Food Triggers - How quickly do they hit?

For those who have food triggers, how quickly after you consume one of your triggers do start getting the consequences?

up to 3 days apparently!

So it could take up to three days to have problems with something you ate or drank? The delay might lead you to believe there is something else going on.

i dont understand how it works the other way though… how long should it take without eating triggers that you see a positive effect? 2-3 months?

Yeh good point Richy. I haven’t seen any difference with the diet so just sticking to Dr Silver’s recommendation which is no caffeine or chocolate except nestle Milkybar which I can’t get enough of!

— Begin quote from “Jem”

Yeh good point Richy. I haven’t seen any difference with the diet so just sticking to Dr Silver’s recommendation which is no caffeine or chocolate except nestle Milkybar which I can’t get enough of!

— End quote

is that all Dr Silver says? no caffeine and chocolate? how about alcohol?

Milkybar has natural flavourings doesn’t it? They can contain MSG…

For me, the consequences hit about 20-60 min later. And if I have a late meal or snack of “forbidden” food (I mean just food I know is a trigger but I eat it anyway), I’ll end up with a nasty headache in the middle of the night & a hangover feeling around 0500.

The idea of food affecting me 36+ hours later makes me feel hopeless so I don’t believe that. There are too many other triggers that could be a problem. So, for me, it’s specific symptoms within an hour or a boatload all at once about 4 hours later.

Molly

Richy - he doesn’t mention alcohol so I assume it is ok on Dr Silver’s diet.

Dee - Dr Silver doesn’t care about MSG his only diet restrictions are as follows:-

1. No caffeine, ie tea, coffee and chocolate EXCEPT Milkybar
  2. Painkillers no more than 5 times per year
  3. Drink 3 litres of fluid per day

He says there is no evidence that other dietary restrictions work to prevent migraine except those detailed above.

— Begin quote from “Jem”

Dee - Dr Silver doesn’t care about MSG his only diet restrictions are as follows:-

He says there is no evidence that other dietary restrictions work to prevent migraine except those detailed above.

— End quote

Doesn’t a lot that depend on the person? For example, when I eat red grapes…I immediately get more dizzy and my symptoms get worse. Along with the standard triggers such as chocolate, Aged cheese, caffeine, etc. I also notice my symptoms get worse after eating red apples…which some say because of the tannins or something.

P.S. My triggers can hit me almost immediately.

Yes it definitely is an individual thing. All these doctors have their own guidelines and advice which differ from each other but, regardless of what their generic advice is, I am sure they would all agree that if an individual can identify a specific food trigger for themselves, even if it is not a known migraine trigger food, then they would be advised to avoid it.

I am really surprised about the amount of variations in diets prescribed by various neurologists.

I find Dr Surenthirans really tough to stick to. I could easily stick to Dr Silvers but why is there such a gap between them?

Dr Silver claims his diet is based on the scientific evidence whereas perhaps Dr Surenthiran and Buchholz diets are based on their own experience with their patients and what they report as triggers. For example Dr Surenthiran says on his diet sheet ‘some people have a problem with eggs’ as though it has been reported to him by some patients but many will not have this trigger.

Hi for me the fallout usually hits the next day. So if I eat a pile of chocolate at say 3 PM, I’ll wake up the next day with a sore neck and then have neck and head pain all day. :shock:

— Begin quote from “Jem”

— End quote

Dr SIlver’s 3 litres of fluid looks very ambitious. I couldn’t manage to take that much!

As an alternative I wonder if I could drink a litre or two of Oral Rehydrating Solution? I mean the sort you can mix yourself at home from salt, sugar and maybe fruit juice. Has anyone tried this?