Getting hammered!

Hi sorry me again, I’m feeling some serious temptation to go out and get drunk esp after all I’ve been through the past 5/6 months with this horrible dizziness, has anyone done this!!! Think it’s the Christmas party atmosphere leading me astray!! I am on 37mg nori so prob shouldn’t but sorely tempted…sorry to raise such a non-PC topic on the forum!! x

I am feeling exactly the same way - but i know the dizziness would be unreal the next day and also, i wouldn’t be able to walk or stand into the pub anyway!

I did this a couple of years ago. I got “hammered” on just one rather large wine (which shocked me a bit) but I hadnt drunk for years. I was looking at some photos, dropped them on the floor, bent over to pick them up and nearly “fell over”, but was feeling pleasantly relaxed and “in the party” mood. After all, it was Christmas.
Went home and had a severe vertigo attack. Never again for me, not worth it :frowning:

Christine

Since I got MAV I have never had any desire for alcohol at all. I guess feeling dizzy all the time I just could not face feeling drunk too but then again I am hopeless with alcohol especially wine, always have been. Literally half a small glass of wine gives me a headache straight away and nearly knocks me out x

If you can put side the next day as a one where you will not be able to do anything, then go out with a bang. I do it occasionally – cocktails or white spirits. Then the next day I white knuckle the fallout. :shock:

I have one or two drinks from time to time and I don’t get a migraine or any more dizzy than I was before I had the drinks. I say go for it. I haven’t been hammered since being diagnosed with MAV but what the heck… you only live once and you gotta have some fun once in a while. :lol:

Quite agreed, you have to live a little! Esp as this has really limited my life, so I might just go for a few and see what happens!! Thank u all. xx

I like to have some drinks from time to time, and when I am feeling good the drinks don’t make me feel any worse. I am having a bit of a relapse right now, and agree that for the holidays I would like to enjoy some drinks as well. I think you should go for it. I am sure while you are drinking you will feel better…kind of like your old self…you may have some mor dizziness the next day but that will ease up. Just don’t go crazy…if you feel worse the next day it may just be a hangover!

I think you can guess what my response to this post will be before I write it :slight_smile:

I agree with Scott…
— Begin quote from “scott”

If you can put side the next day as a one where you will not be able to do anything, then go out with a bang. I do it occasionally – cocktails or white spirits. Then the next day I white knuckle the fallout. :shock:

— End quote

If you can write off the following 24 hours and be prepared to feel like crap, in exchange for having a good night out, DO IT! I have to say, I would rather go out, enjoy myself, and have a bloody good time, and forget about feeling dizzy and take the horrific hangover, than stay in and not have a life.

Chances are you’ll feel great while you’re out, and if you’re going to be feeling crap through MAV anyway, there’s little differnce?! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry, I know this isn’t the right attitude, and I’m the devil on your shoulder, especially as I have already told you all Dr S’s response when I asked why I shouldn’t mix alcohol with Topamax/Nort/Propranolol (it acts as a depressant)… And I have to admit to getting palpatations on an especially bad hangover, like with the hangover I had all day Friday, after my work Xmas do, where I got so blind drunk, I can’t remember 3 hours of the night, had no control of what I was saying, and made a tit of myself… but I had a good time!! :slight_smile:

I only have one word of warning… and that is that, unfortunately, you have to be a little bit careful of who sees you drinking sometimes- for instance, it can give a conflicting view to colleagues if they know that I need them to be patient with me with the office lighting etc, and they all saw me eat a different starter and dessert to them, but then they saw me counteract this all with bucket loads of wine… I’m not sure how much sympathy and dare I saw, belief, some of them attribute to my ‘dizzy head’ issue they know I have- we all know it doesn’t mean I’m suffering any less, but I can see it would give them the wrong impression of my illness.

GOOD LUCK !

HI
I know red wine is a killer for me, but alcohol actually ups your GABA levels, which is why it is a “downer”…it’s relaxing etc…a lot of people self medicate with alcohol for those effects. That being said, I’m suprised alcohol isn’t more helpful for us LOL
Other than feeling lousy, whether migraineur or not, I don’t have any worsening effects from drinking…unless its red wine…then no good!
Kelley

I don’t seem to have the same response to alcohol as most on this forum, but I learned a long time ago that the whole “migraine diet” thing doesn’t really apply to me. Granted I do feel a little worse the next day after a heavy night of drinking (maybe more photophobia and brain fog) but overall I don’t ever feel much worse. I basiaclly only drink vodka and beer now, but I tend to drink a few nights a week. I don’t enjoy being drunk like I used to, but I for sure do not avoid it. I guess it’s up to you. If you know alcohol is a trigger for you and you will regret it, you already have your answer…

I get the same craving for alcohol every so often. It’s best to stay away in my opinion. It doesn’t just affect me the next day but usually messes me up and increases my symptoms for at least 2-3 weeks.

How did you get on? The last few times Ive drank I have span out for days after havent touched it really now in two years but have had the odd half glass of wine or half and alcho pop I really miss it and if I didnt have kids i have to get up I would be drinking a few times a month and suffer the consequences but I have people relying on me so cant afford to write off two or three days but yes I miss it and hope to get reacquainted one day in future :slight_smile:

Hey I got drunk with all my family on boxing day and genuinely had the best day I’ve had in 6 months and wasn’t any the dizzier the next day!! have had a couple of wines on all the other days over Christmas and touch wood it doesn’t seem to have done me any harm. I have to admit I’ve eaten dairy, chocolate, cheese, the lot and it hasn’t had any bad effects either, don’t know what to make of it!!! I also forgot to take my nori one night and actually felt alot less dizzy the next dat, go figure!!! I was prepared top suffer the consequences but diet and alcohol don’t seem to have any impact…weird! xxxx

— Begin quote from “DizzieLizzie1”

Hey I got drunk with all my family on boxing day and genuinely had the best day I’ve had in 6 months and wasn’t any the dizzier the next day!! have had a couple of wines on all the other days over Christmas and touch wood it doesn’t seem to have done me any harm. I have to admit I’ve eaten dairy, chocolate, cheese, the lot and it hasn’t had any bad effects either, don’t know what to make of it!!! I also forgot to take my nori one night and actually felt alot less dizzy the next dat, go figure!!! I was prepared top suffer the consequences but diet and alcohol don’t seem to have any impact…weird! xxxx

— End quote

Wow! Slightly Jealous of you right now! Glad you have a good time with your family :slight_smile:

Happy new year all! I will be getting royally hammered tonight for the first time in 9 months I think.

Enjoy and I hope I’m still able to use te comp tomo to give u all am update on my MAV hangover

Khal x

Happy New Year! Have a great time! Hope you feel ok the next day :smiley:

the next day? I hope you all feel okay when next Year comes around! (Ba-dum.)

So just to give you all an update. I had 4 glasses of cava and 5 single vodkas mixed with cranberry juice. I felt fine during the night, in fact, I felt great. Even danced most of the night as well.

So when I got home, the vertigo defineltey increased during the night. I had a losy nights sleep, so had a hangover from hell today, basically I haven’t got out of bed until now…body is in pain all over because I haven’t danced for probably 9 months or so!

So, I guess the lesson learnt is, yes i can have one or two drinks (and not 9). Also make sure the next day I can just sit in bed.

Hope everyone is having a great start to 2013

Khal.

I have been up in Liverpool since last Friday and have been hammered everynight… my symptoms are always better with alcohol and I can stand up much easier without the feelings of unsteadiness.

The hangovers are the same as they were before MAV. My symptoms dont increase, they are just constant…

I might just become an alcoholic :slight_smile: