The Migraine Associated Vertigo Community
Read our welcome post, user support wiki & visit our member recommended products page

I'm back here after 5 years of no vertigo, damn it. Need a hug

My screen name is Longshort, I am a lawyer and professor in Chicago. I suffered miserably for a year, was told this was BPPV, went to dizzy doctors in Chicago and then to the Mayo in Minnesota – they put me on Celexa, nighttime valium, and I was already on a beta blocker. The diagnosis was Chronic Subjective Dizziness.

I left this board in 2015 because I was “cured.” I had no episodes from 2015-2020. I traveled constantly for work (I teach internationally) so I typically circle the earth twice a year. This last year I did 3 long circles (e.g., Chicago-Istanbul-Kazakhstan-China-Chicago).

I still take the Celexa which I hate because of sexual side effects, and still take valium which I hate because I am anti-drug and don’t drink etc. But I was healthy, able to work, be a father and function at about 95%.

Three days ago I woke up spinning. The Epley gave me vertigo when my head was leaning left, which I attributed to an earache I had picked up. Then it lessened, but last night I had tintinitis in my right ear and now I am spinning when my head is to the right.

I thought I had this beat, not totally wiped out but under control. There were things I could not do again (running, basketball, get on a boat) but I was otherwise normal.

I am really depressed about this. So I am back.

4 Likes

I’m really sorry to hear that Longshort and there’s a virtual hug heading your way from me. So that can happen eh? I’ve basically been vertigo free for 3.5 years and have been thinking I might have beaten it too. I only take Betahistine regularly, no alcohol, no coffee, conscious avoidance of stress, various vitamins. I have no solutions for you but you have my deepest sympathy. Vertigo is a horrible beast. Please keep posting. It went away before so it can and will again.

2 Likes

Hi Longshort, I really feel your pain. I had been symptom free for a year after starting medication. My neuro suggested I stop taking medication 6 weeks ago and now I am back in my worst nightmare and bed ridden. Currently on day 4 and feel awful. Lying in bed is the only relief for me right now. I am beyond annoyed that I am in this position again and so I completely understand your frustration. I hope you feel better soon and sending you a big hug!!!

3 Likes

Thanks you guys. I might start a Meniere’s diet, see how that works. It is comforting to know that it can come and go with other people too, though I feel terrible for you and would not wish this on anyone. I am in bed too.

1 Like

With what’s going on in the world, we are all mighty stressed. Check in with your emotions. Express fear and grief. My MAV flares when I’m experiencing undergrounded stress and not acknowledging the source.

We’re here for you. It sucks to be here but we’re glad you can come home to this place.

A virtual hug from me. :heart:

4 Likes

Hi.

Sorry to hear your update. Five years was a really good run though I’d say. Really good. Must admit some of your comments remind me of @Naejohn’s consultant’s words about MAVers always maintaining the sensitivity which effectively means that there is no such thing as a ‘cure’.

I’d say what has changed? Something must have changed? Your post reminds me of another Celexa user who returned last year briefly after an 8 year break following a trip to the dentist. I’m sure you can easily pick up her post through the Search facility. She wasn’t here long, just passing through. Check out @emmasaga’s post.

As @flutters says current World situation surely isn’t helping any. I’d say check out possible changes. Might be something you can put right.

2 Likes

So sorry that the beast has re-appeared for you! Virtual hug and good vibes sent your way from me. I don’t want to be a downer, but in my 50 years of vestibular problems (Meniere’s with the addition of MAV symptoms for the past 4+ years), experience has taught me that (at least in my case) there is no cure, but there are remissions!!! I have been symptom free for years on end - and then …BAM… and it’s back!! The best I can offer is to try and ride it out as best you can, and hope for another long remission. Try to get your general health as good as you can, and while you’re lying there staring at the ceiling or the inside of your eyelids - try to think of anything that could have triggered this return. Was there perhaps any great change in weather conditions? - for me a drop in barometric pressure is bad news!! You mention an earache…I would suggest that this is somehow connected to your spinning…either the cause of - or caused by…??? Everyone seems to be different, but I found many different things to try by reading other’s stories. Most don’t seem to do anything for me, but some seem to help. I also don’t take any ‘meds’, with the sole exception of a stemitil if vomiting threatens. Wishing you luck on your path to your next remission!!

2 Likes

Feeling your pain and frustration. I believe if you get to a good management level once you can find your way there again. I have had off and on daily symptoms for 5 years. Whenever it gets really bad I think it wont turn around but it eventually does. Dont despair.

2 Likes

I am so sorry you are feeling like this again this BEAST is awful but always remember that you got into remission for 5 years you could do it again but it need time and patience
I was like you for a 20 months almost 80% improved i even travelled 3 times during that and now back to square one but i always comfort myself i wont let this BEAST take my life i will live and do as much i can

3 Likes

Hi Longshort,
I’m so sorry to hear that it came back. Five years without, I could understand why you thought you had this beat.
Even though I haven’t been dealing with MAV for very long, when you’ve made significant progress and experience a setback, it’s disheartening. I do understand. Had a setback recently. Have to keep focused and try to move forward. Hoping you’re feeling somewhat better, now. Take care.

1 Like