Food For Thought

Could the agony of migraine be a particularly painful illusion ?
Helen Phillips explains why a controversial theory could shed light on this mysterious condition.

headacheaustralia.org.au/?p=196

Heather

Hain sums it up like this:

There is a baseline hyperexcitability in a migraineur.

Environmental events push past a threshold leading to:

—cortical spreading depression which causes aura
—which leads to trigeminal nucleus caudalis stimulation and release of inflammatory neuropeptides
—which leads to vasodilation and allodynia (a painful response to a usually non-painful stimulus)

Pain and sensitization leads to positive feedback.

We feel pain that others wouldn’t feel, we see things others wouldn’t see, hear things others wouldn’t hear, smell things others wouldn’t smell and even time is distorted. Surreal to say the least.

— Begin quote from “Julie”

Hain sums it up like this:

There is a baseline hyperexcitability in a migrainer

Environmental events push past a threshold leading to:

—cortical spreading depression which causes aura
—which leads to trigeminal nucleus caudalis stimulation and release of inflammatory neuropeptides
—which leads to vasodilation and allodynia (a painful response to a usually non-painful stimulus)

Pain and sensitization leads to positive feedback

We feel pain that others wouldn’t feel, we see things others wouldn’t see, hear things others wouldn’t hear, smell things others wouldn’t smell and even time is distorted. Surreal to say the least.

— End quote

Julie,

Your quote taken wrong sounds like it is trying to make us out to be crazy. :lol:

Yep, I had the same thought,

And maybe that’s why so many of us feel crazy, or feel accused of being crazy. And it may be why people around us (family, friends, sometimes get impatient with us). We see, hear, feel, smell things others don’t - we must be crazy OR - we have a hyper-excitable brain.

We may not be crazy Brian, just weird :slight_smile: i.e. “it ain’t easy being green”

Julie

— Begin quote from “Julie”

We may not be crazy Brian, just weird

— End quote

Gifted :smiley:

Heather

— Begin quote from “Heather”

Gifted :smiley:

Heather

— End quote

A gift which is also a curse :slight_smile:

I knew you’d finish my thought for me. :slight_smile: