Hearing Loss and MAV

I have had progressive bilateral hearing loss for three decades, since I was 30. Now have a cochlear implant and hearing aid. In 2012 I began having vertigo attacks. Two or three a week at first, then tapered off over the next 10 months after doctor prescribed low-dose klonopin and 20 mg amitriptyline.
At the time, ENT considered Meniere’s. A neurologist thought it was MAV.
Recently vertigo has recurred, and I’ve also experienced dizziness over a period of days.
This time a new ENT definitively diagnosed MAV, not Meniere’s.
My question, did others have serious hearing loss before developing MAV?

I suspect I must have some hearing loss in one ear at high frequencies because I have persistent tinnitus. Unless that’s down to anxiety … This developed some days after my first migraine attack. I’ve always been confused about how it’s possible a migraine can cause persistent tinnitus. I’m fairly sure it was my first vertigous migraine as it was in response to watching a projector screen. I had 3 weeks of imbalance following this incident.

Of course it’s not out of the realm of possibility that the migraine condition is secondary to another issue. But it’s very hard to determine what that is or might be …

Have you had your hearing tested? Most of the time tinnitus is associated with hearing loss (I think about 95% of the time). Getting a hearing aid can help. So can short-term CBT.
Also unilateral hearing loss, tinnitus and vertigo/dizziness might indicate Meniere’s rather than MAV.
But the symptoms and treatments are similar so diagnosis isn’t really that important.

Yes, but no prior audiogram to compare to and unfortunately I’ve always had some less than stellar upper end on that ear since childhood. Neuro adamant it’s migraine. In fact after starting migraine prophylaxis (amitriptyline) the attacks stopped dead.

So far, touch wood, any hearing loss not significant at the important frequencies for speech and music.

1 Like

With meniers it’s a max of 3mg salt in your diet which is a constant challenge compared to Vestibular Migraines diet…

Just to follow up on this thread … I have some confirmed hearing loss, but strangely at high frequencies. Who knows if this will be temporary or permanent (weirdly for the first time in almost a year, my tinnitus all but disappeared this week for a couple of days, but came back) The medical community really doesn’t know enough about these conditions. If you think about how a microphone or speaker works, it wouldn’t take much to change the audio characteristics of the ear with only a change in the fluid or a slight change in pressure. If those things can be reversed, who knows what can recover.

I too have high frequency loss. My understanding is that Menieres first presents with low frequency then once progressed high frequencies as well. Mine is bilateral but quite mild… Again, some speculate MAV and Menieres a variation of the same disease…

I believe after all I’ve read and ‘felt’ that they are. I absolutely have some blockage of my ear plumbing I’m sure - i’ve even heard the fluid dripping or ‘gurgling’, as if past a blockage, and that’s the latest hypothesis for the cause behind menieres. I’d say the main difference between MAV and Menieres seems to be that MAV appears to be continuous, but Menieres is apparently very episodic and that many have no symptoms in between the episodes. The variability and remission, relapse nature of MAV to me has to be explained by something physical like a variable blockage - repeated viral injury just doesn’t make sense in otherwise healthy individuals like ourselves. What foxes me is how the blockage lasts for so long as if you read the research displaced otoconia are supposed to dissolve quite swiftly once they fall into the wrong part of the ear. I guess there may be some rocks that don’t fall into the ‘sump’ though and perhaps remain a menace. I even read that Gentamicin dissolves otoconia very quickly which might explain why its so effective in stopping the repeated bouts of vertigo - ie it dissolves the blockage … unfortunately it would also presumably dissolve the rocks that remain in their correct position and ultimately reduce the balance response … now if they only knew how to encourage the ear to regrow these crystals you’d have the perfect two step treatment? … unless of course the ear is cleverer and actually absorbs the dissolved calcium and automatically regenerates the rocks … have they done enough followup with patients after Gentamicin treatment to determine if in the long term they recover more facility?