Hi there! New to this dizzy stuff.

Hello! I may well not have Vestibular Migraine but I am here to describe my situation in the hope you lovely people will be able to give opinions on whether you think I might have, or possible alternative diagnoses. Apologies of Iā€™ve missed something really obvious.
I had what I assumed was sinusitis - nose clear but right ear blocked, earache and upper teeth tingling on right particularly; pains in right side of head); feeling dizzy and nauseous (lost 1/2 stone - the only upside!); and my thinking is not at all what it was (brain fog??) After 3 wks GP recommended Beconase. Another 3 weeks I still had the dizziness, nausea and head pains. Also getting occasional vision blurring when scrolling on my phone. Visit to GP and standing on one leg with eyes closed showed I had balance problems.
So Iā€™m waiting now for another month or so at which point my GP hopefully will refer me to ENT. I have these symptoms 24/7 with some let up in the evening. Iā€™ve had blood tests to exclude infections, hormonal problems, Covid-19 antibodies etc and have no signs of cerebellar problems.
Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi and welcome. No doctors here so no diagnosis from us I am afraid so you got a bit of a wait. You make no mention of migraine or headaches but itā€™s not uncommon for MAVers to start out thinking sinusitis is the cause. With the briefest of details you have given it would be unfair to even hazard a guess at your problem however if there is a migraine connection there is often strong hormone associations and as far as I am aware there is no test that can definitely rule out or indeed rule in any hormone involvement. Root causes of most vestibular conditions are still unproven. Best wait and see what ENT come up with though I cannot quite see why you have to wait yet another month before a referral is made. Donā€™t worry too much about not being able to stand on one leg with your eyes closed. You, me and about half the adult population I suspect. It may be an indication your balance could be better but it is 100% confirmation that you are Visually Dependent. Many adults are and we become more so as we age. Hope you will be able to access some professional help in the not too distant future.

1 Like

If you have head pains, you might try to jump start the process and get a referral to a Neurologist too and see if he/she thinks it could be migraine. Getting into see the ENT is a great first step though. The fact that you have pains on one part of the head seems migraine-ish, but it could simply be that the dizziness is causing you migraine. Either way, I think its wise to see both ENT / Neurologist as soon as you can.

Good luck!

Erik

3 Likes

@Onandon03 Hi! Thank you! I should have worded my post better as I wasnā€™t expecting a diagnosis as such. Not sure what I was expecting tbh but just desperate to be somewhere with people with similar issues. My case seems to me to be trifling in comparison to most I read about but is really affecting my lifestyle (and my husbandā€™s, bless him) Luckily I donā€™t have young children or a job these days or I donā€™t know how Iā€™d manage.
As for headaches, I do have them a lot of the time, with pains - I had Gabapentin for neuralgia at the top of my head a couple of years ago and these pains are similar but at least intermittent.

@ander454 Thank you :slight_smile: I shall ask my GP about the possibility of vestibular migraines when I go back to him but i agree that ENT is a good start.

1 Like

No need to apologise. I am just glad you decided to join up. Whichever vestibular condition you eventually discover is affecting you you are most welcome here. Just knowing you are no longer having to go it alone can make all the difference and can give a much needed emotional boost.

Thank you! Iā€™ve had quite a good day today - the previous 3 days were pretty awful - so onwards and upwards. I went to the local post office today and, apart from finding looking for a card a bit tricky (too much going on for my head to cope with!) I was okay. Crossing roads takes a lot of time and concentration - turning my head in lots of directions combined with stepping off the kerb and then hurrying across is literally a few steps to far! Luckily we have lots of pedestrian crossings!

1 Like

MAV is a very variable condition. Good days and rough ones and sometimes it changes hour to hour. If you fancy keeping an online personal diary itā€™s easy to do. Under ā€˜create a topicā€™ scroll down fro uncategorised until you hit ā€˜personal diariesā€™ and when you open that template all the apparent headings are there for you to organise your thoughts on paper. Starting now you can chart progress right from the beginning if you wish. No obligation. Entirely your choice.

1 Like

Thank you - that sounds fab. I shall take a peek.
I spent ages looking for a symptom diary online and ended up buying a MĆ©niĆØreā€™s one as that seemed to have all the symptoms. Iā€™ve been keeping it for a few days now in the hope of maybe spotting a pattern or triggers.

1 Like

Oh I donā€™t think ours is quite like that.

Http://www.vestibularmigraine.co.uk/ have one FOC and you will also find a thread on here with the same title with additional information from other internet sites if you are planning the triggers type diary. Very difficult to obtain much definite there I have found because triggers are interlinked with other things. Firstly they tend to be cumulative and then of course they depend on your current level of tolerance which is directly linked to current sensitivities. Some food triggers are obvious. Others much less so and beware of confirmation bias. MAV is so changeable. Interestingly only last week I was scheduled to start new med for another condition but at the last minute I put it off only to awake the following morning feeling really rough. I can remember thinking Gosh if I had taken that med last night I would now be blaming it for feeling ill but it would have been pure coincidence. Made me think.
Http://www.vestibularmigraine.co.uk/

2 Likes