Future with MAV?

Hi I am very curious about this and am hoping someone can help me. Im currently on topamax and am hoping that does the trick for my near constant swaying and migraines more often then not, I’m concerned though that after all this struggle to find the right med I’ll find it and then after awhile it will stop working, is this common with topamax and other migraine meds? My other question is if most people have to be on medicine indefinitely with this MAV or if after awhile of feeling great on the right meds you could wean off and do well without? Or is it pretty much a lifetime of migraine meds? Thanks so much.

I’ve heard from doctors that after 2 years of being on a preventative, you can attempt to get off of them. Attempt being the operative word. There are people who were on a med that was working, got off it, did okay for a bit, but then suffered again onlky to find their old med didn’t work the second go around.
That scares me!!
Once again with Migraine…it’s a crap shoot. Good question tho!
Kelley

I ask myself the same question every day. The thought of being on a migraine preventative drug for life scares me. The thought of a successful migraine preventative drug not working after some time scares me even more. I face 24/7 brain fog, imbalance, heavy head, intermittent sharp head and neck aches and morning nausea and visual distubances. I am new to all this and on my first migraine preventative drug pizotifen for little over two weeks. So far I have not noticed any changes in my symptoms. Maybe a slight reductions in my offbalance feeling but thats about it. No idea how long will I have to deal with junk but its extremely depressing.

Nabeel

— Begin quote from “nabeel”

I ask myself the same question every day. The thought of being on a migraine preventative drug for life scares me. The thought of a successful migraine preventative drug not working after some time scares me even more.

— End quote

An even scarier third possibility is never managing to find a migraine preventative which works. :frowning:

I ask myself the same question every day. The thought of being on a migraine preventative drug for life scares me. The thought of a successful migraine preventative drug not working after some time scares me even more. I face 24/7 brain fog, imbalance, heavy head, intermittent sharp head and neck aches and morning nausea and visual distubances. I am new to all this and on my first migraine preventative drug pizotifen for little over two weeks. So far I have not noticed any changes in my symptoms. Maybe a slight reductions in my offbalance feeling but thats about it. No idea how long will I have to deal with junk but its extremely depressing.

Nabeel

— End quote

It is scary and frustrating, I’ve been dealing with it over a year now with no help yet but I do believe your body gets more used to it and you are gonna have good time even when your not on the right meds. You will find this right medicine it just may take awhile or a combo of medicine. VERY few people don’t find the right medicine and it’s mostly because they give up. I know it’s scary but hang in there and believe it’ll get better, I know it’s hard not to worry about the future all the time which will only make symptoms worse.

— Begin quote from “Wexan”

I ask myself the same question every day. The thought of being on a migraine preventative drug for life scares me. The thought of a successful migraine preventative drug not working after some time scares me even more.

— End quote

An even scarier third possibility is never managing to find a migraine preventative which works. :frowning:

— End quote

Those people are VERY FEW and far between and specific cases of usually them givin up or not working with the correct doctor or getting the right diagnosis so let’s try not to scare people and worry ourselves with such negative thoughts but I know it’s really hard.

I am one of the ones who, after two years on a succesful med (Prothiaden), gradually weaned off it, was fine for a year, got sick again went back on the Prothiaden but it didn’t work the second time around.

There are many very good reasons I got off the Prothiaden so I don’t beat myself up about stopping it but if I had my time over, I don’t know, maybe it would have been better to stay on it.

I’m currently on Periactin, at the therapeutic dose my neurologist advised of 12mg and I’m no better, in fact I had a very bad day yesterday. Having said that I think I have just slowly been going into remission for the last few weeks anyway and hopefully yesterday was just a blip (although I feel pretty shaky today too).

Heavy sigh.

bummer about the periactin Vic :frowning:

maybe add some cayenne to the turmeric?

— Begin quote from “lorcalon”

bummer about the periactin Vic :frowning:

maybe add some cayenne to the turmeric?

— End quote

It is a bummer. I mean it’s still early days so maybe it will kick in but I’m not betting the farm on it.

Cayene, tumeric, perhaps a little Garam Masala and a pinch of nutmeg?

— Begin quote from “Victoria”

It is a bummer. I mean it’s still early days so maybe it will kick in but I’m not betting the farm on it.

Cayene, tumeric, perhaps a little Garam Masala and a pinch of nutmeg?

— End quote

Well I nothing else you’ll have the makings of a great curry…