Headache and CNS abnormalities – gluten sensitivity

Hi All,

I’ve stumbled across a rather prolific researcher and author who has done considerable work on gluten sesnitivity and ataxia. Note, that these sorts of patients do not necessarily have diagnosed celiac disease. What’s more in this study I’m posting, all of these patients had unexplained white matter abnormalities in their brains. If you look at the Table on page 2, the reported symptoms could have been pulled from anyone here – things such as episodic headache, visual aura and visual disturbance, unsteadiness, nausea, confusion, gait ataxia, phonophobia, random falls, numbness in extremities and parasthesia. Note, that the idea of gluten problems being a “gut issue” only is a myth; it is instead a neurological problem.

Given the evidence (there’s a sea of papers on this), I think it makes very good sense for everyone here to try a gluten-free diet for a while to see if things improve. It won’t cost anything and even if it is not the problem in most here, it may nail the problem or a significant trigger for someone.

“Introduction of a gluten-free diet in nine patients resulted in complete resolution of the headaches in seven with partial improvement in two.”

I myself, have only just been switched onto this for various reasons. I’m mostly in denial because I find it so hard to believe that pasta and bread could be a serious problem (or not) but I have to seriously trial this.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/sd/headache_CNS_gluten_2001.png

http://www.glycemicindex.com/sd/headache_CNS_gluten_2001.pdf

Scott 8)

I’ve heard this before. I even emailed a guy on another forum who had exactly this problem…Took him 2 years to figure out it was the gluten

I did try it but didnt help, then again I only did it for a week…Maybe worth another go

Chris

I went gluten free for months, didnt do anything for me.

Christine

Gluten free only works if one is 100% gluten free. If you ingest even a small amount of gluten, you set of the cascade of symptoms resulting from inflammation and malabsorbtion. Many people try to eat gluten free but don’t understand where gluten hides in the foods they eat (like in soy sauce, for example). They are not able to achieve a 100% GF diet and give up because their symptoms don’t abate.

Achieving 100% GF diet takes diligent, informed effort. One has the best chance of truly eating gluten free by working with a nutritionist or dietitian who understand the rigors of eating gluten free and grocery shopping gluten free. Diet coaching for people who are trying to gluten free (several months worth of coaching, if possible) is important and rarely done.

Hi Scott,

This is very interesting. I discovered some time ago that gluten triggered dizziness and tinnitus. I have been gluten free now for about 18 months, and whenever I break the diet, I pay for it symptom-wise. In my case, I think there are a number of factors underlying my disorder, but gluten sensitivity is definitely one of them. Its actually not that hard to do once you know what foods to avoid. You can buy gluten-free substitutes for most foods, including pasta, bread, cakes, cereal etc at the supermarket.

It was definitely worth doing for me.

I too tried it, with no noticeable benefit.

If you have a clear MRI then I’m guessing it’s not worth trying this out?