The Migraine Associated Vertigo Community
Read our welcome post, user support wiki & visit our member recommended products page

Gidlabu's success story

Certainly is.

No doubt outside the scope of this thread but I cannot help but wonder how much influence the possible cause of the MAV influences the stages of regaining control. Must do surely. I’ve had a couple or three spaced, individual one-week periods totally free of symptoms and it’s reassuring to know ‘underneath’ isn’t actually broken. It can still work 100% but mine doesn’t seem able to sustain it longer than that so far. Helen

5 Likes

This is so amazing to hear!!! I have a question: what spurred the keto diet? Do you think it’s a significant component to your recovery?

1 Like

Wonderful to read @gidlabu! :two_hearts::two_hearts:
We can hope for a drug free life together! :crossed_fingers::pray:

By the way… how fab is Keto?! :crazy_face:Super charges weight loss too! Win! :heart_eyes:

Keep going friend! You’re smashing it! :facepunch:

3 Likes

I tried to do it while on gabaP but it made me feel very odd. So was keen to start as soon as off gabaP

1 Like

Yes, we’ll get there in the end…

2 Likes

Congrats! Enjoy life !

Goes to show how one can get life back with the right drugs. Trials aided by good Dr goes a long way.

2 Likes

Hi @gidlabu

This is great - and very encouraging for everyone. I think Dr S is excellent - I am so glad I found my way to to him last year! I am sure you will be able to come of the meds at some stage!
Jan x

1 Like

Hi Gidablu
A massive congrats on getting to symptom free - a remarkable state to be in to which we all aspire. Your post gives hope to the rest of us that this can be achieved. I am doing well on Effexor 125mg but am not so well that I can say I feel like “it never happened”. I recently changed neuro and she is determined to get “full symptom control”, in her opinion anything less than that is just limping along. She is talking about adding in another med, possibly beta progane betablocker if I am not fixed by the time I get to 150mg Effexor. I tried Candesartan 6mg and 8mg before but it dipped my BP too low - can I ask what dose you are on as it would be interesting to hear how little/much was required to get you symptom free.
Thanks
Karen

2 Likes

Hello everybody.
I thought I’d check in and give a little update.
I am still symptom-free nearly all the time :sunglasses::heart_eyes::partying_face::+1::drum::star_struck:

On 6mg Candesartan and 2.5mg Pizotifen daily. I’ve been having some side effects from Candasartan (nearly blacking out occasionally when going from bent over like tying shoelaces to standing up rapidly) but these are tolerable as not too frequent.
Still on Keto diet.
A handful of mini-migraine auras lasting not more than an hour each over the last few months, notably when I stopped candesartan for a few days. But that’s all! Amazing!
I’m not ready to come off the meds yet, although I really want to, I’m going to wait until Dr S says the time is right.

Overall, I just feel pretty normal nearly all the time.

I hope this gives you some encouragement if you are out there feeling as sh*t as I was 2 years ago…

Good luck everybody. Persevere, keep trying different meds to find what’s right for you. And cut the stress as much as you possibly can.

9 Likes

That’s fantastic! I just dropped my workload by about 65%. YOU have been on my mind for several months. I find myself thinking, @gidlabu did it. So can I. Thanks for the much needed encouragement, even when you’re not around and don’t know you’re doing it. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Hey
I went up from 4mg candesartan to 6mg daily (plus my usual 2.5mg Pizotifen) and I have had pretty close to zero symptoms in the last month.
:+1:
Also still on low carb/keto diet.

I have been working a lot, doing a lot of screentime and driving long distances - all seem ok :+1:

I have gone back to drinking coffee :grimacing: but surviving it so far.

I hope this drug/diet combo will do the trick so that eventually I’ll get off the meds…

Good luck to all those out there still searching for the magic recipe. It does exist, but takes a while to get there…!

:sunglasses:

PS also on magnesium and Vit B2 daily as per Dr S recommendation.

7 Likes

Great stuff! What leads you to believe you still need the meds?

Good Q.

I stopped for a few days in the spring and again in summer and immediately got classic migraine.

2 Likes

Well if you are tolerating them with minimal side effects then no rush. Personally I got sick of the slow bowel so eventually the off meds symptoms were less than the on meds!

Keep up the good work! :weight_lifting_man:t3:

Glad to hear again someone is going great! May I ask how is your sleep? Do you have any problems?

I sleep like a log - Pizotifen does that!

Have you gained any weight on Piztofen?

Yes, loads. Small price to pay for getting my life back. I have lost most of the weight now.

4 Likes

It doesn’t help me sleep at night unfortunately!

Great news!