Hearing loss and MAV

Reposting the question 'cause I’m really curious about the response: I’ve been diagnosed with either Meniere’s or MAV, and from what I’ve been reading in the last few weeks, more of my symptoms fit with MAV than Meniere’s (migraine headaches, dizziness, numbness, aura, photo and audio-sensitivity, etc) … except the fact that I’ve been deaf in one ear for over 5 months now, and I was having weird hearing issues in both ears for over a year before I first got dizzy.

The deafness came on with the first dizziness attack (about 1-2 weeks after the initial attack). I’d get dizzy in waves that would come on about 5-20 times a day, and there would sometimes be an increased fullness in my right ear along with very loud tinnitus. One day, right after doing yoga (exercise seemed to make the fullness more likely), my ear just sort of “closed off”, never to be heard from again. I was immediately put on prednisone and got a tiny bit of my hearing back about 2 weeks later, but there’s been no improvement at all since. Gradually, over the course of about a month to a month and a half, I got fewer and fewer waves of dizziness, but my hearing never improved. Then about a month after my full balance recovery, I had another attack… It’s different this time: it doesn’t come on so much in waves, and it’s much more constant. I don’t really know what to think, and since the dietary recommendations for Meniere’s and MAV pretty much cancel each other out and leave me with very little left to eat, I would rather pick one or the other to treat, but I don’t know which doctor to listen to.

So… have any of you who are positive you have MAV also had long-term deafness and/or hearing issues? Is it possible that this is all just MAV, or do all the weird ear symptoms mean it might also be something else?

have you read “heal your headache” I believe it speaks about hearing issues and migraine. I have had fullness in my ear, but no loss. However, that doesn’t mean you cannot. I wish I was more help.
I also believe that meniere’s is more episodic symptoms, rather than the continuous symptoms of migraine. again, I may be wrong.

this article also compares migraine to menieres
emedicine.medscape.com/article/884136-overview
you may have read it already, since the literature on MAV isn’t so vast.

Wobblyjess, Like you I don’t know what I have but my symptoms tend to lean towards MAV. However, diet wise I am eating for both MAV and MM (or should I say NOT eating, you are right between the two there isn’t much left. I also have high cholesterol so there goes a lot more foods I can’t eat.)

Anyway, the main reason I’ve been thinking I have MAV and not MM and why the docs can’t give me a definitive diagnosis of MM is because my hearing has been pretty much normal. During attacks I haven’t had the classic low roar, tinnitus, muffled hearing, loss of hearing etc. I have tinnitus most of the time and high level loss and that is it, nothing worse during a vertigo attack.

Until about a month ago that is, when I suddenly, out of the blue I experienced a low roar in my ear, muffled/distored hearing, etc. I gripped the table waiting for vertigo to come but it never did. For the next 24-48 hours my one ear was definitely worse than the other and then it gradually came back to normal. The next week the same thing happened again. It was as if I were having an MM attack without the vertigo whereas my other attacks were the vertigo without the hearing issues. I don’t know what to make of this. And I’m too afraid to tell my doc as I don’t want to hear that I do have MM.

From my reading up on MAV I have seen it can cause hearing loss, etc just as MM can but it isn’t as severe as with MM nor is it a usual consequence. It seems that the vertigo from MAV can do damage to the inner ear which in turn affects the hearing. This is different that the way in which the hearing is affected with MM. Hopefully someone who has more technical knowledge on this can answer the question. I’m also very interested in hearing more about this.

— Begin quote from “Wobblyjess”

The deafness came on with the first dizziness attack (about 1-2 weeks after the initial attack). I’d get dizzy in waves that would come on about 5-20 times a day, and there would sometimes be an increased fullness in my right ear along with very loud tinnitus. One day, right after doing yoga (exercise seemed to make the fullness more likely), my ear just sort of “closed off”, never to be heard from again. I was immediately put on prednisone and got a tiny bit of my hearing back about 2 weeks later, but there’s been no improvement at all since.

— End quote

A sudden dramatic hearing loss like this sounds like it could either be migrainous vasospasm (one theory about why this happens in migraine sometimes…) or it could be autoimmune disease. Hearing loss from AIED or migraine is usually sudden, Menieres disease is usually progressive. I don’t believe sudden hearing loss in migraine is common but it is definitely a possibility and matches your description.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1107 … d_RVDocSum

When I was diagnosed with MAV, part of the diagnostics was to be sent for a hearing test on two different occasions. Resulting from that I was told that I have fluctuating hearing loss in the higher frequencies and that this is a indicator of migraine.