Has everyone heard about the reporter with Migraine?

If not here is the link.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110218/ap_on_sc/us_tv_reporter_speech_problem

Yes, I just saw the Today Show report on that reporter who was diagnosed with “Complex Migraine.” I do feel for her. The annoying thing that I was thinking was this: Anytime a celebrity, or TV reporter in this case, gets something “strange”, they don’t have to go through the “regular” channels that we regular folks do to get a diagnosis. Take Janet Jackson…in 2008, she was diagnosed with MAV, had to cacncel a few shows, and she was back out on tour later on that year. What!!! She didn’t have to spend months or even years going from doctor to doctor! This reporter was sent to one of the best hospitals and had an MRI immediately, along with many ohter tests, and she’s good to go now. If one of us (I know there’s some on this forum who have suffered these exact symptoms) slurred our speech, went numb, and felt as that reporter felt, it would take months to get a proper diagnosis, if one would be reached at all before the all to familiar words of “you just have anxiety” or “you are just stressed out” were uttered by a misinformed doctor. Aaaaarrrgghhh!! Having oodles of money doesn’t prevent you from getting sick, but it seems to provide a much-needed short cut to getting a proper diagnosis and treatment plan. OK, I’m done whining!

Yes, and I had mixed emotions. Initially I thought, migraine - PLEASE. But then after I heard she did FINALLY get an MRI (why she waited is beyond me -stupid in fact), and they diagnosed it as complex migraine I thought, well at least perhaps this will shed some light on the fact that migraine can have many variants. Hopefully people will realize this. But I would be interested in hearing more about what her doctors say about it as I found some of HER explanations of it somewhat odd.

As for Janet Jackson, et al, while they do get the doctors right away, that doesn’t mean they get diagnosed right away or correctly. I still don’t believe she had MAV, especially with how she recovered so quickly. However, anything that brings the condition into the spotlight can only help in terms of making people more aware/getting more research done.

That is interesting stuff.
Pink, I will say that my first Neuro diagnosed me with Migraine Equivalent…I didn’t believe him, or the diagnosis. It would have been helpful if he had some literature, or GASP, took the time to inform me about what Migraine really is. It wasn’t until I read the book, Heal your Headache, that I really understood. That poor reporter…I’m glad that something like this happened on air because it raises people’s awareness. The neuro said “Migraine is a Complicated Brain Event”…to say the least!!
Sadly, migraineurs are at a higher risk for stroke I believe. I also found out through this testing I have a hole in my heart, and test positive for some gene mutation that puts me at risk for a stroke…sigh…some scary stuff…
Kelley

As soon as I saw the video on the news, I thought migraine. Of course more serious things like stroke or minor seizure crossed my mind too, but I had a gut feeling it could be migraine. I’ve had similar, but probably less severe, experiences. Heck, when I was on Topamax, the combination of migraine and the “Dopamax” turned me into a babbling idiot at times.

So true, Marci, so true! I’ve had a few verbal twists of the tongue on topamax that made even me wonder…
Gail

Gotta love how they call it “complex migraine”. Some of the terms they come out with for this. By calling it complex migraine and not just saying the woman has plain old ordinary migraine which for her brings about those particular symptoms I think it feeds people’s belief that migraine is a headache condition only – which would be the simple version no doubt. :?

— Begin quote from “scott”

Gotta love how they call it “complex migraine”. Some of the terms they come out with for this. By calling it complex migraine and not just saying the woman has plain old ordinary migraine which for her brings about those particular symptoms I think it feeds people’s belief that migraine is a headache condition only – which would be the simple version no doubt. :?

— End quote

Yeah but we do it too, using the term ‘MAV’ rather than ‘migraine’. I wonder if the doc used the term ‘complex migraine’ on purpose because he knows that 99.9% of people (including other migraineurs) can’t get past the idea that migraine=headache. Full stop.

Saw an interview with her this morning and she says that she had 3 days of testing,which was 9 hours each time.Wow,wish we all got that kind of treatment.
It is also peaking as one of the top things being searched on the web ‘migraine with aura’’ according to yahoo. So perhaps more awareness will be raised that it is not just a headache,maybe more doctors who don’t know much will wake up too.

i am actually an on-air reporter as well and am freaked out about the same thing happening to me! I mainly experience the brain farts here and there but nothing yet to that extent! I am actually considering a career change, this brain fog and anxiety makes this job super difficult. It’s not worth the stress.

Just watched the video with my wife. She tells me that I also get almost that bad at times. The only difference is that I can find words instead of jibberish, just none of the words that I find make sense when put together. The thing that bothers me is that I don’t realize that I am that bad or was that bad while it is going on.

In the journalists defense, I don’t think it has as much to do with money as to do with what she was covering, and all of the attention the media gave her over the scene. Some knowledgeable doctor probably saw it and got in touch with them.

— Begin quote from “Brian B”

The only difference is that I can find words instead of jibberish, just none of the words that I find make sense when put together.

— End quote

YES! That is how I am too. I realize it when I do it, at least some of the time. It is so frustrating! I am a fast talker, so the wrong words come flying out of my mouth. I also have a terrible time with names now, much more than before. I’ve never been good at remembering strangers’ names, but now I forget the names of people I know fairly well.

{/quote]YES! That is how I am too. I realize it when I do it, at least some of the time. It is so frustrating! I am a fast talker, so the wrong words come flying out of my mouth. I also have a terrible time with names now, much more than before. I’ve never been good at remembering strangers’ names, but now I forget the names of people I know fairly well.

Marci - do you equate this to the Topamax though? I mean, before taking the med, did you experience these types of issues? Curious to know if those with MAV have problems with word association, etc without being on Topamax or meds that we know cause such problems. I am on Topamax and have some related problems on it (labeled as “cognitive issues” generically). I sometimes struggle for the right word to say. I know what I want to say, but can’t find the best word for it and often have to describe it to someone and have them say the word.

Best, Bonnie

Hi Bonnie,

I definitely have aphasia issues from the migraine condition itself. My word-finding difficulties seem to ebb and flow along with my other migraine symptoms. I haven’t been on Topamax for over two years, and my speech problems were present both before and after taking Topamax for a few months. However, Topamax absolutely made the problems worse while I was taking it. In addition to finding words while talking, I also struggled with even composing a simple email thanks to the Dopamax. Bottom line is both migraine and Topamax can cause aphasia symptoms. I would say Topamax even more so than migraine for some folks.

Good luck with your Topamax trial. I hope it works out for you and the side effects don’t outweigh the benefits like they did for me. Topamax has been a godsend for some folks and a nightmare for others.

Take care,

Marci