Have any of you had success with Gluten Free

I am trying to eat gluten free because I have been having some really bad stomach issues lately and I do not know what is causing them.

Is there a test that can be done to see if you have a gluten intolerence?

I did a little looking and couldn’t find any test for Gluten sensitivity other than eliminating it from your diet to see if it make a difference.
Sarah

— Begin quote from “sasad”

I did a little looking and couldn’t find any test for Gluten sensitivity other than eliminating it from your diet to see if it make a difference.
Sarah

— End quote

labtestsonline.org/understan … /test.html

Found several sites that had information on it.

digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiac/

Hi Timeless and Sarah,
Most patients with gluten intolerance suffer from celiac disease. If your doc has a high clinical suspicion based on your sypmtoms the following are blood tests tests that can be performed:

IgA endomysial antibody (IgA EMA)
IgA tissue transglutaminase antibody (IgA tTG)
IgA antigliadin antibody (IgA AGA)
IgG antigliadin antibody (IgG AGA)

In addition, a small bowel biopsy will be used to confirm this diagnosis. This is generally the gold standard, to actually look at the villi in your small intestine. Celiac is acutally more common than originally thought and if you think you might not be tolerating gluten, it might be wise to discuss your symptoms with your doc and get the work-up started. I would suggest seeing a gastroenterologist as they would be the most experienced in deciding whether exploring these tests is necessary.

Lisa

After testing intolerant for wheat, I had a gliadin sensitivity test because the nutrionist thought I might be gluten sensitive or even celiac but it came back negative. Wheat definitely makes my dizziness worse though.

Brenda

— Begin quote from “Brenda”

After testing intolerant for wheat, I had a gliadin sensitivity test because the nutrionist thought I might be gluten sensitive or even celiac but it came back negative. Wheat definitely makes my dizziness worse though.

Brenda

— End quote

Who did the test Brenda…and how did you test intolerant for wheat.

— Begin quote from ____

Who did the test Brenda…and how did you test intolerant for wheat.

— End quote

I had the test done by Genova Diagnostics in the UK. It tested for the things Lisa listed a few posts back.

gdx.uk.net/index.php?option= … test&id=14.

You can choose options on the right hand panel to find a little more out about it all. I know Genova have labs internationally but I’m sure there will be other companies offering the same test should you wish to pursue it.

I had a FACT test done which picked up my wheat intolerance. Food Allergen Cellular Test. Although I’d already sussed out that wheat and me didn’t get on months before the test. That just confirmed it.

gdx.uk.net/index.php?option= … =view&id=4

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Brenda

Hi Timeless,

Have you considered that your stomach problems are migraine-related? There’s a lot of people on here with stomach hassles including me that kicked in with this lousy condition. In my case, it started 4 years into it. I’ve had weird stomach pains and IBS off and on ever since.

I think the whole wheat thing is greatly exaggerated, especially by naturopaths. I don’t think I’ve met a single naturopath who didn’t think wheat was evil. Testing for gluten intolerance as Lisa suggested is the way to go if you really suspect ceoliac’s disease.

Scott

FYI: You can ONLY test properly for gluten intolerance (both the blood test and the small intestine biopsy) if you are currently eating gluten, and have done so for at least a few months.
I’m almost completely sure that I’m gluten intolerant, but due to being housebound, I couldn’t do much except eliminate it from my diet. At first, it didn’t do much, but my stomach settled significantly after… uh, not sure, but at least 3 weeks, probably a bit more. Since then, I no longer get up in the morning because I feel nausea and a need to use the bathroom. I then tried reintroducing it all at once, after being gluten-free for about 4 months, and it wasn’t fun - gas, really bad stomachaches that kept me in bed, etc. It stopped again soon after resuming a gluten-free diet a few days later. I doubt it was a coincidence that it returned with a vengeance the very day after I started eating gluten again.

Only after I’ve been gluten free for a few months did I get a blood sample done (with only about half the needed tests, however), and it showed, no surprise, negative. That result is meaningless though, since I wasn’t eating gluten at the time, and my body would’ve had time to remove any antibodies left in my blood.

Moral of the story: either get tested ASAP, or start a gluten-free diet without ever actually knowing if it’s of no use.

— Begin quote from “scott”

Hi Timeless,

Have you considered that your stomach problems are migraine-related? There’s a lot of people on here with stomach hassles including me that kicked in with this lousy condition. In my case, it started 4 years into it. I’ve had weird stomach pains and IBS off and on ever since.

I think the whole wheat thing is greatly exaggerated, especially by naturopaths. I don’t think I’ve met a single naturopath who didn’t think wheat was evil. Testing for gluten intolerance as Lisa suggested is the way to go if you really suspect ceoliac’s disease.

Scott

— End quote

Scott it may be but right now it has gotten so bad lately that I am unable to eat much of anything so I am searching. I spent all Thursday at the hospital.

If it is migraine would it be constant or would it wax and wane, not sure. And if it is what do you do…since most of the medications are so hard on the digestive system as a side effect.

My father can not eat wheat and has been unable to for years and he also has migraines so I think I have his genes for sure.

— Begin quote from “Tranquillity”

FYI: You can ONLY test properly for gluten intolerance (both the blood test and the small intestine biopsy) if you are currently eating gluten, and have done so for at least a few months.
I’m almost completely sure that I’m gluten intolerant, but due to being housebound, I couldn’t do much except eliminate it from my diet. At first, it didn’t do much, but my stomach settled significantly after… uh, not sure, but at least 3 weeks, probably a bit more. Since then, I no longer get up in the morning because I feel nausea and a need to use the bathroom. I then tried reintroducing it all at once, after being gluten-free for about 4 months, and it wasn’t fun - gas, really bad stomachaches that kept me in bed, etc. It stopped again soon after resuming a gluten-free diet a few days later. I doubt it was a coincidence that it returned with a vengeance the very day after I started eating gluten again.

Only after I’ve been gluten free for a few months did I get a blood sample done (with only about half the needed tests, however), and it showed, no surprise, negative. That result is meaningless though, since I wasn’t eating gluten at the time, and my body would’ve had time to remove any antibodies left in my blood.

Moral of the story: either get tested ASAP, or start a gluten-free diet without ever actually knowing if it’s of no use.

— End quote

Thank you for the information, my thought process is that it cannot hurt to go gluten free and it may help if not then we will pursue another angle.

— Begin quote from ____

I think the whole wheat thing is greatly exaggerated, especially by naturopaths.

— End quote

I couldn’t agree more Scott but it was a missing piece of my personal MAV puzzle. I wish it wasn’t so. I really miss it. I’ve tried reintroducing it several times without success, just making my dizziness worse. I don’t have a digestive problem with it, but a neurological one, opioid peptides I assume. I also have to be careful of wheat ingredients in toiletries and cosmetics - took me a long time to suss that one out! It definitely affects me but we’re all different and as you say far too many people have jumped on this particular band wagon.

Brenda

Hi Brenda,

I don’t doubt at all that you’ve worked out that wheat messes with you. Great that you have found this trigger. I’ve just heard wheat mentioned as the bad guy many times without seemingly good reason (sugar is another one), mainly in people without MAV actually. But with MAV all foods need to be looked at. You do start to know over time which foods cause troubles with this junk after you’ve been hit over and over again.

Scott :slight_smile:

— Begin quote from “Tranquillity”

— End quote

Can you tell me how the gluten affected your stomach …was it cramping, constipation, diarrhea, burning pain …etc.