Having trouble sleeping again!

Hi guys,

I remember when I started my meds…I slept like a baby…now though, I am back to having trouble again…which is of course a huge migraine trigger for me!!! I am so bummed. I also have been experiencing facial vibrations again…I am praying that I am not headed back to where this all began 2 years ago…with a huge vertigo attack that landed me in the ER…non-stop vomiting!!! i wonder if I am going to have to become a recluse sitting in my room all alone in order to not aggrivate my triggers :mrgreen: !!!

Pam

Sorry to hear that Pam. Maybe try Melatonin. I have used it a bit here and there and my father in law swears by it. He takes two every night then goes 5 days off every month then back on. Maybe worth a shot…

Hi Pam,

Sorry to hear you’re having a bad time of it. I’ve been bad the last few days. Is really dispiriting, especially if you’ve been well for a while.

What meds are you on? Could you take a benzo for a night or two to help you get to sleep? I’ve also used melatonin and found it good - but more for jet lag than regular insomnia.

Good luck!
Victoria

Thanks, I appreciate the replies!!! I would like to give the melatonin a try, should I be fearful of it? any side effects? Would I purchase this at the Health Food store? and what dose… I am on Verapamil 360mg ER, Nortriptalyne 75mg for about 2 years and we added in Effexor 75mg SR or ER. The Effexor lifted my mood just a bit, which was so helpful. When first on the first 2 meds, I fell asleep each nite by 9:30 and slept throught the night…I felt soooooooo good and rested and lately???..not so much!!!

Pam

Hi Pam,
Sorry you are having trouble sleeping. Melatonin might be worth a shot and it is very safe with few reported side effects. I’m attaching the following regarding the pharmacology if you were interested. Good luck!

Lisa

PHARMACOLOGY — Melatonin is a hormone secreted from the pineal gland in a 24-hour circadian rhythm, regulating the normal sleep/wake cycle. As a supplement, melatonin has both phase-shifting and sleep-promoting properties. In addition to promoting sleep, physiologic roles of melatonin include regulation of the secretion of growth hormone and gonadotropic hormones. It also possesses antioxidant activity.

No known toxicity or serious side effects reported; however, long-term human studies have not been conducted. Excessive dosages may cause morning sedation or drowsiness.

Use with caution in individuals with a history of bleeding, hemostatic disorders, or drug-related hemostatic problems; in individuals taking anticoagulant medications, including warfarin, aspirin, aspirin-containing products, NSAIDs, or antiplatelet agents (eg, ticlopidine, clopidogrel, dipyridamole); and in individuals taking antidiabetic agents. Melatonin may reduce glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity.

Pam,

My sleep has been rough again too for the last 2 weeks. I fall asleep OK and then wake in the early hours feeling as though I’ve had a coffee dumped down my throat. I’m usually dizzy too until I get up and move around. I’ve got a virus giving me grief plus some other assorted triggers that have been giving me grief. Are there any triggers that have been in the picture that you can ID or is it just random MAV junk? Hope the melatonin helps. The problem when sleep gets messed up is that it can take a week or two to break the patterns.

Scott

Melatonin is unavailable in Australia but in the US you can get it over the counter (ie without prescription) in pharmacies/drug stores.

Heya – I was able to order melatonin via iHerb.com last year. Arrived no problemo. S

Pam,

Have you tried one baby aspirin? Sometimes this will help me. If getting to sleep is very, very diffcult and you’ve tried everything…i will take a beno but very small amount.

Joe

— Begin quote from “scott”

Heya – I was able to order melatonin via iHerb.com last year. Arrived no problemo. S

— End quote

Is it a prescription medication in Australia, though? It is over here, since a few years back.
Importing prescription meds, whether sold as natural or not in the US, is likely illegal (it sure is here) and not a very good idea! It’d suck to get busted for that, even if they “may” :wink: consider melatonin a tad less severe a crime than narcotics or whatever.

— Begin quote from “Tranquillity”

Is it a prescription medication in Australia, though? It is over here, since a few years back.

— End quote

Availability
Melatonin is not currently available commercially in Australia, although it is widely available in the United States. However, it is legal to import three months supply for personal use. Due to commercial confidentiality the Therapeutic Goods Administration office is unable to confirm or deny when, or if, melatonin will be approved as a therapeutic substance in Australia.

Thanks you guys, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate all the support on the boards!!! Thanks for the “where to purchase” answers as well and the pharmacology stats. Are there different dosing?

Scott- I am sorry you are struggling now, please know that we are all here with you!!!
yes, I am sure I am overloading on the triggers!!! Mine are the “to be human” ones!!! :mrgreen: I modify as best I can…I am selective about who and when I interact, I TRY to get regular sleep, I wear a visor in stores etc…

What dose of melatonin do you take?