Gravity 3D

Just a word of warning. If you suffer with dizziness and are likely triggered by visual motion DO NOT watch this movie.

The effects are absolutely amazing, so much so that you actually feel like you are spinning uncontrollably through space.

I do not know how I made it through this movie but even normal healthy folk were likely throwing up watching this movie somewhere around the world…

Yeah, I’ll be giving that a miss! :shock:

i was totally going to post about this- so basically whenever the people were spinning, or the camera was spinning around them, I felt like I was then spinning and had to look away from the screen. I went bc others wanted to see it but it is like a slap in a dizzy persons face lol. i was fine after though i just had to keep looking away!!!

I have started going to the cinema again and saw the trailer for this film. Just the trailer was enough, I had to close my eyes. I’d rather do the caloric test than watch this.

lol katherine yea it basically is like doing that for 2 hrs straight

Well, that made me curious enough to try the trailer–not in a theatre; on my monitor full-screen.

What I found most disconcerting was the hyperventilation, which it’s easy to copy. The sound effects, too. The visuals would be much less daunting without these.

And yep, I wouldn’t go watch the 3-D flick, not if I wanted to sleep that night.

Yep def. those that suffer from visual vertigo shud give this one a miss. I watched it on 2D not even 3D and was getting extremely uncomfortable and closed my eyes a number of times during the movie. Though I found the movie to be awesome

Hah, yeah I saw this is IMAX 3D. The migraine glasses helped a bit, but I had to look away a few times. The positive is that it doesn’t use as many camera cuts as is normal for a film like this, so that helped me stay a bit more grounded.

strangly enough…i was fine watching this movie. it was ok, i enjoyed the special effects but my friend & her son went & they actually walked out. :shock: i think her son has ADD & it was a bit slow for him to follow…i dunno.

Lucky teddy bear, to manage a foetal position.

Heard an interview with an astronaut yesterday. He dismissed the dramatic elements such as balls of flame, but said the film got the visual experience of being in space absolutely right. Makes it tempting.

Though I’ve experienced enough queasiness the last few days that it probably would be kind of me not to. It doesn’t seem right to create a strong possibility that the other cinema patrons will be exposed to someone barfing in the next aisle, then dramatically staggering out.

This is good to know as I was thinking about seeing it tomorrow. But now you’ve got my curiosity spiked. I’ve heard great things about this movie. It’s already receiving Oscar buzz.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll report back when I’ve seen it.

MP :smiley:

This is good to know as I was thinking about seeing it tomorrow. But now you’ve got my curiosity spiked. I’ve heard great things about this movie. It’s already receiving Oscar buzz.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll report back when I’ve seen it.

MP :smiley:

I went to the movies last week with my wife, and Gravity was only showing in 3D. I decided that discretion was the better part of valor, so we went to see Don Jon instead. It was fun, and didn’t cause any dizziness. Glad I made the right decision.

I too am interested–but more interested in Bad Grandpa.

— Begin quote from "david shapiro"

I too am interested–but more interested in Bad Grandpa.

— End quote

Hi David:
I saw Bad Grandpa and strongly recommend it. It was such a funny movie,I could not stop laughing.

Katie

All I can say is THANK YOU for posting this. I thought I was the only one who was getting sick from it, and that was just the previews on my No-D 32" TV. I will NEVER watch this movie - ever. Not for $1 Billion.

Seriously, I don’t know what the need is for this kind of movie anyway. I never cared for it, even before MAV. I personally don’t need hyper-realism, nor do I need it in 3D. There are tons of movies without this crap visual style that are considered cinematic classics. I highly doubt Gravity will be put into the same category.

— Begin quote from "MAV1138"

All I can say is THANK YOU for posting this. I thought I was the only one who was getting sick from it, and that was just the previews on my No-D 32" TV. I will NEVER watch this movie - ever. Not for $1 Billion.

Seriously, I don’t know what the need is for this kind of movie anyway. I never cared for it, even before MAV. I personally don’t need hyper-realism, nor do I need it in 3D. There are tons of movies without this crap visual style that are considered cinematic classics. I highly doubt Gravity will be put into the same category.

— End quote

The cinematic style has been praised by many, and I thoroughly enjoyed it despite needing to look away a few times in the IMAX. It’s not everyone’s preferred type of movie (just like any genre, including classics), but I wouldn’t draw such a harsh conclusion about the merits of the movie as a whole based on a sensitive population getting sick from it. Just my opinion, of course. If anyone still wants to see it, maybe try it out when it hits Redbox. That way, you are only wasting a few dollars if you can’t make it through for whatever reason.

— Begin quote from "DizzyForLife?"

The cinematic style has been praised by many, and I thoroughly enjoyed it despite needing to look away a few times in the IMAX. It’s not everyone’s preferred type of movie (just like any genre, including classics), but I wouldn’t draw such a harsh conclusion about the merits of the movie as a whole based on a sensitive population getting sick from it. Just my opinion, of course. If anyone still wants to see it, maybe try it out when it hits Redbox. That way, you are only wasting a few dollars if you can’t make it through for whatever reason.

— End quote

I’m glad you enjoyed it and were able to make it through without difficulty. I give you even more credit for seeing it in IMAX, which I could never handle (even before MAV). However, it makes me very ill (mentally and physically) to see those images and in all honesty I am flat out tired of them, hence I feel my “harsh” criticism is completely justified. I really don’t try to watch them either - anytime the commercials come on I either leave the room, skip through the commercial, or change the channel. And now it pummels me whenever I go to the “On Demand” on my cable because they are showing the same things in the background when I am searching for something to watch, which makes it very difficult for me to view the movie lists. It’ll probably be another month before that goes away.

But I was criticizing the visual style and not the content of the movie itself. In fact, I have no doubt it would probably be just as fine of a movie if it didn’t have such an exaggerated camera style, just like many TV shows would probably be just fine without all the excessive camera shake as well. Years ago, cinematographers used to work hard to prevent this kind of thing from happening (eg, the Steadicam), but somehow it all fell by the wayside.

Many people have reported sensitivity issues from movies, and it’s not just limited to us with MAV. I remember seeing the the 2nd Bourne movie years ago with my friend (who doesn’t have MAV). She got physically ill from the excessive camera shake, and we almost had to leave the theater. Back then, it didn’t bother me at all, but I remember that all that motion added absolutely nothing to the story and it would have been completely fine without it. When the 3rd Bourne movie came out a few years later, there were people writing to Roger Ebert en masse complaining about how all the camera movement made them sick and he argued the same point as well. It would have been interesting to see what he would have thought of Gravity had he not recently passed away.

What scares me the most is that anything that makes money in Hollywood is worth repeating, in the studios’ eyes. Which means, there will be more of these kinds of movies in future. And what does it really add? I really sympathize with anyone who doesn’t want to see more of that.

I would really like to see “Captain Phillips” since it is based on factual events, but if I have to spend half of the movie looking away, then what’s the point?

Like I have already stated, I was not free of difficulties. I had to look away a few times. Anyway, it’s just an agree to disagree situation. You don’t like the filming style, I do. It’s like arguing over what the tastiest fruit is - totally subjective. I just don’t like demonizing the entire style - same thing with found footage films (Blair Witch, Cloverfield, Chronicle, etc.). They do tend to make a lot of people sick, but I still find them to be an interesting twist on more traditional filming styles. Artists like to play with everything they have available and test the limits of what can and can’t be done instead of just following the rest of the industry sometimes. Yeah, it really sucks that folks with MAV, epilepsy (hello strobe lights!), or even just motion sickness can’t enjoy everything that’s out there.

— Begin quote from "DizzyForLife?"

Like I have already stated, I was not free of difficulties. I had to look away a few times. Anyway, it’s just an agree to disagree situation. You don’t like the filming style, I do. It’s like arguing over what the tastiest fruit is - totally subjective. I just don’t like demonizing the entire style - same thing with found footage films (Blair Witch, Cloverfield, Chronicle, etc.). They do tend to make a lot of people sick, but I still find them to be an interesting twist on more traditional filming styles. Artists like to play with everything they have available and test the limits of what can and can’t be done instead of just following the rest of the industry sometimes. Yeah, it really sucks that folks with MAV, epilepsy (hello strobe lights!), or even just motion sickness can’t enjoy everything that’s out there.

— End quote

I’m sorry that I missed you had difficulties, but I am more sorry that you had them.

As for the movie styles - hey, to each his own…but there have been enough found footage films or shaky cam movies done that it’s an overdone effect by now. Kind of like how “The Matrix” was considered cool because it had bullet time effects in it (though “Blade” did it first, technically), but then every other movie and TV commercial had to have it for the next few years. That burned out eventually, hopefully this will too.