**Hi from Raven**

Hello,

I have been reading the messages placed here with interest and feel I am learning a lot.

So far, I am not sure if the vertigo I get is related to Migraine. I get about once attack a month lasting about five to eight hours. Sometimes I feel kinds of funny a few days beforehand—kind of spacey and tired and irritable. :frowning:

I get regular common migraines all the time and have had that problem for years and years.

No dr has ever mentioned MAV before. I’ve been to so many drs with vertigo problem, too. They shrug their shoulders and do not know the cause or anything.

I’m not angry about that or anything, but I sure would like to know the cause of this vertigo situation and possibly a treatment.

Raven.[/code]

Hi Raven

Can’t remember if I’ve asked - have you seen a neurotologist? They should certainly be able to give you a diagnosis.

Sometimes the kind of symptoms you describe before an attack is called a prodrome and it can last up to a few days.

Adam

Hello Adam,

Thanks for answering the post!! :smiley:

Yes, I have been to MANY drs: cardiologists, inernists, psychiatrists, and neurologists, and–oh—neurologist/ear dr. They did some baasic tests.

But nothing was diagnosed. They did not appear interested and seemed baffled.

I don’t recall any of them asking if I had migraines, but I think that one neurologist did ask me that.

I had never heard about MAV until recently.

So it was really interesting to read that there can be a prodrome thing to this symptom.

Before an “attack” days before- I can be tired and then spacey.

Sometimes, after an attack, I feel SO MUCH BETTER. Much clearer.
Feel so much better after an “attack”. The symptom can last about five to eight hours.

It feels as though over time builds and then Ka-Bam.

I read about something called “cyclic vertigo” which comes regularly. I’m curious about that one although it is only pediatric.

So…anyway…

From Raven 8)
[/code]

I think you’re talking about benign recurrent vertigo. This happens to adults as well, and it is believed to be a migraine-associated syndrome - so again, you treat it as you would any vertigo related to migraine - with migraine meds. Have you tried any as yet?

Also it is important that you see a neurotologist, rather than just a normal neurologist, and not an ENT doctor. Neurotologists can be very hard to find, but will generally have better answers for us.

Adam

hello,

Yes, I did see a neuro/ear dr., too.

The cyclic vertigo of pediatric causes vertigo to come at regular intervals. I do not know if benign paroxysmal vertigo comes at regular intervals.

Lately, mine seems to at regular intervals. I can feel it sort of building up. Then for about two weeks afterwards, I do well.

It is so weird.

But I have gone as long as four months without a symptom===not lately.

I only take beta=blocker----atenolol 25 mg —for migraine.

The more I read about amitryptyline the more it sounds like it would be good med for me.

My migraines are common migraine thank goodness-----no vomiting----but I have about three a week or one day a week headache-free.

I hope more folks can start sharing here, too.

HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY TO EVERYONE

**rAVEN

benign paroxysmal vertigo is a different disorder altogether… this is also called BPV or BPPV (the word positional is added) - where head positioning causes short bouts of vertigo and nystagmus.

benign recurrent vertigo consists of spontaneous attacks of vertigo and yes, many people do say they come at regular intervals. my attacks of vertigo for example, come very 6 months without fail. my chronic dizziness actually feels a bit better after i have recovered from a sponatenous vertigo attack.

[code]**Hello,

Thanks again for answering my post.

Benign Recurrent Vertigo is not the same thing as Benign Paroxsysmal Vertigo (BPV)? I thought they were the same things with slightly different name. :o

The vertigo I get does not follow any set time pattern. I Usually get one a month; however, I can go for four months without one. So I don’t know.

This problem is something I’ve had for a very long time.

As mentioned, I also have common migraine and have had that for Years!

I am learning so much and am growing a little hopeful that perhaps some answers may be found. :idea: That would be wow great.

**[/code]

I’m sure you will find answers. They may be in the form of a response to therapy however, as vertiginous problems are very difficult to diagnose.

The key here is Benign Recurrent Vertigo is spontaneous, and is believe to be a central problem (in the brain).

BPPV is a peripheral problem, which is what the paroxysmal part means. The problems exists in the inner ear part of the vestibular system itself. It is very easy to cure with an 80%+ success rate. They cure this using repositioning manouvers - Epley is one of them.

Adam

Hi Adam,

Thanks for replying to my post.

Yes, I know about BPPV (key word - positional) and the Epley maneuver and that it is caused by ear problem - or other words - peripheral problem rather than CNS problem.

i know about Meniere’s disease – no dr has said that is my problem although one dr said it might be “atypical” Meniere’s but he wasn’t sure.
Someone said they use the word “atypical” when they do not know what it is… :wink:

I tried the no-salt diet to help vertigo and it did not make any difference whatsoever for me. :wink:

I take Celexa for anxiety disorder and it seems when I am on an SSRI the vertigo comes more often but not as bad. So I don’t know! :x

I take 25 mg atenelol for mitral valve prolapse symptoms AND anxiety AND migraine headaches.

Also, meclizine does not help the vertigo I get. No help from that. No help from Valium. I tried meclizine when I had vertigo and it did not help. I tried taking it regularly to keep vertigo away and THJAT did not help either.

So and whatever. I recently read that some forms of MAV are inherited!
Weird. No one else in my family even knows what vertigo is. I had to explain it to them. They are sympathetic but …well…I don’t know.

Did i read SOMEWHERE that either exercise or stress can bring on this symptom? Exercise? Weird.

So…learning more. Hope everyone is doing we3ll this weekend.

Raven