Hearing Distortion

Just wondering if anyone has distorted hearing similar to what I have. For me, it varies from time to time, stronger at times, barely noticeable at others. The main time that I can hear it is using headphones or talking on the telephone because what the individual ear hears gets seperated from the other.

What I hear is something similar to what you hear in old WWII movies, or Science Fiction Movies. I usually use Star Wars as an example since most people have seen it. I know this is silly, but in the scene where the rebels are attacking the Death Star, back on the rebel base, all of the rebels sound distorted ober their intercom system. There are other instances, in other movies or TV series, but that is probably the best known.

Anyway, I was just curious if any else had distorted hearing similar to this or of another type?

Hi Brian- I suffer with distorted hearing at times. I’ve never heard anyone else mention it, so I’ve always wondered if that was some weird symptom of migraine or not.

When it happens to me, it is mostly very quick and fleeting. Gone in just seconds, and I would have to say, its mostly just what is coming out of my mouth that sounds strange. I’m not a fan of Star Wars, so I can’t really relate to your description, but I would describe it as my own voice sounding like its muffled and vibrating or something. Very hard to explain.

Kim

Brian,

I can’t say that I have what you describe either. Mine is a super-acute hearing - I hear things that I never used to hear, like the tinkle of all the glass in the house if a car is driving by, along with a very strange sound to water running. It’s loud, it sounds kind of hollow and again with that loud tinkle. Things sound closer than they actually are, i.e., my cat meows and i think she is next to me, she’s actually at the other end of the house. And I have a hard time placing sounds, meaning, what direction they are coming from.

But nothing like the Star Wars thing you mention.

Julie

Julie and Kim,

I have experienced what both of you described. Those hearing oddities usually last days to weeks for me. What I am talking about is more like an echoe. Not an echoe from across a value, but more like an echoe that you might hear in a small concrete room.

Lets see if I can give a textual example…

Across a valley— ECHOE – ECHoe – Echoe – echoe ----

In a small concrete room — e-ec-ech-ec-ech-echo-choe-hoe-oe-e

I can understand what people are saying, it’s just annoying listening to things with this echoe in my ears.

Ugh, I hate echos - so like when you’re talking in a room which is completely empty, that kind of echo. I’m glad I don’t have that symptom.

Thanks Brian, I think you just gave me a way to describe it - that I could never do in words before.

Its a frightening symptom to me, but its always easier when I know why its happening, and not ever hearing anyone mention it before, made it all the more unnerving. I’ve only just in the last 6 months experienced it, so it is fairly new, but my fear is that it will begin happening more. One thing I have learned through all of this crazy. stupid, scary stuff, is that fear and anxiety is one of my worst enemies !!! Thanks !!! :smiley:

Kim

— Begin quote from "AZdizzy"

Thanks Brian, I think you just gave me a way to describe it - that I could never do in words before.

Its a frightening symptom to me, but its always easier when I know why its happening, and not ever hearing anyone mention it before, made it all the more unnerving. I’ve only just in the last 6 months experienced it, so it is fairly new, but my fear is that it will begin happening more. One thing I have learned through all of this crazy. stupid, scary stuff, is that fear and anxiety is one of my worst enemies !!! Thanks !!! :smiley:

Kim

— End quote

If it makes you feel any better, I had that echoe in my right ear for about 5 years and it went away when I started the meds. 2 years later (about a month ago) it started up in my left ear. I have high hopes that it will go away eventually.

One of the things that freaked me out the most when I was at my worst was the really distorted hearing. I can’t describe the constant hollow noise I was constantly hearing. I thought it was coming from the air ducts. I would go into different places in the house to see if I could get away from it. I even walked into a walk-in closet, just to check, but it was still there. I finally figured out it was some kind of auditory hallucination or something. that was one of the first things to go away with treatment. Things are much quieter now.