first time here... glad i found you

hi. i was dx with vestibular migraine a few years ago. a few months earlier i had fallen down some concrete steps and hit my head at the bottom, thankfully on a wooden floor. i went to emergency and there was no injury found. the symptoms a few months after the fall was initially for months i was pure nausea and dizziness. no headaches which always confuses people. (i secretly think i may have headaches but maybe i’m so used to them that i can’t identify them.) the one good thing was i ended up losing about 40# and have kept most of it off. i saw a neurologist and physical therapist and tried different meds and treatments. nothing helped take it away completely. now, years later, i still get dizziness and nausea every day but nothing as severe or debilitating as the initial symptoms. but it’s bad enough still that it does interrupt and disrupt my day to day energy, enough so that the days that it’s mild i try to take advantage of and get as much as possible done and checked off my to do list. i get upset, angry, and depressed that i have this. i am constantly trying to practice acceptance. fortunately i have an incredibly supportive partner whose energy is practically never ending, at least compared to my limited energy. he helps with my errands and tasks. especially the grocery store. i cannot spend more that 10 minutes at the market with all the looking around shelves, up/down. one time, early on, i had to literally stop in the middle of an aisle and stand still, breathing, trying to minimize the nausea so as to not puke right there. i also have a bipolar depression dx that makes it even harder to get to that acceptance. lately, as certain changes in my life have been settling down, i’ve started to focus more again on remedies, treatments. which is how i found you all! i’m happy to be here! my hope is to find solutions among all of your experiences… and to share anything that has been helpful to me in this journey…

2 Likes

Hi LunaAzul, I was diagnosed a few years ago, too, with VM. In addition, apx. 30 years ago I was diagnosed with Meniere’s. I am going through a rough time right now with symptoms, to the point where I’ve decided I need to leave my (very stressful, high-profile, high-paying) job to concentrate on my health; hence now there will be a new stress of minimal income. Had 3 good weeks until this week, now full blown off-balance, headaches, loss of hearing, loud tinnitus, trouble staying asleep (I sleep for 4 hours, then awake and can’t get back to sleep for hours later, then feel like crap when I wake up around 9AM). Seems I’ve traded the stress of “work” for the stress of “no work”. Your statement, “I am constantly trying to practice acceptance”, really hit home with me, as this is what I am trying to work on as well. I find repeating the Serenity Prayer helps. Also, my faith reminds me I am a VICTOR, not a victim. This is a great website with lots of info and tips from people who have the same medical issues as us…so thankful for this community! Stay strong!

2 Likes