Have you ever woke up with rotational vertigo?

I woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and had horrible rotational vertigo, like I was going to fall over. Everything was spinning to the right in circles very quickly. I haven’t had this since 11 months ago being in the hospital after my c-section.

Have you experienced something like this?

I told myself to calm down and just lie down and go back to sleep. I thankfully did and woke up to my usual baseline- 24/7 rockiness.

Wondering what the heck that was?

My first episode, which struck one year ago, was upon waking up. Actually I woke up and bent down to check the time on my iphone and the room started spinning, so I am not sure if I woke up spinning or whether it was due to looking down at the phone. Anyway, my worst dizziness comes when my eyes are closed and I am on the bed. Since then it has only happened in very small incidents, like I will wake up slightly spinning but it will correct itself.

Waking up spinning is my biggest fear in life. When I take something at night like Valium or Klonopin I wake up less dizzy.

— Begin quote from ____

Waking up spinning is my biggest fear in life.

— End quote

Mine too. It was ok when my episodes upon waking only lasted 24 hours, I could just about get through that, but since one a few years ago which kept me in bed 3 weeks before I could even lift my head off the pillow, I’ve been left with a residual fear of “getting stuck” again. That’s the thing, you’re out of control and completely unable to do anything. And that’s what sucks!

On a more positive note, I must add that those episodes don’t happen very often now but it doesn’t stop the worry that they might.

Brenda

Hi Brenda. Yes. They used to be at around 4 in the morning, room was spinning, couldnt get head off the pillow, couldnt lay down, couldnt get up. They used to last around 6 hours, I just couldnt move. Had two really bad ones, one after an ECOG test, ended up in hospital for the night as I couldnt get off the bed, and one 6 days into a holiday abroad (after a bad migraine).

They are nasty. Wish they had something you could take to get rid of it, but even in hospital, they were injecting me with stemetil and it didnt work, it left me the next morning.

Christine

yes, most of my vertigo attacks have happened in the early morning. It’s a terrible way to wake up. I keep valium, meclizne and promethazine next to my bed.

I wonder if there is any significance to vertigo attacks that wake one up from sleep? Does this signify a certaing disorder/disease?

Does the promethizine help the severe vertigo attack?

Christine

Yeah, I’ve had this too, in fact my first signs of problems were at night time when I’d roll over in bed and wake up with rotational vertigo.
I think vertigo attacks that come on in the night are most commonly due to BPPV, as it’s a classic symptom for BPPV that you roll over in bed and get woken up with rotational vertigo. But you can also get this with MAV too. And you can, of course, have MAV but develop BPPV (or vice versa), as having one inner ear problem seems to lead you to being more susceptible to others.

So weird…my inner ear is fine- I just had an MRI with contrast 3 weeks ago and everything is good to go. That is great advice though and will keep that in mind about the future with BPPV and being susceptible.

My co-worker’s husband has menerie’s and takes a medication that completely knocks him out (I think it’s a suppository? Can’t spell!) when he has a vertigo attack. I can’t imagine his attack being much worse than what mine was when I woke up. That is my biggest fear as well- to have an attack like that again- I think I’d like to get the name of that medication and have it on hand for emergencies only- Valium is not going to cut it.

— Begin quote from “cmoc”

Does the promethizine help the severe vertigo attack?

Christine

— End quote

I take all three when I get an attack so I’m honestly not sure what is helping what but I believe the promethazine is more to help with the horrid nausea and vomiting. All I can say is that it takes 3+ hours for something to start working before the vertigo finally eases a bit, and then another hour before I can walk. I wish I could be one of the people who takes valium and “it stops it in its tracks.”

— Begin quote from “beechleaf”

I think vertigo attacks that come on in the night are most commonly due to BPPV, as it’s a classic symptom for BPPV that you roll over in bed and get woken up with rotational vertigo. But you can also get this with MAV too. And you can, of course, have MAV but develop BPPV (or vice versa), as having one inner ear problem seems to lead you to being more susceptible to others.

— End quote

I’ve heard that early AM attacks are bppv also, but I’ve been tested for it many times and that doesn’t appear to be my problem. Plus my attacks are hours long whereas bppv are usally minutes only.

Very rarely, I’ll wake up in the middle of the night with either vertigo or the worst headache that I ever get - the totally miserable classic migraine. I take a full 10 mg Ambien, Zofran (specific anti-emetic) that I keep for traveling or when this happens, and a couple of Aleve. I wake up in the morning feeling especially good, like the calm after a storm. I’m on a benzo every day. I also keep Phenergan around in case of emergency - it’s the anti-nausea drug that causes a lot of sleepiness and also comes as a suppository. I tell myself our brains do crazy things in our sleep.