Hit the bottle?

SO here it is…

I was feeling some nasty rocking yesterday and had to go out with a load of friends. I really wasnt up for it as was feeling really off. I had a good chat with my mate and explained i was so pissed off with always feeling this way and having to force myself. He reminded me back in my early days in 05 that a few beers used to make feel normal. Lately that hadnt been the case, so combined with my irritated bladder i havent touched alcohol for 2 YEARS making me a bit of a wet blanket. This all changed last night when i thought bugger this, you will prob be feeling shit anyway so why not give vodka a go. Guess what? While it didnt totally fix my sx it helped dramatically! I got pretty wasted and had a one of the best night out i have had in years. I even woke up this morning with my pants on my head with a vague recollection of dancing midgets and cowgirls. The downside is i have a massive hangover and am VERY dizzy today, all over the place. Luckily i have a few days quiet time.

Has anyone else found that a few spirits helps them out? beer and wine is a big no no, but vodka was ok. It was great to forget about it all for a few hours, but dont worry, its only a very rare thing for me!

Luke

Hi Luke,

Well that sounds well worth it. I havent tried anything for years because my very first full blown vertigo attack was bought on after a night of drinking red wine! Then, two years ago, I went to a rotton party, bright lights, no music and feeling distinctly uncomfortable so thought I would drink one large glass of white wine. Immediate bad dizziness which I thought was the wine but when I got home it was proper vertigo, that was enough for me to not attempt it again. Maybe vodka is different.

Glad you had a great time. Its really good to feel back in the normal world for a while :smiley:

Cheers!

Christine

Sounds like fun. And, it makes some sense since limited amounts of alcohol hit the same receptors as the benzodiazapines do, that’s according to a psychiatrist friend. I have been scared to try it but it may just be time to meet up with the Captain again.
Sal

Hey Luke,
Glad you had some fun and got to feel like a normal 20 something again… if only for a night. Just don’t take a benzo on top of the alcohol because in conjunction you get too much CNS depression and possible trouble. I’ve seen too many people in the ER with both these drugs on board :smiley:
Hope you feel better soon…
Lisa

Hey guys

It was defintely good to feel part of the nornal world for one night, although im back with the demons now!

Maybe spirits are different…

Lisa dont worry i have never taken valium, and wouldnt combine both!

Hey maybe I will have a normal 30s ~ got 3 years more med trials till then!

Luke

Actually my Dr. at Mass Eye and Ear told me that if I was going to drink that Vodka was the best to have with MAV. Although he did have to say he was not recommending alchohol but if I was going to drink to try vodka. And if I was having a screwdriver to make sure they put fresh squeezed orange juice in it.
It sounds like you had a great time. I am going away for the weekend next weekend with 3 of my sisters and I am sure there will be lots of drinking. I will remember to try to drink vodka rather than anythings else. I am already nervous about going, that I won’t be able to keep up with my sisters and will end up not feeling well. Hopefully they will understand.

— Begin quote from “Joanmac”

Actually my Dr. at Mass Eye and Ear told me that if I was going to drink that Vodka was the best to have with MAV. Although he did have to say he was not recommending alchohol but if I was going to drink to try vodka. And if I was having a screwdriver to make sure they put fresh squeezed orange juice in it.
It sounds like you had a great time. I am going away for the weekend next weekend with 3 of my sisters and I am sure there will be lots of drinking. I will remember to try to drink vodka rather than anythings else. I am already nervous about going, that I won’t be able to keep up with my sisters and will end up not feeling well. Hopefully they will understand.

— End quote

The doc is right.

Small amounts of vodka work.

Beer and wine kick my butt.

Here’s my recommendation. Pure as it gets.

notcot.com/archives/2007/05/ … ka_rev.php

Hey Luke,

I have had the same experience as you when I’ve had the rocking/walking on sponges while on a boat sensation. Gin and tonic is my poison and I’ve found that it does ease the symptoms. I assumed that it was just that a couple of g&ts makes me happily woozy and a bit wobbly which meant I didn’t notice the MAV. Interesting idea that it’s working on the same receptors as benzos. The downside is that you do feel worse the next day.

Vic

I have always felt better after a few drinks too! One beer= a terrible lightheaded dizzy feeling, but a couple more after that and I feel pretty good. Maybe it’s just a coincidence that I already drink vodka as my drink of choice (greyhounds, made with grapefruit juice usually) but it does help me get through a night out! And yes, I always feel worse the next day. Nursing a wine hangover with exceptional dizziness today, thanks to a wedding last night!

Hey Luke,

Glad to hear you went out and got smashed. I find I can drink both vodka and gin. I will feel much more headachy the next day, and I have to pick and choose which days I will have a few drinks (trigger load needs to feel low etc) but it’s doable. Beer and wine are out though. The fallout is too great.

Just back in Sydney after a marathon flight with no breaks: all up 21.5 hours in a jet plus about 7 on the ground with connections. My head was pounding with pain all the way but once out of the jets, the pain stopped. Seems I get an instant headache now as soon as the damn things take off … ibuprofen barely takes the edge off of it. Oh well, it was all worth it. No dizziness yet … who knows what’s in store tomorrow.

Scott :slight_smile:

Hey mate

Glad to hear you got back without any major disasters. Lets hope the dizziness stays at bay!

Yeh i had great fun the other night but paid for it massively. That said i xant go on living my life with no fun…so once every few months wont hurt. It kills my bladder too, but you know what they say…no pain …no game. Obviously when im back at work there will be very little to no boozing as im bed ridden for 2 days after!

im still on 50 mg of topa. i will have beeb on 50mg for a month on the 25th. Ive been marginely better this month, but no real difference. Need to make a call how much longer i keep on. i hit 2 months on 4 october. my next drug if effexor, then pizotifen again. i need to lick my mav into a manageable low 90s. ill be happy with that.

You guys are a brave bunch there is no way I would touch alcohol with this condition and especially if I was on medication …I am just so sensitive to all such as that I would be gone for days I am sure of it.