In the dark

I have been posting a lot! This forum is so great to have but the more i dig the more questions i have.
Does anyone else have issuea with being in the dark. I find that if i am just standing and have my eyes closed i lose my balance. What does this indicate?

Hi Hask, it indicates that you rely on your eyes to keep balance. Very common for most of us, I believe. My neurotologist says that we compensate with our eyes and use them more than normal to keep balance. That is also why so many of us have troubles going in supermarkets and other places loaded with visual stimuli - we thereby challenge our eyes.
Chris

I have that problem too, and in fact, when I get tired, and know that resting would be a good idea, I avoid it, because of the discomfort of the increased imbalance when I close my eyes. Also, when I travel, I noticed that in an airplane if I close my eyes, I completely lose my sense of direction, and if my eyes are closed and the plane makes a slight move, my brain exaggerates the signal in my mind and it can feel like we are making a sudden large move instead of just a subtle one. One time I thought we were headed sharply down, I opened my eyes and confirmed that my water was not spilling, and everyone else was calmly reading, etc., so I knew we were not, but a took several seconds for my eyes/brain to understand “level”.

It just might help to focus on slow, deep breathing, to reduce the focus on what you don’t see.

I was looking up something else and found this, and thought I would share.

Loss of balance (disequilibrium)
Disequilibrium is the loss of balance or the feeling of unsteadiness when you walk. Causes may include:
Inner ear (vestibular) problems. Abnormalities with your inner ear can cause you to feel like you are unsteady while walking, especially in the dark
mayo clinic.

I can walk in the dark just fine. I can close my eyes and walk a straight line. I guess we are all just different with our symptoms.

It means that your brain is not correctly reading balance signals from the ears. So when your body relies up only the preocurative input and the inner ear input, you will fall over. This shows how hard your eyes work to keep you balanced, its no surprise why MAV patients always complain of tired eyes!

I can function in the dark to. I can also close my eyes and walk a straight line. I was just doing it 2 days ago… lol

My worst time was getting in bed and closing my eyes. It felt like I was on a turbulent airplane. I was relying too much on my eyes. The anti-depressant has helped immensely but it has not totally eliminated the problem.

Hello Longshort

Bedtime is my worst time as well. It can sometimes make it worse trying to fall asleep, I try to imagine that I am floating on fluffy clouds so that the moving sensations won’t wake me out of my ready for sleep state. I hate that feeling though, and on my bad days, I actually dread laying down.

When you talk about bed time… Im right there with ya. I hate going to bed. The minute I lay down, I feel just plain grose.
Cant describe it. When I close my eyes, I feel movement, and see things. Dont ask. Just things moving. But I fall asleep quickly, like
less than 5 min’s everynight. If I wake up say 2hrs later, its pretty much gone.

Now in the dark is different. I can turn off all the lights at night and walk around just fine. Heck i can close my eyes and just about run.

So I guess mine is positional.

I have been taking 1/2 of .25 pill of Xanax for the first time. For 2 days now. I take it 3x a day. And I can really see that it helps at night.
The dizzy grose feeling was more than cut in half. Which is bitter sweet. I dont want to mask it, or hinder any recover from taking a benzo.
I read on the t hain site, that they can hurt you more than help you. :frowning:

— Begin quote from “Hask”

I have been posting a lot! This forum is so great to have but the more i dig the more questions i have.
Does anyone else have issuea with being in the dark. I find that if i am just standing and have my eyes closed i lose my balance. What does this indicate?

— End quote

It may mean that your sense of balance is not using input from the ear (and perhaps also from proprioception). This could be due to (1) problems with the senses not providing the right infomation or (2) part of your brain which deals with balance is not using the input from the ear and from proprioception.

You may find it useful to compare the time you can balance for with other people’s values. Here is an article which can help you compare how you do. It’s a bit academic but you only need table 1. I seem to recall that somewhere in the text it says the measurements were done with arms held close to the chest.

“Normative Values for the Unipedal Stance Test with Eyes Open”
http://pdfs.journals.lww.com/jgpt/2007/04000/Normative_Values_for_the_Unipedal_Stance_Test_with.3.pdf

-Wexan