IMPORTANT MAV paper for your doctor

Hi All,

I was made aware of this paper today by Manny. It is published in Medicine Today, an information source for Australian GPs. This article is current and covers all the major bases, and is written in language that doctors like. In other words, if you suspect you have MAV but have a doctor who just cannot get with the program, then print this off and take it with you to your appointment. It’s so great to see this in a GP’s journal like this.

There are some key dot points in this article outlining when you should suspect MAV.

There is a nice little differential diagnosis diagram in it that will help your doctor and you in working out what it is you’re dealing with. The only area it falls short is in the use of SSRIs as a suitable first line treatment. There isn’t much in the way of hard evidence for SSRIs and MAV (clinical trials) which is why it’s not here. For that we rely on expert opinion (Baloh, Newman, and Tusa) and case studies reported here.

Scott 8)

That’s great that this is available to doctors.Maybe more people will get help and not get misdiagnosed.
Thanks for posting!

Great read Scott! Unfortunatley it doesnt say anything “new” that we haven’t known about…like the "magic"pill that could get rid of all this! But…maybe this means more research and some better treatments.

Hi Jen,

No nothing we all don’t know here already but nice to have a summary like this that a GP or neurologist will take seriously. I have a friend who still thinks she has a “Menieres variant” even though there’s nothing to suggest this at all. The result of a misdiagnosis that she cannot let go. Reading a paper like this might make a difference.

S

A definition of a word used in the paper that I did not know.

Protean: Very variable; easily changing; or continually changing. Protean is not to be confused with protein.

Thanks Scott, you always take such good care of us!!! :mrgreen:

Pam