How long have u been suffering? a theory about the course

I was wondering if everyone who reads this would chime in with a few very simple words about the course of their MAV. I set up a simple questionaire below that will only take seconds to respond to. I have read that this condition tends to burn itself out but that it’s different for everyone. Could be days, months or years. I am somewhat doubtful that we will be suffering with this longer than a decade, but that’s what I am trying to find out. You have to assume that others who got better are no longer here, and no longer seeking help. They are out leading normal lives. So it might provide some insight into the average length of time one might expect to be dealing with this condition, by examining those of us still here. Maybe my logic is off, but I would still find it interesting to note the average length of time dealing with this condition. There will be some variances but when all the results are in, they can be sorted through and taken into account. I’ll go first. Just copy the text below and paste it into your post. Just change the answers to reflect your own personal situation:

ONSET = Sudden or Gradual
Sudden

SYMPTOMS FIRST APPEARED
January 24th 2008 **Symptoms consisted of "Slow partial spinning vertigo (clockwise, not a full spin, so I was able to walk and move around) with slight nausea, no vomiting. Eyes unable to hold gaze on an object. Light sensitivity. The appearance that all stationary objects were shifting around. Extreme Fatigue (walking up a flight of stairs would put me out of breath for a few minutes. Then I could trek on). Slight constipation. The feeling of slight rocking, swaying, and general intolerance to motion, although I could work myself through it. Intoleration to "yes/no, “up down” head motions. Val salva induced dizziness (straining in the bathroom would worsen the condition). Upon closing my eyes, my eyes would feel like they are darting back in forth behind my eyelids. Unable to get to sleep due to the motion. Constant “spacy” feeling. Concentration was possible, just difficult. It required “effort”.

2 weeks later, after getting off of salt and starting a diuretic (as it was thought I had miniere’s), The nausea abated, the constipation improved. The “slow spin” vertigo improved 80%. My gaze stability corrected itself, my eyes no longer darted around behind my eye lids, and the slow spins were no longer an issue while trying to sleep. The biggest symptoms were, and still continue to be,…the sensation of constant movement (rocking, swaying, falling forward), the sensation that all stationary objects shift and move, light sensivitiy (all objects appear “dreamy”), head motions are still difficult, although slightly improved.**

DATE YOU WERE DIAGNOSED WITH MAV
April 8th, 2008

TIME ELAPSED BETWEEN ONSET OF SYMPTOMS AND DIAGNOSIS
2 Months and 14 days

WERE YOU DIAGNOSED WITH ANY OTHER DISORDERS AT THE SAME TIME?
Mal Disembark Syndrome. However, I was misdiagnosed first with Miniere’s Disease, then Pseudotumor Cerebri, then Superior Canal Dehisence, then Dehisence of the Auditory canal, and then finally diagnosed with the MDS and MAV together. However, it is still not certain weather I have MAV, MDS, or both. I’ll be following up with doctor’s at JH once they make my appointments. Until then, I am considering getting on Klonopin, which they agreed to.

ONCE DIAGNOSED, WHEN DID YOU START EXPERIMENTING WITH TREATMENTS?
Still waiting to start

ON A SCALE FROM 1-10, RATE YOUR PRE-SYMPTOMS PRIOR TO TREATMENT. 1 BEING 90-95% FUNCTIONAL, 5 BEING THE MAXIMUM LEVEL OF COMFORT YOU ARE WILLING TO DEAL WITH FOR LIFE, AND 10 IS COMPLETE DISABILITY WITH BEING BED-RIDDEN

WHEN DID YOU START TO GET RESULTS?
Haven’t started treatment yet

ARE YOU STILL DEALING WITH SYMPTOMS NOW? IF SO, RATE THEM FROM 1-10 WITH 1 BEING 90-95% FUNCTIONAL AND 10 BEING COMPLETELY BEDRIDDEN. 5 IS CONSIDERED THE END POINT OF WHICH SYMPTOMS ARE TOLERABLE FOR LIFE IF NEED BE. ANYTHING BEYOND 5 IS CONSIDERED A DISABILITY
Yes. Symptoms, pre-treatment in my case, are a 7 (Because I don’t have rotational vertigo, and I can walk and take care of myself although extremely difficult and uncomfortable)

TOTAL TIME WITH MAV?? (this could vary if onset was very gradual. But I would start when symptoms began to intefere with life)
2 Months and 19 days

Rich

Rich…this is an excellent questionare.

Onset…gradual

symptoms first started: 6/92 (was told i had Panic Disorder…then doc said i have inner-ear dysfuncktion w/anxiety…also said i might have Benign Positional Vertigo

date diagnosed with MAV: 12/06

elapsed time between on-set of symptoms and diagnosis: 14 years

Was i diagnosed with other disorders at the same time?: Not at the same time but was initially diagnosed with Panic Disorder IN 1992. Many years later also diagnosed with “Interstial Cystitis”.

once diagnosed when did i begin treatment? Immediately

rate my pre-symptoms prior to treatment (i continue to use the same medication (anti-anxiety medication) when i was diagnosed with Panic Disorder back in 1992). So pre-symptoms i could not function at all…would be home bound. With medication i am able to atleast hold a part-time job and not be homebound.

When did i begin to get results? I have tried numerous medication over 15 years with not much help except Xanex.

Am i still dealing with symptoms? Yes…but less vertigo, less brain fog. But without medication i would most likely be homebound because of the rocking motion. I am around a 5-6. I cannot work full-time…so i continue with part-time work. I have appled for SSDI…asking them to compensate me for not being able to work full-time. They turned me down once and waiting for the 2nd decision.

total time with MAV: 15 yrs/10 months

Also…what has contributed to me getting some improvement is watching my Diet, 8 hours sleep, less stress and working part-time instead of full-time.

Joe

Thanks Joe. I hope others will chime in with the answers to these questions. I think we could all learn a lot more from each other than we think. :slight_smile:

Rich

Sudden onset of dizziness, other symptoms came later.

SYMPTOMS FIRST APPEARED
fall 2004

february 2007

No, not at the same time, but a few misdiagnosis before this.

immediately

ON A SCALE FROM 1-10, RATE YOUR PRE-SYMPTOMS PRIOR TO TREATMENT. 1 BEING 90-95% FUNCTIONAL, 5 BEING THE MAXIMUM LEVEL OF COMFORT YOU ARE WILLING TO DEAL WITH FOR LIFE, AND 10 IS COMPLETE DISABILITY WITH BEING BED-RIDDEN
At the time I got the diagnosis, i would say 8 or 9

Not sure. It’s sometimes difficult to say if treatment is helping, or if this thing is just changing on it’s own, but I guess I started feeling better about 1/2 year ago.

ARE YOU STILL DEALING WITH SYMPTOMS NOW? IF SO, RATE THEM FROM 1-10 WITH 1 BEING 90-95% FUNCTIONAL AND 10 BEING COMPLETELY BEDRIDDEN. 5 IS CONSIDERED THE END POINT OF WHICH SYMPTOMS ARE TOLERABLE FOR LIFE IF NEED BE. ANYTHING BEYOND 5 IS CONSIDERED A DISABILITY
Yes. Maybe 6 or 7. I am able to study 50%, but don’t think I would be able to work that much.

TOTAL TIME WITH MAV?? (this could vary if onset was very gradual. But I would start when symptoms began to intefere with life)
3 1/2 years

Very interesting. I wish others would chime in. we all may learn something here!

Rich

Sudden

SYMPTOMS FIRST APPEARED

April 23, 2006

20 years (unfortunately)

orginally diagnosed in 1986 with panic disorder (dizziness was not at that time true “vertigo”, just an “out of sorts” type feeling - feeling odd, like not really in my own body, my own voice and everyone elses sounding strange. Only lasting a few minutes.

Immediately. Started Inderal (propanolol, beta blocker) for the panic attacks which was blamed on mitral valve prolapse. Had great success, went off of it within a year or too, seemed to solve the “panic attacks”. Had periodic attacks during the next 15- 20 years, but not life-changing, didn’t affect my way of life. “Big Crash” , total vertigo in February 2006, 24/7, blood work, ct scans, mri’s, all the usual, all normal. Diagnosed with MAV, started Inderal again, strange coincidence its what I always said “saved” me with the panic attacks., and its a fairly common migraine preventative.

ON A SCALE FROM 1-10, RATE YOUR PRE-SYMPTOMS PRIOR TO TREATMENT.
Completely bed-ridden and home bound after the “big crash” in 2006

Within 3-4 weeks, but also did the Headache diet at the very same time (still do)

2 -3
Some days are better than others. I’m happy with the progress I’ve made, never stop looking for better answers, and of course the absolute “cure”.

20 years, but many good (symptom-free years) in between

Hi all…here goes! Great questionnaire:

Sudden

SYMPTOMS FIRST APPEARED
26 March 2006

19 June 2006

2 months 25 days

Suggestion that could possibly be MS, but doubtful. 2 years now elapsed and symptoms more specific to MAV and MS no longer Neuros considered opinion.

Immediately, 29 June 2006

9-10, totally disabled, hospitalised several times, walking zombie when moving about the house. ‘Big Crash’ started with rotational vertigo followed by extreme, extreme motion sickness, couldn’t move head in ANY direction plus many many more characteristics, plus splitting, splitting headaches/migraine like (had never had one before that time in my life!)

It’s all been very gradual over the past 2 years, I think the migraine medication (sandomigran) in strong doses, eased the migraine headaches and other symptoms, but who’s to really know whether it might have improved by itself anyway. Have to say that I think the medication is keeping it from returning as well as nausea & dizziness so I’ll err on the side of medication being a positive result for me. Also take Clonazapam and now trialling beta-blocker Metapropol and waiting to see if it improves condition even more.

Yes. Feeling about 4 (that’s 60% functional if I’ve read this right!), can’t work but could possibly start part-time soon. Need to definitely reach 2 (or 85-90%) at the least to feel I could live with this condition and accept a few restrictions. Also think I’ll be on medication for a long time (absolutely no issue with that) because it is a disease treated, but not cured (in my opinion :wink: )

TOTAL TIME WITH MAV?? 2 years and counting! In hindsight, I think I had a few motion sickness episodes and ear aches 12-18 months prior to BIG CRASH which I put down to viruses but was a bit suspicious about them as they had subtle differences to past viruses. I now believe they were a prelude to my BIG CRASH!
regards, Judy

Gradual. Started having classic migraine headaches in 2000, but vertigo, etc. didn’t come on until fall of 2005. It all sort of mixed together early in 2007.

SYMPTOMS FIRST APPEARED
Early in 2000 for headaches. December 2005 for vertigo.

January 30, 2008

~2 years

Nope, but before MAV diagnosis an ENT told me I had Meniere’s.

Immediately - January 30, 2008 - Tried Nortriptyline (Pamelor) then ~2 weeks later switched to Verapamil.

7-8 depending on my mood. Before Verapamil when I was still having vertigo, I was worse because I never knew when an attack would happen. And after the vertigo, I was wiped out for the rest of the day. Today even without vertigo, I don’t want to face living like this (with constant headaches) for another 30-40 years. Tomorrow I might be more enthusiastic about making ‘lemonade outa lemons’, however, the bad days are starting to out-number the good ones.

Pamelor made me too jittery to function, but Verapamil seems to have kicked in after 3-4 days & has nixed the 24/7 dizziness & episodes of vertigo so far. Problem is now I have gone back to having headaches all the time.

Yes - headaches. I’d rate them about a 7, like I said earlier. It’s hard to see myself going through the rest of my life with the constant feeling that my head is in a vise. There are days when I can barely talk, let alone think straight enough to do my job as a fund-raiser or be a ‘normal’ wife and mom.

Not sure - the migraines were diagnosed by my primary doc who wasn’t familiar with MAV. I was pretty miserable for a while, but the headaches were only periodic at first (in 2000). The official diagnosis of MAV didn’t come until a couple years after the combined symptoms began. Literal MAV time has been about two years - since Jan. 2006.

This Thursday I’ll be seeing a neurologist. The neurotologist said if the Verapamil didn’t work, then he wanted me to go to this other guy (because the ‘other guy’ was more familiar with migraine & MAV). Hoping he can pull some rabbits outa his hat.

I know there are people a lot worse off than me, but … lately I just don’t seem to have any sympathy for anyone but myself. Somebody slap me.

Chronic symptoms appeared gradually then acute vertigo attacks made a sudden appearance

SYMPTOMS FIRST APPEARED
Spring 2005

This diagnosis was suggested many times over the course of the last 3 years but I was too stubborn to accept it. “What are you talking about - I never even have headaches!” Finally gave up and started treatment in February '08.

2.5 years but I can’t blame the doctors for that

SCDS - After an SCDS surgery failed to relieve the symptoms the Doctors tell me that the dehiscences are most likely
incidental findings and not the source of my sympoms - neither VEMPs test or symtoms ever really fit the SCDS diagnosis well

February

No results yet

3 years

Caution: The people who have gotten better are not on this forum, they’re out playing tennis. I think you will encounter signifcant “survey bias”. Don’t let this get you down.

Good luck

No, no. I am learning a great deal from this and I think it’s interesting to note the histories. I’m still compiling all this data. Certainly not a panacea since we don’t have the information from people who got well, but it’s an interesting start!

Rich

Gradual

SYMPTOMS FIRST APPEARED
Sept 99
Same week my first son was born 2 months premature

Jan 2005

6 yrs

Origianally diagnosed with Meniere’s

Immediately

within 2 weeks with each medication trial

9 yrs

I need to add that I have always had some of the underlying symptoms that most people have with MAV before their symptoms finally kick in. I have always had problems with motion intolerance, motion sickness and headaches/migraines as far back as I can remember. For an example, in elementary school gym class, I remember having a race to see who could summersault all the way across the gym the fastest, I could never understand how the other kids could manage a straight line and still hold their breakfast in. I also remember as a kid, probably 3 or 4, trying to get somebody to give me something for my headache only to be told that the baby aspirin wasn’t candy. In elementary school, I remember the headaches that pounded with each step I took, and hiding in the basement with the lights off telling my friends that my head hurt to much to play.

Geez Brian, that’s depressing. No seriously, I can see you as a poor little kid with a pounding headache and nobody listening to you. I had motion sickness whenever we took a long drive, but never headaches as a child. I’m sorry you went through all that. (I know you didn’t post looking for pity …)

When I am better, I’m out playing tennis. When I’m worse I’m on the site. Selection bias.
kira

Doesn’t matter. I still think the stories, condensed to show only the relevant point, is quite revealing. I’m already seeing patterns. i hope more will chime in

Rich

— Begin quote from “joy”

Geez Brian, that’s depressing. No seriously, I can see you as a poor little kid with a pounding headache and nobody listening to you. I had motion sickness whenever we took a long drive, but never headaches as a child. I’m sorry you went through all that. (I know you didn’t post looking for pity …)

— End quote

I got a little chuckle out of your reply. I forgot about the long car rides as a kid, I learned how to read while the car was moving so that I didn’t have to look out the side windows. It was my cousins that pointed out that looking out the side windows at 55mph caused motion sickness, my mother had to ride sandwiched up front as a kid, then there’s my sister who got sick in the back seat a couple of different times, so I feel it is safe to say that motionsickness runs in my family. (At least on long car rides. lol)

For what its worth. History of motion intolerance my whole life. Couldn’t tolerate roller coasters as a kid or young adult. Became a professional pilot (currently grounded for this mess). Flying a plane - even in turbulance is no different for me than driving on a bumpy road - no problem. But a few years back my company wanted all its pilots to go through an aerobatics course - that was miserable for me - thought I’d never get through it. Could fly all the maneuvers but after a flight I’d feel sick for two days.

Chaz…if you are like myself…Motion Intolerant all your life, why did you become a Pilot? I would think that would bring on motion sickness??? I do ok flying in a large plane but i tried a 16 seater one time and that was very challenging…to say the least!

Joe

Joe,

I used to joke that I had to become a pilot because sitting in the back of a plane would make me sick - I was only half kidding.

Seriously though, I was always passionate about it. Wanted an aviation career the way some kids want to be pro ball players. Was nervous that motion sickness would be a problem when I started flight training but decideded to give it a try. Turned out it was just like driving a car. If I’m driving and in control of the movement I’m fine. Its when I sit in the back seat I have a problem. Likewise when my hands were actually on the the controls of the aircraft I had no tendency to motion sickness - none. In the early days of my flying career if another pilot was on the controls I had a bit of a tendency to get sick, but it was a mild tendency and it got gradually better over the years as I became desensitized to it. I’ve given over 2000 hours of flight instruction to students over the last 20 years and students are notoriously rough on the controls (hamfisted). A particularly hamfisted student could still make me a little “quesey” but this was the exception rather than the rule.

Then I took the aerobatics course I mentioned. I had NOT had 20 years experience getting desensitized to flying inverted. I had serious motion sickness issues almost immediately. Other pilots who took the course had issues on the first lesson or two, or if they pushed past an hour of flight time. I had issues from the instant I rolled the airplane upside down. Got through the course without “fouling” the plane but we kept the lessons real short. I have no doubt if I did enough aerobatics I’d eventually develope a tolerance to it but I have not interest in becoming a competition aerobatics pilot. Right now I’d be happy if I could just get this silly crap under control so I could punt my desk job and get back to flying.

Guess I gave you the long answer. The short answer is that while I always had a tendency towards motion sickness - I found that given enough time I’d eventually develope tolerance to about anything I wanted to do ('cept roller coasters - never got so I could ride one without feeling sick for the rest of the day).

chaz

I’d like to put my 2 cents in - I was never motion intolerant until the dizzies kicked in.

I grew up spending the summers on my Dad’s sailboat on the Great Lakes, riding all the rides at the amusement parks, never got car sick.

Last May I took a 5 day cruise to the Bahamas. I spent every minute on that ship eating, trying to keep my stomach full. Had to sit outside on deck to keep from getting nauseaus. When I got home, I spent 3 full days with the floor and ground bouncing. Felt like I had springs on my feet. It was horrible, but I woke up on Day 4 and was absolutely fine again.

I guess I’m the minority here.

Kim

Brian…i also have always been motion intolerant beginning when i was a child. The only thing i didnot have that you had are the Headaches. Very rarely get a headache. But since diagnosed with Migraine Equivalent…my head has lots of TENSION.

Joe