I made it through my first day at school!

Grant it I had the help of ativan, which I decided to only take on occasion so I don’t build up a tolerance. I made it! Meetings all day long under those crazy florescent lights. No kids yet. One more day of meetings and parents (tomorrow) and then the kids start Monday! I am confident I will be able to get myself through the school year, I may be dizzy, but I’m doing the best I can. :smiley:

That’s great sasad. Well done. You must feel a real sense of achievement. Anyone who can survive flouresecent lights all day, let alone everything else, has my respect! Good luck with the rest of term. You have a great attitude.

Brenda

Congrats Sarah… thanks for letting us know!
Good news is always welcome around here…lol.
Warmest,
Lisa

We don’t have the kids start until after Labour Day…today I was in the classroom setting up. Next week we have our meetings. What grade do you teach? I teach 3/4. Needless to say, after setting up all day, I’m exhausted. Not to mention, I was having an okay day and I gave myself a dizzy spell by getting anxious about something. I hate when I’m the cause of the dizzies.

Sarah,

That is fantastic!! you should be very proud of yourself. just wondering - do you suffering from dizziness when walking (disequilibrium - feeling like you’re on a boat). that is my worst symptom because it is the one most disabling for me. If you do suffer from that, just wondering if you have any secrets for walking through busy environments, like a school environment. Best of luck tomorrow.

Lisa

— Begin quote from “Lisa Rebecca”

We don’t have the kids start until after Labour Day…today I was in the classroom setting up. Next week we have our meetings. What grade do you teach? I teach 3/4. Needless to say, after setting up all day, I’m exhausted. Not to mention, I was having an okay day and I gave myself a dizzy spell by getting anxious about something. I hate when I’m the cause of the dizzies.

— End quote

I teach special education. I primarily teach reading, writing, and language arts to grades K-5. My counter part teaches math, which is one less thing for me to have to worry about! Good luck to you too!
Sarah

— Begin quote from “MAVLisa”

Sarah,

That is fantastic!! you should be very proud of yourself. just wondering - do you suffering from dizziness when walking (disequilibrium - feeling like you’re on a boat). that is my worst symptom because it is the one most disabling for me. If you do suffer from that, just wondering if you have any secrets for walking through busy environments, like a school environment. Best of luck tomorrow.

Lisa

— End quote

Lisa,
This is one of my worst symptoms too! Luckily I have an aid who picks up and drops off my kids most days. However when I do find myself stuck in a busy hallway I walk near the wall and pick a point in the distance to focus on while I’m walking. Usually this helps some. I also will block some of the visuals with papers I hold in my hand. For example: I walk close to the wall on the left, hod papers up to the side of my face on the right (to block some of the visulas) and focus on a point in the distance. It is not easy, but it sure does help!

Sarah

Sarah,

Those are some very good pointers. Unfortunately, I am on disability now. but, I used to work in a hospital with long corridors, and I had so much difficulty especially if a patient was walking next to me. It threw things off so much more. I can’t wait to work again. I can definitely picture you walking effortlessly through the hallways one day with a huge smile. you are a brave woman, and I wish you all the best.

Lisa

Thank you Lisa. You always speak such kind and reassuring words. I am fortunate that I can still work and I pray that my condition doesn’t worsen to the point where I can not. However, your day will come too. We have to believe that something will work, it is just a matter of time and trial before we get there! I am confident that we will ALL recover and lead fulfilling lives.
Sarah

Hey Sarah,

So glad to hear your doing okay!! It does take a while to get back into the swing of things after being off all summer. Those flourescent lights can really throw you for a loop as well. I’m a spec. ed. teacher too! I teach 2/3 lang arts and math. I was exactly where you were last year and just took it day by day and it ended up being a good school year. I was very lucky b/c I had a really easy-going group of kids so that made it easier. Plus, my colleagues were all really understanding and supportive and if I needed to take it easy for a few minutes here and there they had it covered. Good luck with your meetings and your first day with students!

Take care!!
Colleen

Very inspirational Sarah! Glad you are able to get back out there despite having the curse of MAV to deal with. Hope it all goes well for you.

Scott :slight_smile:

— Begin quote from ____

Lisa Rebecca wrote

I was having an okay day and I gave myself a dizzy spell by getting anxious about something.

— End quote

I’m interested that you seem to be able to make a direct and postive correlation between anxiety and a dizzy spell. I’ve often wonderted myself if anxiety/stress alone is sufficient to set off an attack without any other triggers being present. Ok one minute, not the next type of scenario, with the only differential being anxiety. Obviously stress contributes to our trigger load but I think yours is the first example I’ve read of where anxiety has directly and solely led to a dizzy spell. Very interesting.

Brenda