Gingko alert

Gingko Baloba can be helpful to some people. HOWEVER, if you are particularly sensitive to plants such as poison ivy, the urushiol sensitivity could well cause substantial diarrhea, without acclimation. It happened to me, and my neurotologist at Washington Hospital Center had never heard of this–nor had the manufacturer of the supplement he advised taking (and hawked). But the warning is there at NIH’s NCCAM site.

Thanks for the heads up David. Just shows that just because something is “natural” that there is no guarantee that it doesn’t come with all sorts of side effects that we can see in any other medication.

Scott

I always caution patients that supplements are not regulated by the FDA or any other governing body and that always scares me a bit personally as well as professionally. Because of this, you just never know exactly what you are taking into your body and a reaction you might have to one product may not be to the actual active ingredient you think you are consuming… food for thought :smiley:

So what about Vit. supplements that are recommended by physicians ? How do you know what you are using when buying those over the counter?

Hi Timeless,

Vitamins are pretty straight forward and there’s not much risk associated with them. For the most part if you overdosed on vitamin C or B you would probably just have expensive urine. But even vitamin B does not always go down well. Adam avoids it like the plague because it does to him exactly what Ginko did to David. There’s no guarantees. I can’t handle CoQ10 or B2 in recommended doses. It just causes nausea and dizziness.

Scott

Hi Timeless,
Vitamins are not regulated by the FDA either. If you buy them, I would just advise buying from a reputable company. But for the most part, and I know many will disagree with me on this forum, most Americans (I cannot speak for other countries), are not deficient in any of the vitamins, and supplements are not necessary. I do recommend for women to take calcium and sometimes vitamin D if deficient. From my knowledge of the literature, supplements such as the B vitamins, magnesium, and Co q10 in SOME studies show a lessening of migraine symptoms (pain). I even asked my neuro and there is no evidence for these supplements in helping MAV. :frowning:
lisa

I think most people can or should be able to get Vit. in their food. But i tested very low for Vit D and have to be on a supplement until my levels get back within normal ranges.

As I have discovered not all Vit. are made the same some add a lot of fillers that can be problematic for some people. Especially many of them include soy, gluten and yeast (all of which can be triggers for some with migraines).

I also have to take B12 as I am deficient in this Vit as well.

Timeless,

Check out www.iherb.com for vitamins. They sell very well-respected brands at rock bottom prices. Now Foods and Jarrow make good products. They tell you exactly what’s in it. I can’t handle gel caps I have discovered. Enteric coated or veggie caps are fine. Apparently gel caps contain MSG (Tran made me aware of this).

Scott