In the Dallas area for 3 months!

So my husband was sent to Dallas on business for 3 months, maybe more. My 7 year old and I decided to travel with him (my 7 year old is home schooled). I have always made decisions based on my MAV. This one I didn’t. I knew it probably wasn’t the best idea but my emotions got the best of me. I was very anxious about being so far away from friends and family for such a long time but made the decision to go anyway. It’s been a week so far and it has had its ups and downs, mostly downs. I have noticed my sinuses are really bad and the headache that goes along with it. Therefore, dizziness has been pretty bad along with some vertigo (maybe due to elevation changes?).

I’m hoping and praying that it gets better. It is depressing because all of the things that I want to be able to do with my son. I haven’t been able to drive anywhere. We’ve been staying at the hotel when we’re alone (thankfully a very nice suite, with pool, etc.). My husband is working 7 days a week from 8 to 6 so it is definitely more difficult than my normal routine I’m used to. My husband knows that we need to get out and do stuff and has been going out with us some nights after work, which has helped a ton. I have the best husband and I’m thankful for that.

I’m just a bundle of emotions right now. I go from a frustrated “this isn’t fair” attitude to sad missing family and friends all the way to happy to be out of Louisiana. Trying to have a better attitude because I know that it’s not helping. I really want to be able to stick it out here because otherwise I won’t be able to see my husband for over 3 months if I go back home, as he doesn’t have any days off and I have a hard time flying alone.

You guys are probably wondering why I posted this, I just needed to vent somewhere (you guys are the best and have helped sooo much in the past) and maybe see if any of you are in the Dallas area. Here comes desperation… I’m friendless here. If you are in the Dallas area and would like to meet up, let me know. Especially if you have kids, it would be great for my son. I promise I can have a better attitude. :smiley:

Hi
I wish I was in your area…hopefully someone on here is and can be a good support system for you.
I noticed on your med list you tried, and failed Lexapro. So did I. I was wondering what your side effects were? Is it possible that you could try Celexa? It is less potent, and frequently a good one for helping MAV, as well as anxiety, which I would guess seems to be getting to you as well.
Glad you reached out. It’s important to feel connected, understood and not alone
Hang in there…
Kelley

Hi,

I read your post! First of all, I would like compliment your courage going to Dallas and not letting MAV dictate the choices you make. Sometimes, I think with this dizzy junk, we try and live around it and make decisions based on that. I know sometimes it is hard not to !
If I was you, I would google search activities that are close by like: public library, mum groups, atttractions. I think that staying in a hotel room for me would be hard because I would probably be thinking about how dizzy I feel and then I would get more anxious and down. May be you can discover what bus systems you can take and take your little one out on a bus ride. I don’t know how you feel on buses, but I feel ok usually and looking out of the windown at new places probably will be a distraction. Do you have good reading material? I read a book called: “Eat, Pray and Love”. This book is excellent as it is very descriptive and well written and the author (I think Elizabeth Gilbert) is so good at explaining things about life and what she has learnt. I watched the movie a while ago which was good, but he book is even more impressive.
Also, just keep in mind that you with ya husband (who sounds lovely and supportive), and this is a time of a change in routine.

Keep in contact with us to let us know how ya doing…

Ginny

rockyksmom - I tried Lexapro when I first started on my dizziness journey. That was when I neurologist told me that it was “just anxiety”, that it just stems from that. I took half of the recommended dose to be safe. My heart felt like it was going to jump out of my chest, it was racing quickly and made everything 10 times worse. It has been so long that I can’t remember anything else than that. That was the first and last time I took Lexapro. I was on Clonazepam. While the side effects were not as bad, I didn’t care for it. I couldn’t get to a large enough dose for it to be worth it. I wanted to sleep too much and had CRAZY dreams that kept me up a lot. I have a hard time with prescription meds. I’ll ask my doctor about Celexa and see if maybe he can call me in something while I’m over here. Thanks for your support!

ginstar81 - Thanks for the tips! I haven’t seen the movie or read the book, so I think I will buy the book. I definitely have the time and haven’t read a good book in forever. I am going on my first outing today with my son to pick up our rental vehicle. The company is picking me up and I’m going to see how I feel when I get there. I would love to be able to just go to Whole Foods. I seem to be able to shop there with no problems most of the time, unlike the rest of the grocery stores. You’re right, it is not good to let this control our lives. It’s just the easier route that I have always taken. I’m hoping this situation I’m in will help me to be able to more independent, which is another reason I threw myself into it.

Thanks for the encouragement! Hopefully I will meet some people in the area. There has to be a mom group or something in the area, I will check into that.

Just wanted to post a quick update about being in Dallas and my dizzies. I’ve had some okay days and decided to venture out with my son a few times. I have been driving, just not too far away for right now. We went to the library and a little coffee shop… well I didn’t have coffee, just a smoothie. :frowning: I also went to a meet-up one day that I found for homeschooling parents and the kids got to play and adults talk. It’s weird how doing little things like that on my own can make me so happy and lift my spirits. It’s like a preview of “normality”. Hopefully I will be able to do more alone with my son because it feels amazing and there is sooo much to do in Dallas. My bff from Seattle is coming to visit me in Dallas for a few days, so that should be fun. It will be nice to be more active while she’s here…because when she’s around there is no other option!

I love the time I’ve had lately to do things that I ordinarily wouldn’t have time to do. I forgot how much I love to read! I have been reading Eat Love Pray and am enjoying it. It makes me incredibly jealous though. She’s off on this incredible journey by herself traveling. I love traveling and one thing I really miss is doing things by myself. I’m that type of person that loves doing things by myself. I have spent an entire day shopping and eating alone before and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I just enjoy that time to do what I want and be with my thoughts. I also loved driving and traveling alone. Don’t get me wrong I also enjoyed doing things with my friends and family but it’s nice to have that alone time. This stupid dizziness has changed me so much as a person and I’m frustrated with myself for letting it and for having a bad attitude about it. I have become too reliant on my family and husband. I need to be thankful for what I do have and just push myself to get out more and challenge myself.

Nice to hear from you. I’m glad things are seemingly pretty good. I hope you really enjoy your time there!
Kelley

Hey glad to see someone from Louisiana. I can’t manage to drive in Lafayette anymore - can’t imagine driving in Dallas!

I’m the first patient my neuro has seen with MAV. Just wondering what doctor do you see??

P.S. A good book can always turn you around!

Hey bbabino,

I live in the Hammond area and have seen lots of doctors there and some in Baton Rouge. I saw Dr. Moises Arriaga in Baton Rouge, he is at Our Lady of the Lake. He is a neurotologist and I think he also has an office in New Orleans. But I knew I could not drive to New Orleans, no 1 hour long drive over the causeway or even I-55 south over those swampy waters. Too much for me to handle! My husband was off working at the time and I had to drive myself and Baton Rouge was hard enough being a 45 minute drive alone.

Anyhow, Dr. Arriaga is pretty good. Really it comes down to finding the right prescription for you (which I haven’t yet but probably due to my own stubborn self not trying things). I went to him a few times, he did a lot of testing which hardly showed anything (imagine that). He decided it was MAV. It became hard to drive that far alone so I stopped seeing him. I found a good physician closer to where I live and made him my primary care physician and he has prescribed pretty much the same meds Dr. Arriaga was going to without me even telling him. If you can find a doctor who doesn’t make you feel like you’re crazy and actually listens to you and seems to care then I would stick with them. I’m pretty sure we don’t have a whole lot of great doctors in Louisiana, just a wild guess. I’ve stopped looking. How many doctors have you been? How is it going with your current doctor. It’s refreshing…if that’s the word :?: (brain fog)… to see someone else from Louisiana (not that I wish this crap on anyone…even my worst enemies).

I got dizzy after a minor outpatient procedure at the hospital in 2007.

I’ve seen Dr. Arriaga - NOT a good experience. He put me on Klonipin for the month of January,2009 & I don’t remember the month! When we finally got to go see him for a follow-up visit he told me to continue to take it! I was a total zombie!!

I have actually seen 24 doctors. For a really long time probably 3 years no one could figure it out. It was an endless round of this doctor sending me to that doctor, who sent me to another doctor until I would get annoyed and start out at a new ENT & start the process all over again. I’ve seen multiple ENT’s, Cardio, Neuro and Neurotologists from Abbeville, Lafayette & Baton Rouge.

Fast forward 3 years - My husband finally got sick & tired of the endless merry-go-round and we went to Houston & saw a neurotologist from Baylor. After an hour visit he diagnosed me with MAV and told me to find a neuro in my area. I’m currently seeing Dr. Karim in Lafayette.

I have tried Klonipin (zombie), Verapamil (no effect at all!), Inderal (nothing!), steriod packs (which worked but definately bad for weight gain!), Topamax (made me feel like a freaking nut!) and then finally Lamictal!

I also take Singular & Allergra for allergies/sinus issues (South LA!), & the whole cocktail of vitamins - magnesium, B-Complex, Co-Q 10, B2 and baby asprin.

This last year has been pretty good. But I must admit as good as it is compared to what I was, I still want to be totally normal!

bbabino

Yeah Dr. Arriaga was good for my diagnosis. I didn’t see the point in continuing to see him after that though. The ENT that recommended I see him, made him out to be this amazing doctor that could definitely help me. Damn doctors and their false hope! Been there with the Klonopin, tried Xanax as well. Xanax seemed worse then the Klonopin to me. I just couldn’t take a high enough dose of the Klonopin to have it make enough of a difference.

I sent you a private message. Just wanted to let you know since I never check mine.

jessica