Insomnia and Vestibular?

I am probably just crazy but does anyone experience this…wierd insomnia…I will be tired and go to bed and it feels like i am fall into a deep sleep but my brain is still wide awake and sometimes I feel like I my head is “falling” and it jerks me awake…and it goes on for a few hours before i can finally fall asleep. I used to think it was the valium but it happened also when I hadnt taken it so i assumed it was anxiety but i havent had anxiety in the past few nights and I have had this wierd insomnia thing the past few nights…it used to be only once or twice a month and now it has been the past two nights and it freaks me out…is this a vestibular thing?? Anyone at all??

Absolutely - that is one of the most horrible symptoms. I don’t suffer with it anymore because I gave up and take Ambien to fall to sleep. I could NOT fall to sleep because of what you described. This will still happen sometimes in the morning, if i’m in a half-sleep state - i will sometimes start to fall back to sleep and FALL, sometimes violently.

when this first started happening (my big crash) i suddenly could no longer nap. I used to love to nap, would nap easily and feel refreshed for the rest of the day and fall to sleep easily at night. no more napping, i would get that violent falling which would wake me up - UGH! Since i’ve been medicated, i’m starting to be able to take kind of drowzy naps now and then.

I am so glad you brought this up - i really thought I was the only one and that it had something to do with my psychology or something.

HEATHER - do you get THAT symptom?!

Hi D.D,
I’ve had insomnia off and on for years, I put it down to my migraines, but just after starting Zoloft I would have that same sensation, I never really felt I had a goodnight sleep, just in and out of a daze, drives me wild.
But after trying neurontin at night 300mg plus my 240mg verapamil, these symptoms have gone.
It must be the neurontin helping me sleep deeply, and I fall to sleep quicker than I would normally
I wonder if the new anti depressant is making this symptom worse for you, if it is, lets hope it doesn’t last.
It’s like we are taking one pill to fix something and that pill gives us another prob!
So we need to take another pill to fix it, and on and on.

I’m not sure if I’ve just become use to my Zoloft or whether it’s the neurontin that’s helped my sleeping.

jen

the neurontin definitely calmed my nervous system and helped me to sleep. Zoloft had me all clenched up - it’s famous for causing insomnia (the dopamine effect, I think)

That’s been one of my most scariest symptoms since my big crash. We were all away on holidays and I was on the brink of my big crash, just a few weeks short, when all of a sudden when I was falling off to sleep, I’d ‘jolt’ so hard it would wake me up. This ‘jolting’ went on all night without a bit of sleep. From that day forward I have what is called myoclonic jerks every night and like Julie, can’t dose throughout the day any longer as I get a jolting which upsets me. Incidentally, the neuro told me that the Klonopin would ease that condition and it has, I still have them as I go off to sleep, but they have lessened in severity and that could be because my condition is actually improving slowly and also because the Klonopin is doing good work too. Interestingly my neuro thought that the myoclonic jerks were unrelated to the MAV…not so sure about that one.
Judy

Do I get the sensation of falling? Nope.
Or do you mean insomnia?
I’m perimenopausal-- insomnia is my middle name. I get to pee several times a night.
Remember I told you the other night I woke up at 3 and made food and coffee, then
got on the computer? How insane is that?

I get this blasted motion crap! It is awful in the flo lights!
I was in the neurologists office today (oh, she said: Mal De what?) For pete’s sake . . .
Yes she tried to lay Topomax on me again LOL.
She ordered a neck x-ray and an EEG.
What good are EEG’s, anyone?

I was popping pills all over the place trying to get some relief.
Darn chair or me was moving up and down the whole time in her office.
I got the hell out of her office into the daylight and I could run!
What IS it with indoor flo light? Maybe I should live outside? haha.
My head was killing me driving the car. I just don’t get the head pain/car connection.
It’s getting brutal.

Guess how long the woman spoke to me? About 10 minutes. Absurd.

Heather

I’ll bet i’m the only one with this one: When that falling to sleep and dropping feeling happens (different from myoclonic jerking, it’s just a sensation in my head, not an actual movement in my body), i would get a sound in my ears - a combination of thump/boom - i can’t describe it - but it was loud and i hated it. and it had a dropping sensation to it also.

I don’t get that flo light thing, but i can’t look at my husband’s computer monitor - i can actually see the liquid moving through the little tubes. I use a laptop so luckily the tubes must be way too small for me to see. Watching the waves of liquid move through those tubes would make me dizzy for the entire day. (I’m no techie, i think it’s liquid moving in those screens (?))

EEGs - good only to see if you have a seizure abnormality - who knows, maybe you do, but probably not. But when this all first happened to me, and i was set up for all this testing, that’s all i could find them good for. If you do, you’ll be back to the Topamax :slight_smile: Truth is, i think they just do it because it’s indicated per insurance. I remember when I saw my first neurologist. He also spent about 10 minutes with me and then said with a big smile on his face - we’re going to give you a lot of tests! (and they were all going to be done in his office) That’s where they make the bucks - testing.

Oh for crying out loud. . .
I swear I am really starting to lose my temper.
I am sick of this nonsense with Docs, I really am.
I’m getting real close to telling one to shove it up their ***

Heather

Yea, an EEG is going to be a real waste of your time, especially since you’ll be taking benzo. It throws the results off. you can tell them how much you’re taking, and they probably won’t care because they’re stupid. But I Google scholared it and found that any benzo in your system will throw off an EEG result. And benzo stays in your system for a long time. Whatever, you probably have to just go along and have the test. Especially a pain since that’s all you’ll be going for - at least i had a ton of tests done at the same time.

Are we having fun yet?

That stupid witch should know that! I told her I was taking benzos!
Fine, I may just cancel for God’s sake.
What do you expect from a nutty neuro who said " Ma De what?"
HOw can a neuro have not heard of MDDS? WTF?

Heather

Jul, I get the boom or bang sometimes,
like someone has hit the side of the wall, with a cricket bat.
there is a name for this , Cause I looked it up a year ago.
I’m sure there’s better sites that explain it better than this but take a look

scienceroll.com/2006/12/13/explo … -syndrome/

I thought at first it was just me dreaming. happens when I first wake, or maybe its just auditory probs from migs.
jen

I always knew my head was about to explode!
or maybe I’d spontaneously just combust, (with any luck)
wouldnt mind if I was asleep at the time.
jen

In my case - just as I’m about to drift off to sleep - I get a sensation that my whole body is shaking (or perhaps that the world itself is shaking around me, I never can decide). This seems to be just perception 'cus my wife says she can’t detect me shaking during one of the periods. Its brief - about a minute - and not terribly distressful compared to spinning vertigo. This only happens once each night and then I fall asleep okay. I know its a different symptom than what you experience but I think its interesting that it seems to be triggered when I’m trying to fall asleep.

Also, I often notice muscles twitching randomly when I’m laying in bed at night. One muscle will twitch 20 or 30 times over the course of a half hour then settle down. Often I’ll have trouble with one muscle in particular (for instance the left quadricep) on and off for a month or so. Then this will resolve but another muscle may start to act up a couple of months later. These sometimes occur during the day as well and its possible that I just notice it more at night. I’ve been concerned that this symptoms might indicate MS or Parkinson’s but none of the doctor’s seem to think it means anything.

Oh and one more thing. Sensation of being “chilled” and not able to get warmed up, especially in my feet. This one usually happens at night and definitely has kept me up most of the night on several occassions. Thankfully I haven’t had much trouble with this for several months.

I’m done.

chaz

Hi Chaz and all, yes I’ve had the vibrating thing as well, but just upon waking,
no wonder our Drs took so long to diagnose some of us,
we migrainures have the strangest symptoms.
every day am or pm have twitches in my feet and hands, my foot will just jump.
jen

Jen,

Bless you for your description of that symptom - i swear that one symptom, although it is brief, was possibly the most worrisome to me, i’m not sure why, i guess because I thought it meant there was something REALLY wrong with my brain or my psyche - like I was really crazy.

Chaz,

The jerks that you describe when you’re at rest, i’m pretty sure those are myoclonic jerks. People often have them as they’re falling to sleep and they don’t even know it. When i started neurontin, i started having them any time i was at rest, during the day, and sometimes so violently at night they would wake me up. Since I’ve gone down on Neurontin, they’ve stopped. What meds are you taking?

Julie

Heather,

Don’t take my word for it - I’m no doctor. And i hate to see you cancel your appointment because of something I said. When I had mine done, I told them I would be taking 10 mg Valium, they said okay and the tech wrote it down. But when I researched it, I found that it would alter the results. I went ahead with it because they were doing a bunch of other tests at the same time, which I did think were important. I can’t believe you’ve gotten this far without one. I thought it was typically one of the first tests they did.

Julie

I need to find a new neurologist anyway.
She is too far way and it is not worth the car ride that messes me up to begin with,
to only have her listen for 5 minutes and then run out of the room.
That’s twice now she did that and I have had enough of it.

Heather

BTW, thanks for finding those descriptions from the MDD board. I sure don’t have that, thank God for small favors. I’ve only visited that board a couple of times. I can’t seem to navigate it very well :oops: makes me dizzy.

Yep! my Brother has schitzophrenia and hears things
I trully thought I’d lost the plot.
jen

— Begin quote from “Chaz”

In my case - just as I’m about to drift off to sleep - I get a sensation that my whole body is shaking (or perhaps that the world itself is shaking around me, I never can decide). This seems to be just perception 'cus my wife says she can’t detect me shaking during one of the periods. Its brief - about a minute - and not terribly distressful compared to spinning vertigo. This only happens once each night and then I fall asleep okay. I know its a different symptom than what you experience but I think its interesting that it seems to be triggered when I’m trying to fall asleep.

Also, I often notice muscles twitching randomly when I’m laying in bed at night. One muscle will twitch 20 or 30 times over the course of a half hour then settle down. Often I’ll have trouble with one muscle in particular (for instance the left quadricep) on and off for a month or so. Then this will resolve but another muscle may start to act up a couple of months later. These sometimes occur during the day as well and its possible that I just notice it more at night. I’ve been concerned that this symptoms might indicate MS or Parkinson’s but none of the doctor’s seem to think it means anything.

Oh and one more thing. Sensation of being “chilled” and not able to get warmed up, especially in my feet. This one usually happens at night and definitely has kept me up most of the night on several occassions. Thankfully I haven’t had much trouble with this for several months.

I’m done.

chaz

— End quote

I appolgize if I am taking this thread off on a tangent, but then again, maybe I’m not.

Regardiong the muscle twitching, I have experienced muscle twiches all of my life, at any time of the day. It’s usually something like a bicep, or a shoulder muscle, but it varies. At bed time, my wife has had problems with her whole body jerking when she is asleep ever since she tried a medication for depression. She still expereinces them even though she doesn’t take the med.

Regarding the chills, that is something that I thought I only had problems with. I will not ice a soar muscle or anything of the like because it will make my whole body cold, and it will take forever for me to warm back up. Are you saying that you will get chilled even without anything to cool your body?