I saw my neuro today and she is submitting me as a candidate for Aimovig treatment. If I’m approved, I’ll be able to take the med free of charge for a certain period. I have no drug plan or insurance coverage but apparently the maker is offering this while negotiations occur around the coverage conditions.
I like that there is a low side effect profile and that I’ll continue my current med (venlafaxine 75mg/day) while taking Aimovig.
The anecdotal reviews are wildly mixed, but I see little downside to trying this treatment. The possible scenarios are:
- It doesn’t help and I stop taking it
- It works and I’ll have to pay for it…which, if it works, I will find a way to do…somehow…
- It helps a little, and I’ll have to decide if it’s worth it to continue
I will update if and when this happens. It will be a 70mg injection self-administered once a month. Hoping that this may be the thing to work for me. Evidently there are a small number of “super-responders” who report zero headache days per month on this med—mine seems like an intractable case, but I can hope. I also plan to begin better diet adherence…starting tomorrow that is.