Food Triggers

Hello everyone. I am going ‘back’ to the elimination diet. One article I read said, no meat. Is this the case? I thought fresh meats were a safe bet! I can do breakfast and dinner…what do you eat for lunch? Ive been living off of organic, uncured, no nitrate/nitrite or sulfate/sulfites added Hot Dogs! Gross!!! Any other ideas? And does anyone have a link to the Elimination Diet…each site I find has a different food added to it…when combined, there is nothing left to eat.

Mel, You’re right, every elimination diet seems to be a little different. Previous to my vertigo I was on a low cholesterol diet, then came the vertigo and the doctor put me on a low sodium diet, then I went on the anti-migraine diet and finally the elimination diet. There is so little left to eat. I think I am feeling better after giving up gluten, dairy, peanuts, cashews, chocolate, and everything else under the sun. I eat NO processed food, no food that others have made unless I comfortable enough to grill them about what is in it, no restaurant food, no frozen dinners, no canned dinners, no deli meats.

I do eat fruits and vegetables, rice, potatoes, quiona (sp?), chicken, red meat (I cut meat out when I went low-cholesterol but added it back in so I wouldn’t die of starvation), puffed rice for breakfast, gluten free ginger snaps by Mi-Del are delicious, buckwheat muffins. Seems everytime I bring a food back into my life I feel off/carsick/dizzy/etc. no matter what the food. I’ve recently been having one of those little cup sized ice-creams once a week and have been doing okay with that. But that is my only dairy. I’m pretty strict on the no gluten.

I think the important thing with the elimination diet is to pick some foods you know don’t give you a problem, lamb, veggies, rice maybe and stick with that for a couple of weeks, then try bringing one thing at a time back in and see how you feel. Keep track of everything you eat.

There are good books out there on this. I’ll try to find the name of the one I got out of the libray and pass that on to you.

Book

Mel,

I found the name of the book I got out of the library. It is Food Allergies and Food Intolerance: The Complete Guide to Their Identification and Treatment by Jonathan Brostoff M.D., Linda Gamlin, Jonathan Brostoff, Jonathan Brostoff. It covers a lot. There are many, many books out there on food allergies and it is easy to get bogged down trying to figure everything out. My personal advice would be to just pick one of these books and follow that (after talking with the doctor, of course). I get too overwhelmed when there is too much information going into my head and need to simplify things.

And as you are probably aware of there are also many cookbooks for allergy free cooking. I wish I had the time to try some of them so I could add a little variety to my very boring diet.

Book

Mel, another perspective comes from the fact that you’ll find people on this board who report that they have no problem with just about any of the foods listed as triggers. I am glad that I started out with a set of rather radical restrictions, based on the combination of two lists. This cleared up my MAV pretty well, and now my doc has advised me to experiment, careful, adding one food at a time, checking my response for a week, or if necessary two.

BTW, no gluten problem here, nor dairy problem–tho I haven’t yet experimented with the MAV-warning dairy products.