Flareup after several months

Hi everyone -

Okay. some of you may remember me, others may not. I have only posted every now and then over the past few months. However, I do check the forum frequently. I started Verapamil Dec. 2008. By, I think it was June of 2008, I felt great thru the beginning of Dec of 2009. I had a huge crisis…to make a long story short…my 36 year old husband was diagnosed with cancer, had two surgeries within a week, was having a ton of complications, I was communting daily over a hour to and from the hospital, got him home, he was taken back by ambulance, has an ileostomy, etc etc. Okay…boom…mav came back with a ton of anxiety, i mean a ton.

I tried just fighting it but mav is taking over my life once again (I can’t go to my children’s dance class, events, etc.) I called Hain and am on day 2 of effexor plus verapamil still.

I told myself that I would never try effexor…but I am desperate and doing it for my family. They need me. Please tell me there is someone out there who has had success with effexor or the combo of verapamil and effexor? My nerves are shot, I cannot sit still, my head feels “revved up” so to speak, I am so dizzy.

I think this makes you feel worse before better or it can be just the mav. I tend to blame meds.

Any advice and or support is welcome. I am at my wits end. I do not know how I am going to be able to go to my husband’s oncologist’s appt. today. I am a bundle of nerves, literally. My insides are so shaky.

Sorry to be such a downer. I felt so good for months, I went to soccer games, shopping, vacations, went out with friends, had parties…I had suffered so terribly then Verapamil had given me my life back. I was so grateful. Now it is gone…again. I keep telling myself that I am 35 and when I got mav I was 33. Hain thought normal hormone flucuations were the trigger. I am praying I will “outgrow” this. I don’t feel as strong as all of you are.

Nance

Hi Nance,

i am so saddened by your post. I really feel for you. I am so sorry to hear about your husband and your subsequent flare up. I know how thrilled you were to have your life back. I am confident that you will get well again. Your improvement in the past is good evidence of good health again. I know whenever I start a medication (except for verapamil - i didn’t have much side effects from that) I feel much dizzier for awhile. I think that is quite common, especially for the psychotropic drugs. please let us know how you do, and all the best to your husband.

Lisa

Dear Nance,

I am so sorry to read about your news …my heart breaks for you , your husband and children.

There is only so much stress we can handle and I think our bodies start to react…I have no idea about the medication but please know that you will get well again and you will have your life back ,it can be done remember that you have done it before and it will happen again…never give up, never.

Please keep us all posted and know that we are here for you as always even if you just need to vent or talk.

Hugs to you
Tammy

Nance,

I’m so sorry to hear what has been happening to you in the last month. What a difficult time this must be for you and your family.

I have very little info on effexor, but I will say I did take it for about 1 week several years ago for a severe depression I was going through. I had to stop because it gave me diarrhea. But the d was because of one of the inactive ingredients - sorbitol - to which I am very sensitive. Other than that I don’t remember any side effects and I am usually quite med sensitive. I hope it does the trick for you. In the meantime, can you take a small dose of valium or something similar just to get you through? It sounds like you are in a “crisis” type of situation where you really don’t have a lot of time to wait for something to work as you are needed every which way and you do need to take care of yourself also.

I hope things improve in all ways.

Book

Hi Nance, I too am very saddened by your news for both you and your husband. This illness is so diffcult without additional significant stressors like you and your familiy are going through. When I tried Effexor about a year ago I was so much dizzier the first 2-3 weeks. The first week or two I had severe brain fog also. I started at 1/3 of the 37.5 mg and worked up to 75 mg. In the end, it wasn’t for me - didnt help my dizziness and I was grinding my teeth very badly. I wish you all the best and I agree with Lisa that you have found success once before and will again - I just hope it comes sooner rather than later. I wish you and your husband the best. Ben

Hello Nance - yes, I read about your success on meds without having known you beforehand and so, like the others, felt very sad and disppointed on your behalf to hear about your present situation. I’m not at all surprised you’re struggling as you are with the phenomenal amount of stress you’re under. Personally what gets to me more than anything else is the feeling that I’m not going to be able to do what I need to do. That fear alone is enough to send my MAV up a few notches and increase my anxiety tenfold. You have had so much to cope with and sometimes we somehow get through the immediate crisis and then things catch up with us and wham, wer’e left reeling … in our cases literally. Trouble is there are still things to deal with and that’s when we feel totally overwhelmed.

I really hope things go well with your husband’s recovery Nance and that your combination of meds works for you. You surely will “outgrow” this as you put it. I have had so many relapses which I thought I’d never get over and come out of - a few of them brought on by times of great stress - but I did, so try to tell yourself that you WILL get through this. We’re always stronger than we think we are.

Wishing you and your family the very best

Brenda

Hi Nance,

Sent you a reply yesterday … hope you’re feeling better today. To echo what Book said, can you take valium to get through the acute stuff right now? It usually works well for most.

Scott

Hi Nance,

So sorry to hear you’re getting hammered on all fronts - it’s just not fair :x . I really hope you can get through this and turn a corner.

Best,
Vic