Flourescent lighting

Just wanted to include this here. Worth a look. Read through to the bottom.

https://www.axonoptics.com/light-sensitivity-glasses/

That’s a well known one on here. You’ll find a lot of posts if you search ‘light sensitivity’. Many references to tinted lens too. They’re very very useful, I’ve used tinted lens lots myself but they are only a sticking plaster. Amitriptyline or a beta blocker will generally sort light sensitivity provided it comes from migraine. It lowers the Central Sensitisation.

1 Like

I wear Theraspecs, though lately my light sensitivity is greatly reduced.

1 Like

Has anyone seen any merit in gradual exposure to fluorescent lighting to try to get the brain used to it? I have a pair of migraine glasses that I wear to work when I am able to go in, but I still get dizzy from the lights if I stay there longer than an hour. I thought about going in for 1 hour a day max to expose myself to the light but not so long that it triggers a migraine. I am wondering if anyone has tried something similar?

When I first started having light sensitivity, it was so severe that I could not go anywhere. At the time I did feel like the light would be a trigger for my dizziness.

After I started my preventative medication, propranolol my light sensitivity has significantly reduced, and I actually don’t have any at all on most days. I work at a hospital so every room and hallway I go into is a sterile, blue light environment. I wouldn’t say that I purposely try to expose myself to light, but it’s so happen because of the environment that I work in.

I will say that the nature of my sensitivity to light has drastically changed since I have been on my preventative medication. My sensitivity to light appears to be a premonition for migraine to come. I am sensitive to light only once or twice a week right before the pain of the migraine/vertigo hits me.

I would say it’s a great mindset to try to expose yourself to light in small doses. Our brain gets used to the stimulus that we provide them. Even an individual without MAV who does not expose themselves to light, would be extremely sensitive if they avoided lights for a while.

Another advice I would give you is try not to be fearful or anxious when you do expose yourself to light. I truly believe that anxiety and fear feeds into a negative feedback loop with pain and vertigo.
Good luck! Let us know your progression

Yes, horrid. I work in a school setting that makes it harder. But for me entering stores esp supermarkets is the worst. I go in feeling well but come out feeling sick and for a long time I did not know why this was happening until I started googling my symptoms and found I was not alone. Once I get sick, my entire day is ruined and I feel awful the rest of the day. I have to lie in bed and just chill for hours. It wastes my life and triggers me feel anxious and stressed. I purchased FL-41 glasses and wearing those and sunglasses on top, it is still really bad for me. So people who say the glasses help, they don’t help me!