuro tell me that my problems were anxiety caused by the lack of stress in my life since taking early retirement. I always thought there may be a kernel of truth in what he said, but these shared experiences help shed a different light on that “diagnosis”. Good luck to all.

migraines normally come after (not during) stressful events. for example a person can go headache-free during the week, but have a headache during the weekend.

It seems most mddsers have been subjected to stress prior onset of dizziness. However stress is so common today that Im not sure the two are linked.

Nance…

Even though a person can’t really prove it i know that i began having occasional Vertigo episodes when i started having an enormous stress at work back in the late 1980’s. I had transferred to a new job within the company and it turned out to be a job that was way over my head…and i kept trying to master it. Anyway…months later i returned to my old job but the vertigo attacks continued…then the rocking motion began and i believe to this day the stress due to this difficult job is what started this dizzy mess.

Joe

Hi everyone -

I don’t come here very often as I am so light sensitive that looking at the computer for too long toasts my eyes. But I managed to read this and found it interesting about the relationship to stress. I was stressed for almost 4 years before this started. I was pregnant twice and both of my children are terrible sleepers. It has been over 5 years since I’ve had periods of continual good sleep. My 5 year old still wakes up often and my 3 year old does too. I feel like if I could rest like normal people that would certainly help. Of course I am also 40 years old and this started right before I turned 39 - a prime time for a woman to start suffering from migraines. So who knows. I need to go and live in a stress free bubble for a while and see if I get healed. Anyone care to leave the world and join me at a spa until this thing goes away. For me it needs to be a very dark spa!

Molly

Molly -

My 3 year old daughter is still not a very good sleeper. Most bedtimes are a hassle because my three year old keeps my eight year old awake. They share a room. Lately, I have been getting more sleep and believe or not, I’m starting to feel better. I am trying to get to bed by 10:30 p.m. and getting up around 7:00 a.m. I have had one week of decent sleep and I already feel better (not 100 % but a lot better than I was). I also gave up caffeine, chocolate and I’m watching out for MSG. I think my medicine maybe starting to work also. Everyone that was kind enough to answer my posts say to be patient with the Verapamil, so I am giving it a chance. I have had at least 2 decent days this week. I feel like I am about functioning at about 65-70% today. That is a huge improvement for me. I still feel full headed and ear pressure. At times I get a flash of dizziness but alittle better. I hope I keep improving. I hope you feel better too. My husband says I need to get a massage, but I don’t think I could lay still enough. I feel fidgety with MAV (don’t know why). Take Care.

• Nance

— Begin quote from “Molly”

Anyone care to leave the world and join me at a spa until this thing goes away. For me it needs to be a very dark spa!

— End quote

Count me in! I’m all for the darkness (and the spa). I’m sitting in my dark cubicle with the blinds closed, the lights out, and sunglasses on right now. I also have the brightness on my monitor turned all the way down. I used to adore sunlight. Now I feel like a vampire! :twisted:

Nance

What exactly do you mean when you say you feel Full Headed? Can you elaborate on that a bit? Thanks…

Joe

Joe -

I know this sounds silly, but when I feel fullheaded, I feel like my head has been pumped with air. I feel like it is heavy and filled to its capacity. I also experience ear pressure. I am lucky enough to say that right now I am not getting migraines. My migraines are clusters that run from March to May usually. I have experienced the weirdest symptoms since all this started. I used to hate describing them to my doctor because its hard to put into words what I feel. It’s much easier to describe my vertigo and dizziness.

• Nance

Nance did you read the book yet? If so have you been able to do any of the things he suggested.

I am so glad to hear you are getting a better nights rest. That is so important. Also try to follow the diet he tells you about and I think it will make a difference at least it did with me. Even if you have to cook yourself something diff than the rest of the family it is worth it. I have a 22 that lives at home so we always fix him a “normal” meal. Even though my husband and I are both watching this diet as he agred to do it with me so it would be easier.

Do you have sensitivities to smells?

Glad to hear you are going to give the med so more time maybe that will be the key for you.

Hope you have a good weekend try to keep the stress low and hopefully better days are ahead.

Joe -

I know this sounds silly, but when I feel fullheaded, I feel like my head has been pumped with air. I feel like it is heavy and filled to its capacity. I also experience ear pressure. I am lucky enough to say that right now I am not getting migraines. My migraines are clusters that run from March to May usually. I have experienced the weirdest symptoms since all this started. I used to hate describing them to my doctor because its hard to put into words what I feel. It’s much easier to describe my vertigo and dizziness.

• Nance

— End quote

Nance,

I have that same symptom nearly all the time. I’ve always described it as a feeling of intense pressure in/on my head. It isn’t painful, just irritating. I had the ear fullness/pressure for the first few months (also irritating), but it went away and has not returned. I’m glad you aren’t having headaches right now.

Marci

Timeless,

Hi. Yes, I too have smell sensitivities. Strong perfumes and lotions have always been a problem for me. Sometimes the inserts in magazines that have perfume samples on them bother me. I have always been that way. It’s hard to believe I worked for a company that mixed automobile paint. I worked in the office but the smell was overwhelming. It’s weird but after awhile I didn’t even smell it anymore. It did make my cluster migraines worse when I’d get them. I read the book. I am trying hard to follow the diet. His book makes so much sense, doesn’t it? I’m still not sure what my triggers are other than stress and lack of sleep and caffeine. I have an appointment with Dr. Hain on the 20th of this month for a followup. I am going to see him this time instead of a phone consultation. Today, so far I am feeling okay. So far, so good. (It’s only around 10 a.m. though) but I have had a few good days this week. This is the best I have felt since June! I hope I keep improving. Is this how it usually happens? The good days start out weighing the bad? I keep thinking, “Is this too good to be true?” I’m not always as positive as I should be. I hope you have a great weekend.

-Nance

Timeless,

Hi. Yes, I too have smell sensitivities. Strong perfumes and lotions have always been a problem for me. Sometimes the inserts in magazines that have perfume samples on them bother me. I have always been that way. It’s hard to believe I worked for a company that mixed automobile paint. I worked in the office but the smell was overwhelming. It’s weird but after awhile I didn’t even smell it anymore. It did make my cluster migraines worse when I’d get them. I read the book. I am trying hard to follow the diet. His book makes so much sense, doesn’t it? I’m still not sure what my triggers are other than stress and lack of sleep and caffeine. I have an appointment with Dr. Hain on the 20th of this month for a followup. I am going to see him this time instead of a phone consultation. Today, so far I am feeling okay. So far, so good. (It’s only around 10 a.m. though) but I have had a few good days this week. This is the best I have felt since June! I hope I keep improving. Is this how it usually happens? The good days start out weighing the bad? I keep thinking, “Is this too good to be true?” I’m not always as positive as I should be. I hope you have a great weekend.

-Nance

— End quote

The reason I asked because they are a big trigger for me the smells, I have changed everything I use to non scented.

Seven Generations has cleaners, dish washing detergents, softeners that are all unscented.
I order my shampoo and hair products online that are both scent free and chemical free they have worked well for me.
Arm and Hammer unscented deodorant.

I do not know what all my triggers are either but I cut them all out to start and trying adding some back other than the caffeine, MSG and nuts and cheese are huge for me. I can eat creamed cheese with no problems .

The improvements were gradual for me but then the good days start to out weigh the bad. I had a bad day yesterday not really sure why but they are less frequent than they were a few months ago.

My biggest issue now is that I have lost too much weight and have to start eating more to keep that from continuing, but so many foods make my symptoms worse but we will deal with that and move forward.

In any event have a good weekend and keep us posted on your visit with Dr HAin and your progress.