Hi every one, My aura is different to most peoples ,
i hear everyone with migraine talk about zigzag or cirles with zigzag ect,
mone are like opaque coloured blobs floating to the side or centre of my eye
opaque purple rods, moving or flashing slowly
yellow rods
spiderweb or vaine like yellow over my vion very light,
yellow shape like this
bright tiny ball of light white
bright elluminus blue ball with white edge.
and the most wiered is a circle of heat as if in a the heat rising off the road.
sometimes if can fill my vision as if its flickering my vision.
if anyone see’s this i’d love to hear from you as every one else seems to have totaly different aura, it could help me work out what this is.
thank you jen

Jennyd -

My auras are EXACTLY like you describe, with one difference being the colors. If I had to describe a color, it might be a “very pale blue or purple color”. Mostly I’d just call it opaque.

I also wake up in the middle of the night (just recently attributed this to migraine) with a yellow “halo” around the night-light in my bathroom. (The night light in my bathroom is visible from my bed in my bedroom.)

I have a LOT of miserable symptoms from migraine, but I must say, the auras and the dizziness are the worst. For me, absolutely terrifying.

Thank you, have you dbeen diagnosed as mav or still waiting.
jen

I was diagnosed a couple of years ago. I currently take Propanolol, Migrelief, and extra magnesium.

that is very interesting as the neuro i saw told me my symptoms were nothing else but anxiety, i’m getting a second opinion of cause, it made me furious when she said that after 13 years of wobbling like a drunk.
she said oh no that mav is very rare.
i think she needs to back to school myself. arrrr
thank you so very much for this info.
i dont feel so alone or crazy now.

jenny,

Dn’t get so frustrated with the nuero’s as MAV is a relatively new defined disorder. I have seen two neuro’s and the first one told me that he had never heard of migraines causing balance problems, and he was trained by the neuro who dx’d me.

Kind of ironic huh?

yes, i started seeing the blue/purplish aura a few years before the other sx of MAV came alone. The next sx was the pulling sensation in my head/scalp and this was followed by severe vertigo/disequilibrium that has lasted for 4 years. 24/7, aside from when i’m in deep sleep. Now I’ve added lots of other visual sx: visual snow, ever-present in the same spot scintillating scatoma, etc.

It’s hard to give a doc a correct picture of my condition because it seems that it is still a work in progress. It depends on who I’m talking to, what picture he will get from me.

Julie

It’s hard to give a doc a correct picture of my condition because it seems that it is still a work in progress. It depends on who I’m talking to, what picture he will get from me.

Hi Julie , dose this mean your scotoma changes depending on who your talking to, sorry i dont understand.

see , when I was first diagnosed with mal de debarquement, rocking sensation, 24/7 , i didnt understand my symptoms were aura as many of them only happend while sitting under fluro lights, or at a computer. some of my symptoms with aura were very much like partial temporal lobe epilepsy but with out the convulsion, I would feel intense confusion, a moment of not being able to speak wich i covered well untill the studdering started as i tried to remember back what conversation i was having. almost like having a brief shot of memory loss, sometimes felt as if my world changes in colour so i do understand how different thingas can feel at times, most of this i put down to anxiety about the constant rocking, but on the other hand i have now started to realise this isnt how other people live. ive had these sensations sinse a you child and the burning head and confusion under fluro lights has been a challange, my newest one is freeze frame world, as Mrs G said its not like a photo flash as most migrainure have but one that stops vsion , much like its freeze framed as if a DVD has a glitch , so frieghtning , as you’ve explained it a work in progress, but if i hadnt started having these aura start to happen over the past 6 months i would never have known that it could possibly be silent migraine? id love to know what the name of this freeze frame vision is , in medical terms so i could do a search for it.
thankyu so very much Julie, and every one , the more i understand the more i can help myself get better.
jenny 13 years rocking.

— Begin quote from "Brian B"

jenny,

Dn’t get so frustrated with the nuero’s as MAV is a relatively new defined disorder. I have seen two neuro’s and the first one told me that he had never heard of migraines causing balance problems, and he was trained by the neuro who dx’d me.

Kind of ironic huh?

— End quote

thanks Brian, nothings going to stop my quest for a cure or at least some help!
thanks to people like your self giving some help to others we may all have answers soon. I must say i’m so sick of talking to my family and explaining to friends why i cant attend a function or just a day out its great to chat to people who understand , i get up in the morning hopeing to hear from you all, as i’m on a quest fro my health as we all are.
thanks again ,
jenny 13 years rocking.

Jenny,

thanks for the input. When I say “work in progress” I mean that my symptoms keep evolving - the vertigo has changed in quality, while it is progressively worsening. Some minor symptoms have stopped completely.

Julie

There’s a website by Dr. Klaus Podell that explores aura extensively: he describes visual snow, and the freeze frame experience. I’d posted it for Mrs. G.
There is a rare but dramatic neurological disturbance that a number of my patients have experienced during attacks of migraine, when they may lose the sense of visual continuity and motion and see instead a flickering series of ‘stills.’ The stills may be clear-cut and sharp, and succeed one another without superimposition or overlap, but more commonly they are somewhat blurred, as with a too-long photographic exposure, and they persist for so long that each is still visible when the next ‘frame’ is seen, and three or four frames, the earlier ones progressively fainter, are apt to be superimposed on each other. While the effect is somewhat like that of a film (albeit an improperly shot and presented one, in which each exposure has been too long to freeze motion completely and the rate of presentation too slow to achieve fusion), it also resembles some of E.J. Marey’s ‘chronophotographs’ of the 1880s, in which one sees a whole array of photographic moments or time frames superimposed on a single plate."
From Oliver Sacks
migraine-aura.org/content/e2 … ex_en.html
On the left hand side of the page are all of the many manefestations of aura.
I hope this helps explain it.
Kira

Hi Jennyd

I started off at 16 with blind spots and zig zags, which I still sometimes get - but over the years the visual types have expanded - the frame by frame, multicoloured fireworks/balls, the zig zags, snowy vision, double vision, stepped vision - (when you look at lines they are not straight). It appears to be an evolving thing for me.

Hi Mrs G , ditto for the evolving aura, I get the back holes as well, My rocking has changed a little sinse using verapamil, having some symptoms at around a one some days so alls good, I’ll have to be patient . I’m going to docs on monday to ask for the slow releas tabs instead of 80mg 3x a day, i keep forgeting to take them, my memory is so poor at the moment. The freeze frame aura frightens me alot its not frequent but when it happens wow!
the reson I asked the question about the true neurological name for this aura is so i could do a search on e med ect, but there dosnt seem to be an ofisial name for it , so i’ll ask my new neuro when i see him.
thanks so much every one.
jenny