Hello, VM & PPPD 2yrs and completely lost/confused

Lotte, I found this interview to neurologists in this site. I found it helpful: FAQs answered by Neurologists - #7 by scott I will post it for everyone. Sometimes I google here to find information about specific symptoms and this was very helpful. Check the paragraph below, or read the full Q&A if you have time.

– If a drug is reducing symptoms by 50%, stay with it, give it time and work on lifestyle to knock out the rest. Do not work under the notion that by just finding the right medicine that this will suddenly all vanish. Sometimes switching to a different drug in the same class can give more benefit (SSRI for example). It’s remarkable that even though all of the SSRIs work by the same principle, the results can vary markedly between individual SSRIs. Again, if we hit the 50% mark in symptom reduction then we’ve hit on a good drug. If there’s no effect or very little then we do a lot of switching between meds. The problem remains that there isn’t good data on treatment and it’s mostly empirical (observation, experience, or experiment) and that’s why many doctors have differing opinions and a different experience. It’s dangerous for a doctor to base his treatment based on his experience alone because any single doctor will have limited experience and is usually biased (confirmation bias). What we need are a large series of controlled studies which unfortunately just don’t exist.

1 Like