Feeling low

Hi all,

after a long break in the UK seeing family and friends it is now my 1st day back in Switzerland working.

I am up to 200mg pregablin / lyrica per day but have not yet felt any benefits related to the MAV. It has helped a bit with the anxiety though which is good.

Am I destined to constantly feel off balance for the rest of my life? I am 27 years old and it certainly feels like that :frowning:
The 1 year anniversary of this episode of MAV is getting ever closer and I cannot believe I have had these symptoms constantly for that length of time. I seriously do not know how I have held it all together.

I arrived home from the UK yesterday to my empty apartment and just felt extremely low, with no one around I just thought, what is the point of being here… Money is great, work is great, but the social life is really dull and it just doesn’t feel like home.

Today I feel like just walking into my managers office and saying that I want to head back to the UK (either that or just take a few months off sick) … it would be giving up on a great opportunity, one that I know I would regret but right now I just feel like I can’t cope on my own out here :frowning:

I just want this crap gone!

oi oi Richy boy!! :smiley:

whats going on mate? why have you not whats app me if your feeling crap?!?!

try and hang in there a little while longer mate. It take a while for the meds to kick in and notice an improvement?

you following the diet and lifestyle changes?

Lifestyle changes, diet and pregablin got me to 75% but it took a few months. You will get there mate you just need to hang in there

thanks mate… don’t want to bother you when you are also going through this crap… you have enough on your plate…

to be honest I haven’t stuck with the lifestyle or diet changes as yet, I am starting from today… although I have absolutely no idea what food ill have this evening… I am a useless cook!

did you find the lifestyle and diet changes were key to this?

Don’t be silly contact me any time mate

i just end up having meat / fish with veg and potatoes most nights. After a couple of weeks you will get used to the diet

To be honest i don’t know but i will do anything to get better so i just do it :smiley:

Hi Richy

Did you feel better symptom-wise when you were home over Xmas and around family/friends etc? Do you feel that the lifestyle over there is affecting you or contributing to the problem?

It may be that you need to be around people to support you through this. I tried to soldier on for the first year but it all got too much for me and I think I made myself worse in the long run by becoming totally exhausted. I was lucky enough to have a supportive partner and was able to give up my job as I really could not have gone on like that. Like you, I was 27 when I got this and it feels too young to write off the rest of your life to feeling dizzy etc.

Someone who I mentioned before who has MAV and lived in Switzerland moved back to the UK after a year and said she felt better in the UK because of the lower altitude over here. It may be that could contribute to your symptoms as lots of people find that weather, altitude and baromic pressure affect their MAV.

Hope you are able to come to the right decision that helps you get better x

have you found that you have lost any weight with the diet as yet? and do you do any exercise?

I need to lose some for sure, having eaten like a pig over christmas haha

— Begin quote from "Jem"

Hi Richy

Did you feel better symptom-wise when you were home over Xmas and around family/friends etc? Do you feel that the lifestyle over there is affecting you or contributing to the problem?

It may be that you need to be around people to support you through this. I tried to soldier on for the first year but it all got too much for me and I think I made myself worse in the long run by becoming totally exhausted. I was lucky enough to have a supportive partner and was able to give up my job as I really could not have gone on like that. Like you, I was 27 when I got this and it feels too young to write off the rest of your life to feeling dizzy etc.

Someone who I mentioned before who has MAV and lived in Switzerland moved back to the UK after a year and said she felt better in the UK because of the lower altitude over here. It may be that could contribute to your symptoms as lots of people find that weather, altitude and baromic pressure affect their MAV.

Hope you are able to come to the right decision that helps you get better x

— End quote

Hi Jem,

My symptoms weren’t any better in the UK in all honesty. I think it just felt comforting being around people who were supportive and chatty and upbeat and the company really helped. I don’t really blame Switzerland or the lifestyle for making this any better or worse but I think it just doesn’t help being here on my own.

The thing with it over here is that people are not as openly friendly as they are in the UK, its not so easy to build social networks and as I have had MAV since a couple of months after my move here, its been difficult pushing myself to go to social events and join clubs etc… which has left me fairly isolated. I have friends outside work and we do meet up to do things, but its always arranged and not like just popping round to their house to chill for the day or something like that.

When I lived in England, I was in a long term relationship and had been living with my girlfriend for 3 years. When I came to Switzerland I had grand ideas that I would meet a much more outgoing and ambitious girl and life would be fantastic. Little did I know what I was in for with MAV haha!

I know that if this crap went away I would be much happier here, but I just don’t know if it ever will while I live here. I have this feeling that sub consciously my mind does not feel totally secure here and this is somehow triggering the MAV.

Cheers
Rich

Umm it’s a tough one isn’t it. I guess the only way to be sure would be to move back here but then it seems a shame to give up your dream job in the process. I guess you could give the meds a bit longer and see how far they take you. Only you know what is best for you but I am sure circumstances and time will ultimately show you which path to take x

How long have you been taking the Lyrica for? Do you take it twice a day? Any side effects? I am on 75 mg 3 times a day it is so sedating and not sure it is helping…

So sorry to hear you’re feeling rubbish Richy, maybe it’s the January ‘come down’ after Christmas, amplified by being away from home. Did Dr. S indicate how long it should be before you start to feel the effects of the medication? xx

robertgreen, what dose of lyrica are you on? How long have you been taking it? What symptoms does it help with?

richy i forgot to say- i understand about having this happen in your 20’s- mine started when i was 26 (now 29)- we are supposed to be having the time of our lives now :frowning: its funny it seems like there is a big group of 20 and 30-somethings posting on this forum- interesting. I would love if we all could meet up and have a dizzy convention!!!

Hi Richy, just wanted to say, as the others have, that I’m so sorry to hear you’re in such a slough again. Everyone has given good advice which I can’t really add to (except to encourage you exactly as robertsgreen99 did re the diet - ‘just do it’ :smiley: ) It IS hard Richy but give it your best shot. I genuinely hope you turn a corner soon.

Best wishes, Brenda

— Begin quote from "RichyF"

Hi Jem,

My symptoms weren’t any better in the UK in all honesty. I think it just felt comforting being around people who were supportive and chatty and upbeat and the company really helped. I don’t really blame Switzerland or the lifestyle for making this any better or worse but I think it just doesn’t help being here on my own.

The thing with it over here is that people are not as openly friendly as they are in the UK, its not so easy to build social networks and as I have had MAV since a couple of months after my move here, its been difficult pushing myself to go to social events and join clubs etc… which has left me fairly isolated. I have friends outside work and we do meet up to do things, but its always arranged and not like just popping round to their house to chill for the day or something like that.

When I lived in England, I was in a long term relationship and had been living with my girlfriend for 3 years. When I came to Switzerland I had grand ideas that I would meet a much more outgoing and ambitious girl and life would be fantastic. Little did I know what I was in for with MAV haha!

I know that if this crap went away I would be much happier here, but I just don’t know if it ever will while I live here. I have this feeling that sub consciously my mind does not feel totally secure here and this is somehow triggering the MAV.

Cheers
Rich

— End quote

Rich, I really feel for you, life doesn’t go the way we want it or expected it to at all when MAV hits. I don’t know what switzerland is like, only been through the airports whilst travelling but I know the UK and yeah, you can meet a lot of people in pubs/clubs etc. I’ve just moved over to Canada from the UK to try and set up a new life over here and I’m having the same problem - can’t seem to find people to just chill with indoors. I can’t deal with stimuli from most other places. Plus, making the connections to begin with is difficult with such a limited life I have anyway right now thanks to mav. I don’t leave the house all that often.

You’ve had mav one year, but you are on medication that should see you through feeling a bit better soon… I’m turning the 4year corner very soon (4years down, beginning year 5 of this crap). It does go ON and ON for some of us, but others find the right treatment and diet and changes in lifestyle and start feeling better sooner. Also, beginning a relationship with this condition, well, I don’t think it’s possible!!! (To me, not anyway), I left my previous partner because I had to change and he couldn’t. I couldn’t deal with the drinking and drugging, fast paced life anymore. I’m 25 now and got hit with mav when I was 21years 6months. It doesn’t matter which country I’m in, my mav doesn’t change or get better to any extent. It’s always the same wherever I am in the world. But yeah, sounds like you’re a tad homesick and unsure where to go next, but like Jem said, it all becomes clear, eventually, one way or another. I hope you find some answers, somewhere…