Flu Shots

Just curious - how many have ever had a flu shot , or regularly get one?

I’ve had one in my entire life, and it just happened to be about a month before my “crash”. Of course, there is probably absolutely no correlation, but because of the timing, I swore I would never get another. :frowning:

Kim

I get one every year. Undoubtedly if and when I don’t, I get the flu, and the flu simply sucks.

Hey Brian,

I know some of us have touched on this topic before, but I’ve been thinking about it more, I guess its just that time of year.

Have you ever noticed an increase in your MAV symptoms after getting one? I’m also wondering, of the people that don’t get one, why not?

(Sorry, should have asked that to begin with, huh?)

Kim

Good question Kim,

I don’t get flu shots. I had never had one until I let somebody i was married to talk me into getting one two years in a row and suddenly my distant rocking started coming closer into view. In fact, after the second year, was when i had a mini-crash. After a viral like illness, i suffered six weeks of disabling dizziness - housebound, almost bedridden. How horrible i thought that was! And how glad I was when it went away. A medical professional told me at that time that sometimes it never goes away. i said “no!” I remember thinking “that would never happen to me!”

After that I did some reading about what flu shots and vaccinations actually do to the immune system and decided, they are not for me.

Julie

Thanks Julie. I don’t think I’ll ever get one again either. (Its unfortunate, because I would like to get one, I just can’t risk it.)

Curious to see what others have to say.

Kim

Hi Kim,

I don’t get the flu shot anymore because I have a pretty tough immune system. Besides this horrific migraine disease, I don’t get “sick” very often. I haven’t had the flu or even a full-blown cold in at least 10 years, maybe longer. It was mandatory to get flu shots when I was in the military years ago. I don’t remember them causing me any problems.

Marci

Hi Marci-

Thanks. Please, what do you do to pump up your immune system so much??? Are you just that naturally healthy??? Any supplements or anything??? (You have kids too, right??? I can’t hardly believe not having a cold in 10 years - thats incredible!!! :shock: )

Kim

I get a flu shot every year mainly because husb’s transplant - susceptibility to illness. Last year neither he nor dtr got a shot & they both got a horrible case of the flu … vomiting, fever, etc., lasted about a week for both of them. I caught what they had and mine was over with in two days.

I have my ‘free flu shot’ coupon from my insurance & am just waiting for the ‘clinic’ to come to town when I can get to it.

— Begin quote from “AZdizzy”

Hi Marci-

Thanks. Please, what do you do to pump up your immune system so much??? Are you just that naturally healthy??? Any supplements or anything??? (You have kids too, right??? I can’t hardly believe not having a cold in 10 years - thats incredible!!! :shock: )

Kim

— End quote

I believe I naturally have a strong immune system because both my mom and my biological daughter rarely get sick (although more often than I do). A few times a year I will feel like I have a cold coming on but after 2-3 days the feeling is gone. When I was younger (in my twenties), I would get one bad cold a year, but I haven’t really had a cold since I ran a daycare a decade ago. Being around all of those kids may have helped build up my immune system. I also got in the habit of washing my hands a lot when I had the daycare. They say that is the best thing you can do to prevent getting a virus.

I was talking to a elderly man at a wedding once, who was saying that some people are born without the correct genes to be able to aquire the Flu.
I know nothing of his theory, he told me he knew this to be true.
as he couldnt catch the flu, only other virus’s,
who know’s he could have been full of #!*

And Kim that’s a very interesting question, as I had my one and only flu shot, 4 months prior to going to china, the shot made me very sick indeed, I swore I’d never have another.
My mav came after my stressful trip to china.

jen