I feel worse again

Hello Everyone,

I’m currently taking Effexor and have so for over a month at a low dose. I was staring to feel a little better but since Tuesday it has gone back to the same way I felt before I started taking the medicine…I’m so depressed and just feel like crying…
I need some hope…

emma

Hi Emma,

I am so sorry that you are feeling poorly! I can so relate to that. I am assuming the Effexor is the only migraine med you are on? Keep in mind that MAV still will have its ups and downs even while on meds. I have been able to resume my life after being completely homebound with this horrid thing, through migraine preventatives. I still have symptoms, but they are so mild and some have gone away completely. Hang in there, be on top of your triggers and do your best to avoid them. You have only been on the med 1 month. Some docs feel that it is 6-8 weeks before the med has reached its best potential. Keep coming to the boards for support and know that we are all here with you.

Pam

Hi Pam,

Thank you for your support. Dr. Hain wants me to stick to Effexor for another week to see how I feel. I hope it gets better…I feel like I’m in a funny house right now…

Emma

Emma - so sorry to hear that Emma. In the past, a doctor told me that when you start to feel better and then regress again, then it is time to up the dose. I think Dr. Buchholtz told me that. I’m sure that’s the last thing you want to do, and that doesn’t seem to be Dr. Hain’s advice. what dose are you on?

Hi Lisa,

I’m on a half a pill 17 mg…I’m trying to get up to 37.5 mg
I still woke up really lightheaded this morning and I hate it…I will ask Hain what he says about increasing the dose.
Did you start taking Effexor yet?

Emma

Emma,

I haven’t started it yet. The reason I am waiting is I have another doctor’s appt at MAss eye and ear next monday (may 4th). I am so confused at the moment, as I know this doc (I saw him last year) prescribes Nortriptyline as his drug of choice. So, I don’t know if I should just start Effexor and cancel appt, or wait for the appt and discuss further with this doctor. Today, I am leaning toward starting Effexor and canceling appt, but my mindset changes daily. I wish you all the best. Please keep us posted, and I’ll do the same.

— Begin quote from “MAVLisa”

Emma,

I haven’t started it yet. The reason I am waiting is I have another doctor’s appt at MAss eye and ear next monday (may 4th). I am so confused at the moment, as I know this doc (I saw him last year) prescribes Nortriptyline as his drug of choice. So, I don’t know if I should just start Effexor and cancel appt, or wait for the appt and discuss further with this doctor. Today, I am leaning toward starting Effexor and canceling appt, but my mindset changes daily. I wish you all the best. Please keep us posted, and I’ll do the same.

— End quote

If it were me, I would start the Effexor AND keep the appointment. You may find out very quickly if you can or cannot tolerate Effexor. With some meds, people can push through side effects. On the other hand, some meds make people so sick that they can’t even take a second dose. What if Effexor is this way for you. If you take it, you would know that it is off the list and can move on to the next one. Or, you may take it and not have any side effects. In that case, you could talk to this other doctor for a second opinion regarding titration of Effexor, how long to try it, and what to try next if it doesn’t work.

This is just my thinking. I know how it is to second, third, and fourth guess what the next move should be. I’m going through that right now with my own medication trial. I sure wish this disease came with a road map or instructions! :wink:

MarciM - that is great advice. I may actually do that. The only thing is, the doc might wonder why I started a new med before seeing him on May 4. But, I still think you raise great points. thank you.