I seem to be cured without consultant care

I have suffered with MAV since November 2015 and was cured while pregnant and breastfeeding last year. The illness cost me my job and rendered me unemployed until I started working from home. As soon as I stopped breastfeeding, my symptoms came back. Without consulting doctors, as I am awaiting results from an MRI scan, I seem to have found a cure.

• Iā€™m back on the combined pill which I came off in September 2015
  • I express breastmilk twice a day
  • I have cut out coffee
  • I have stopped smoking (after starting again once my baby was born)
  • I go to bed at 8.30pm until 7am (to make sure that I get enough sleep even when my baby wakes for feeds).

I have to be incredibly strict with all of these as my symptoms return if I let one slip. Has anyone had similar experiences?

1 Like

I think we need a new Category: ā€œSuccess Stories and Positivity!ā€ :slight_smile:

EDIT: DONE! Yours is the first post in the new Category!

Thats great news Louise, congrats! Long may it continue!! Annoying you have to be so strict though ā€¦ (but itā€™s better than The Beast no doubt!)

1 Like

Thank you! It was awful not being able to look after my baby properly but we have a good support network which is why we could have him in the first place :slight_smile: I donā€™t mind being so strict when it means that Iā€™m well enough to look after him by myself. Iā€™ve had to decline invitations to family meals though!

Why is that? Did you also go on the migraine diet?

What is the combined pill that you went back to taking?

I assumed that meant a birth control pillā€¦

The birth control can stop the misbehaving hormones causing MAV. Makes sense.

But I suspect itā€™s not an option for you. :slight_smile:

I will eat dog poop if there is sufficient proof it can cure MAV :slight_smile:

7 Likes

No, Iā€™ve not been on a migraine diet, itā€™s because they book tables for 8pm and I have to go to bed by 8.30 :slight_smile:

Birth control :slight_smile:

I ate chocolate at 10am and felt really ill at 2pm for a few hoursā€¦ Does chocolate affect anyone else? I may have to add it to my list

Not anymore but used to. Things fluctuate. Maybe come back to it another day.

I have 85% cocoa chocolate in my porridge every morning at moment :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are so many variables! Iā€™ll maybe test each one over time and limit my chocolate intake for now (I did eat a lot!!)

All Iā€™d say is: I hope you had a good time!

1 Like

Off-topic question for you, James. What exactly is in ā€œporridge?ā€ Is it like the oatmeal that we eat in the States?

Adding to Annaā€™s question what brand of chocolate do you add to the porridge? I remember you saying it is a fine chocolate

Yes, loose oatmeal soaked in milk (or substitute like water or coconut milk) and heated up. IMHO a lot nicer than ā€˜gritsā€™. :).

1 Like

Green & Blacks 85% Dark Chocolate. Incredibly good chocolate. Rarely, itā€™s given me migraine ā€˜rumblesā€™ but never an actual migraine.

2 Likes

OK. I like ā€œporridgeā€ better. Much more British. :slight_smile: I buy steel-cut oats, soak them in water, and then heat. I never thought of adding chocolate - I usually add cinnamon. I used to add raisins and dried cranberries until I saw that theyā€™re potential migraine triggers.

2 Likes