Freaking Out

Ok so i took my first dose of the antibiotic Bactrim last night and was just really tired but yesterday i also startd getting up at 6:30 from 8:00 so i figure that is why i am tired…but other than that i was fine…this morning again i got up again at 6:30 well i took my other dose at 7am and am wicked tired again that could be from getting up early…well i was sitting on couch wicked tired and got up and was trying to tlak to my daughter and i was out of breath…kinda freaked me out a little and saw it in the pamphlet as a serious side effect is trouble breathing…well i all of a sudden had hot flashes and a panic attack…i so want to attribute the shortness of breath to a panic attack that was brewing and i just didnt realize it… I dont want to call the dr cause i call them ALL the time and I am begining to think they are beginning to think I am a hypochondriac and I have taken 2 doses of this antibiotic already and have 4 more to go so i would prefer to just get through it but i am scared this could be serious or just get worse and I seriously mess up my body or something…why do you think i was short of breath??

Did you read the pamphlet before all this? If you did, I think (with no offence intended) that it all happened because of you fearing it. I’m pretty sure I’ve had that happen to myself a couple of times since I usually read up way too much before I start taking a medication.

It could of course also have been a panic attack that would have happened regardless of you reading that or not… It would surprise me if lack of sleep did not make panic attacks more frequent, but I don’t have a source on that.

My thoughts in short: unless it gets worse, OR you honestly believe it’s a side effect (freaking yourself out doesn’t count, or I would’ve had every side effect there is for a medication :wink:

DD,

what preventatives are you on? Some preventatives have Bactrim as a contraindication.

Julie

i am on nortriptyline

you’re okay

have you had your thyriod checked?

— Begin quote from “jennyd”

have you had your thyriod checked?

— End quote

Good advice :slight_smile:
I’d suggest asking for adrenal tests at the same time (cortisol + ACTH at least).

anyone ever lay down for a while and get up and be wicked lightheaded like you are going to fall over if you dont grab something?

yes i have had thyroid checked and like a million other things not adrenal though i dont think

Yep, and I bet I’m not the only one here who can say that.

DD - Before I started treatment, I couldn’t walk upright without holding onto anything in my reach. I literally would fall into walls. The floor never felt solid beneath my feet, and laying down wasn’t much better. I would just spin. Its no wonder I was a basket case. Who wouldn’t be?

Kim

DD,

you ought to read the second thread on this forum: POST YOUR STORY HERE to educate yourself as to what others are going through. Yes, most of us have felt that symptom and MUCH WORSE.

JJ

DD,

since there are so many stories to go through in the POST YOUR STORY HERE, let me give you the quickest answer I can to your question.

In short, I was bedridden for a year. Why? Because I was SO dizzy i couldn’t stand. the floor was whipping beneath my feet. And I had responsibilities too. I had a business to run or we would have had to sell the house. i had to hang onto the desk and look at the monitor sideways, squinting, because I couldn’t focus on anything. Most of the day i kept my eyes closed, lying in bed, because the world was whipping around so fast i was terrified.

I was so weak i couldn’t stand from a squat without my husband’s help. it took me all day to eat a bowl of rice and vegetables, shaking as i brought each spoonful to my mouth.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, but if you’ve gotten this far, i’m sure you’ve heard enough.

if you ever have any free time, read the stories of other members of this forum, or some of the threads besides your own, and you will find people in much worse shape than me, or you. As well, you will find many of your questions answered - this forum is like an MAV encyclopedia.

Julie

— Begin quote from “DesperatlyDizzy”

anyone ever lay down for a while and get up and be wicked lightheaded like you are going to fall over if you dont grab something?

— End quote

DD,

It takes me twenty minutes or so before my balance is OK in the morning. I’ve gotten up in a hurry a couple of times when one of the kids was sick in the middle of the night only to find myself on the floor in my son’s room.

I wasn’t able to do the midnight feeding of our children when they were babies either. It was about the second night that our oldest son was home that I got up to feed him to let my wife sleep. I came out of the nursery bouncing off of the hallway walls only to be greeted by my wife with instructions to give the baby to her and go back to bed.

Brian it’s probably just the anti derpessants she’s on,
giving her that feeling on faintness, we all get when we first stand up.
or get out of bed,
when the blood pressure hasnt leveled. its a common problem.
just stomp your feet on the floor a few times before you stand up.
take it slow.

I’m sure you missed the latest thread by Jen - “MAV resources.” And i’m not sure you’ll bother reading this either, but it may be the most important post in this entire thread, so please, listen up - i’m quoting Jen, but i’ve been meaning to say it myself, so i take full responsibility for any fall-out:

We’re not doctors - do yourself a favor and take a look at Jen’s post. She’ll direct you to even better information than I did in my post.

Julie