Have you ever supsected your not quite right?

Before all this dizzy stuff hit me sept 09 I used to get dizzy spells quite a bit before that anyway and weird head sensations but they would come and go . But what Im asking is have you ever felt like even before this started youve never felt quite right? Im looking back since I was 14-15 Ive always felt different from people I know I was always nervy and on edge and not comfortable in myself . I wonder if I have something chemicaly wrong in my brain or its always been a balance disorder that just hadnt come out yet and thats why Ive always felt a little off , a little wrong I felt ok but never quite right. I do wonder If ive had this all my life and just not known about it and thought i was weird .

I hope someone else can relate or I will sound like a nutter :lol:

You realize this topic is the perfect set up for a ton of jokes…

But I will exercise restraint.

I probably experienced olfactory auras when my hormones were first starting to go wacky in adolescence, but I had no idea then that’s what it was. When it happened, there was a strange smell, and I would look around for what might be causing it but I could never find the source. I did start to realize that maybe I was the only one who was smelling it, but I thought maybe it was a sinus thing.

Later in life, I would develop a headache at the smell of cigarette smoke (not thinking it was a migraine), and I was so sensitive that I could detect cigarette smoke coming from neighboring cars, even in the winter with windows rolled up when we’d pull up to a stop light. I could be looking down (with someone else driving!) and say “someone in the next car is smoking” without even looking, and even with the windows closed, you could look over, and I’d be right. I told some people about this - they’d find it hard to believe I could detect so “few parts per million,” until they got in the car with me and watched me do it.

I had a brief aura of colorblindness once during fertility treatment - again with the hormones all wacky - and went to my eye doctor (my vision was fine by the time I went). I didn’t know I had been having migraine headaches most of my life (mine were generally not disabling), so I was checked for a stroke, and of course no evidence of one was found. I wondered if the doctor thought I was a bit “off.”

My migraine brain has decided to try dizziness now. Had tunnel vision auras during some of my most severe dizzy spells, too; though since being on Topamax, that has not happened again.

All of this is not quite right. :wink:

OMG good topic (I think). I’ve been having this conversation with my therapist because he basically thinks i have anxiety disorder not sure which came first - chicken or the egg but i have always been extremely nervous and shy and not much self esteem. I have a lot more self esteem now that im older and have worked on it but it seems like the anxiety stuff has been there since i was a kid. could be why i used to link to drink and have a good time - loosened me up when i was young so i had nerve to meet guys and stuff.

I’ve always felt different though but better than it used to be now

chris

I must have had anxiety as a child as I used to scream if my cuffs on my cardy werent the same length or come in screaming “germs” “germs” if I had a bit of dirt on my leg. I remember my orange squash under the bed had to be in just the right place and I would check it several times. I was about 8 then. As I became a teenager I went red if someone as much as spoke to me and hated putting my hand up in class to answer a question. Things got better as I got to 17, confidence grew but always had to push myself as the shy part didnt want to do things but the “live” part did.

Looking at the people here, police officer, firefighter, author, singer etc. there does seem to be a certain type of person getting this, those that want to achieve. I am glad I did a lot of things I did in my life but sometimes think I have paid a price because maybe the shy nervous part (that I kept well hidden) wasnt able to cope and my health suffered.

Christine

i started my life with 17 years of asthma - definitely sensitive to cig. smoke and stuff even back then. i was really sick. was in hospital most of my 2nd grade year in school - seems now like i changed that for this stupid dizziness!

CHRIS

As far back as I can remember I have had a good share of my symptoms, but to a lesser degree. I’ve always had headaches, with a few childhood migraines, I can remember these back as far as the age of 3. My balance was never as good as everybody else as I was always the first to fall off of the balance beam or railroad track, or anything else dealing with balance. I’ve always had a problem with motion intolerance, this can be shown from things like never being able to finish somersault races as a kid, or many other things in gym class. I’ve always had positional problems as well, push ups, sit ups, working on a car type of activities always made me dizzy or nauseous.

interesting Brian. I don’t remember any of those things i always had good balance and could handle amusement park rides and everything. mine all started when i turned 23 i guess as far as dizzy symptoms - never had headaches.

c

Brian can totally relate to your symptoms I always had a psotional dizziness esp on bending my head down I wouldnt get spins but would feel really off when I did it. But I also mean by this thread is Ive always had anixety the only way i see it is Ive always kinda of been waiting for something bad to happen to me and it kind of did with this dizziness and Ive had a phobia of being dizzy from a young age . I remember my friend used to make me hold hands with her and would spin me around and I hated it ! I would do it but never liked it much and sometimes would start crying as I thought the dizziness wouldnt stop after I had stopped spinning around. I also remember when I went on my last fair ride I was 15 and it was this row of chairs you sat on and they swang around in a circle and my head felt so weird like my brain was just slshing around in there! I couldnt wait to get off and felt very odd in the head so somethings been lurking ages ! :?

Lol, oh yeah, I always knew that someting was different about me. I developed anxiety when I was in junior high, never liked to go on amusement park rides, and always had weird spells where I felt off. That being said, I have never really gotten “sick” regularly, sick meaning colds, flus or bugs, whatever. I have just been lucky that way. Maybe its a tradeoff. I haven’t been sick since my MAV reoccured last December. I also learned how to deal with my anxiety in my mid twenties and it has resolved even further since learning I had MAV and not wondering why no doctor could ever find out what was wrong with me. But I still do feel different than other people.

The older I get the more I realise everyone has their own little quirks - the migraineurs and the non-migraineurs. There seems to be an increasing social interest in pathologising what used to be called simply ‘personality’ or even ‘eccentricity’. So, drama queens now have ‘histrionic personality disorder’ and people in love with themselves now have ‘narcissitic personality disorder’. In different times we would have just accepted these personalities and described the person as ‘a character’.

So, do I think we migraineurs are a bit ‘off’? To be honest, no more than any other group. For every shared trait there will be others for which we are all different.

To put it in perspective - take a stroll through a psych ward and you will feel like the most well adjusted, mentally healthy person around! :lol:

Vic

lol victoria ! :lol:

Looking at the physical side of things as opposed to the anxiety thing, I didnt have a problem when younger, I can remember doing 100 cartwheels down the street aged 12 and when 15, in Cyprus doing 100 somersaults in the water (always had to be 100! theres the anxiety thing again). I did however, get the zig zag lines but no headaches and I did suffer bad car sickness and I always got stomache ache when stressed (probably abdominal migraine). I have had 3 x perforated eardrums in my life, the first as a baby, then ear problems at 18, maybe, what was plain migraine, turned into the vestibular migraine once the ears were damaged after the ear problems at 18, as I had my first severe vertigo attack just after that, that was caused by too much red wine at a party.

Vic, I wouldnt dare take a stroll in a psych ward, I might just feel I belong there :?

i find this an interesting post. Gosh i used to do tons of somersalts and backflips in the pool - i used to love to do that and it never really bothered me until i got this. even about 11 years ago i was doing that in the summer because i wasn’t sick in the summer until then it was always just spring and fall.

i also got lots of ear infections, swimmers ears from swimming in the polluted lake so that’s why i alwys thought i had menieres or something to do with the inner ear - even doctors thought so until this past year.

it’s frustrating because i’m feeling reallly sick and fatigued again cuz it’s Spring weather.

can’t believe no one gets a ton of help with this. it’s really sad when they can cure lots of diseases.

there are days when i feel like i should be in the psych ward after months and months of illness days on end

sometimes i even think i must have done something really wrong at some point in my life to get punished with this!
chris

— Begin quote from “cmoc”

Vic, I wouldnt dare take a stroll in a psych ward, I might just feel I belong there :?

— End quote

… or ‘catch’ mad. I’ve spent time on the ward (scheduling people) and I have felt it would be useful if there were a mental illness vaccine. I’d get one! :lol: ← that’s a mentally healthy laugh - not hysterical or anything.

Just FYI, it really is possible to ‘catch’ mad. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folie_%C3%A0_deux

— Begin quote from “iwantjrm”

i find this an interesting post. Gosh i used to do tons of somersalts and backflips in the pool - i used to love to do that and it never really bothered me until i got this. even about 11 years ago i was doing that in the summer because i wasn’t sick in the summer until then it was always just spring and fall.

i also got lots of ear infections, swimmers ears from swimming in the polluted lake so that’s why i alwys thought i had menieres or something to do with the inner ear - even doctors thought so until this past year.

it’s frustrating because i’m feeling reallly sick and fatigued again cuz it’s Spring weather.

can’t believe no one gets a ton of help with this. it’s really sad when they can cure lots of diseases.

there are days when i feel like i should be in the psych ward after months and months of illness days on end

sometimes i even think i must have done something really wrong at some point in my life to get punished with this!
chris

— End quote

Chris (iwantjrm) and Chris (cmoc),

I was (and still am) able to do somersaults, hand stands in water with no problems at all, but on land - eugh! I hate it in yoga for example if they want us to to headstands etc - I just refuse now. I wonder if the lack of discomfort in water is to do with being weightless?

As for feeling like being on a psych ward - I hear you loud and clear. I joke about it because I’ve felt that bad too - like on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Being in a chronic state of unwellness is physically and mentally draining, all consuming and emotionally very taxing. I understand. I think we all do on this board. Hang in there! Read the success stories. It can get better for you I promise.

None of us have done nothing wrong to deserve this. I don’t believe in Karma or any of that crap. Sorry to who anyone who does! You know how those Pollyanna types say ‘if life hands you lemons make lemonade’? Well, I say ‘try not to let the juice get in your eyes’ or, when you’re up to it ‘grab the tequila!’

Vic

— Begin quote from ____

None of us have done nothing wrong to deserve this. I don’t believe in Karma or any of that crap. Sorry to who anyone who does! You know how those Pollyanna types say ‘if life hands you lemons make lemonade’? Well, I say ‘try not to let the juice get in your eyes’ or, when you’re up to it ‘grab the tequila!’

— End quote

Right on Vic. Love those two quotes! Pollyanna rocks. Lately when I get a hand full of lemoms I turn it into a chili, garlic prawn diish and then have a side plate of bocconcicni while wearing thongs (flip flops for the North Americans) – how’s that for Bondi? :lol:

Scott, you are achingly Bondi. Any more Bondi and you’ll be out to sea :wink:

— Begin quote from ____

Any more Bondi and you’ll be out to sea.

— End quote

I’m heading there right now! Aching all the way. LOL

I was at Clovelly today. Water temp is divine. Enjoy your swim!