I am the king of falling!

Hi all, it’s been a while since I last posted anything about myself. Only recently have I started commenting on post again. I have been dealing with some major depression caused by the meds I was taking. I am now off of those meds, so my good natured mood has finally returned, along with motivation.

Now for a little good humored sarcasm. :slight_smile:

I am declaring myself the king of falling today!

Medicated, I would fall fall when my symptoms would act up. If I was on a good day, maybe just once or twice a day. If I was on a bad day, it was sevaral times an hour.

I am unmedicated right now and I am falling a several times a day in my own house, my comfort zone. When ever I leave the house, I am guarenteed to fall now, anywhere from several times an hour to several times a minute.

I am declaring myself the king of falling because with all of that falling I have yet to injure myself. Yes, I know that I am EXTREMELY lucky that I haven’t hurt myself yet, but I have to joke about it keep myself from beating myself up about it. 8)

If you ever want to see something funny, just walk into a hopsital, doctors office, or any other business of the medical profession, go up to the front desk and just colaspe. After you get used to it, it can be quite comical watching the nurses panick, and rush towards you with their eyes very wide open, searching for the weelchairs, trying to figure out if they need to rush most of their emergency staff to you.

Or, on Christmas Eve, if anybody you know needs to get that last minute shopping done have them take you with them. It is amazing how many people will let you move ahead of them in line after you fall a couple of times. This really did happen to me. I was in and out of Walmart on Christmas Eve in 15 minutes. :slight_smile:

The only falling events that I have problems joking about are the three times that I was out in public and fell only to have someone come running up to me as I am picking myself up off the ground and ask if I needed an ambulance. It is very hard to talk someone out of calling an ambulance, but I have done it three time now, and it always required the hlep of my coworkers, friends or wife to convince the person trying to call the ambulance that falling is very normal for me.

BTW, if anyone can find something to help me laugh at the times I have had to convince people not to call an ambulance I would apreciate it. :smiley:

Your going thru alot and I am so glad that you have not been hurt. Right now I avoid going anywhere I dont absolutly have to due to my balance being so bad. But I must say you show amazing courage and strength and you seem to be living your life. I admire you for that as I have turned into a hermit. Your post is inspiring.

Nice post Brian…bittersweet to say the least. I’m glad you are seeing the humor it in, but I do worry about the accumulated effects of all that falling on your back in particular. I have a weak one myself, which I have been babying for years, and thus the MAV hasn’t horribly affected my life since I don’t do anything vigorous. It’s bad enough to have MAV, and then to add a bad back would be torture. I think you should definitely get out, but how about using a walker?

MrMitch,

I actually do worry about the accumulated affects of the frequent landing on my knees. :roll: Never thought about my back.

dizzywomen,

I too have actually started to hermitize. (Is that a word?) The only reason I haven’t is that I am the only driver in the family and to the extent that I am possible, I have to try to be a responsible parent. Someone has to go to the store for everyday things around the house, such as a gallon of milk, or laundry detergent, etc.Then there are all of the doctor appointments. And the list of things that get me out of the house at least once a day. I am limited to how long I can be out before everything acts up and I find myself on the floor a little more often than I want to be.

Fortunately I have my wife to help me with everything. She is very good at scheduling things into my day to include rest/nap times so that I can recharge my balance bateries. :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW, if anyone can find something to help me laugh at the times I have had to convince people not to call an ambulance I would apreciate it.

You could think about joining the circus, as a drop clown?
don a clown suit. :shock:

Poor thing!

Hi Brian,

It’s not much consolation I know, but it is kind of nice that people are stopping and offering to call an ambulance when you fall - they could be stepping over you… Maybe you could tell people you’re a performance artist and they might throw a few coins in if you pass a hat around after you’ve fallen :wink:

Victoria

— Begin quote from “Victoria”

Hi Brian,

It’s not much consolation I know, but it is kind of nice that people are stopping and offering to call an ambulance when you fall - they could be stepping over you… Maybe you could tell people you’re a performance artist and they might throw a few coins in if you pass a hat around after you’ve fallen :wink:

Victoria

— End quote

I live in the midwest in an area that has several medical career colleges. Between the midwestern culture and all of the medical people, getting stepped on is just not something I never thought of. I guess you do have a point, I could be someplace where they ignore everybody. :shock: