The Vestibular Disorders Support Community
Read our welcome post, user support wiki & visit our member recommended products page

Insomnia caused by new medication

Hi, I’ve recently had my migraine medication changed to Sandomigran and clonazapam. One of these has given me insomnia and I was wondering whether anyone had the same experience and any suggestions to solve my dilemma. Many thanks

Welcome to the forum!

I am on Sandomigran as well. It has not caused insomnia for me. But it has made me feel more tired, particularly in the mornings. I took 2 Sandomigran (0.5 mg each) at night and 2 (0.5 mg each) in the morning. I felt so fatigued that I decided to slowly reduce them (over a few months). Now I take one tablet in the morning (0.5 mg) and one (0.5 mg) at night and that seems to have solved the fatigue.

1 Like

Thanks Katharina, I’ve taken Sandomigran now for 16 years and am therefore no longer feeling tired. I wish that I was! My migrainous vertigo has been pretty significant to tame and am on 6 sandomigran a day would you believe. I tried recently to reduce by 1 with awful results unfortunately and since returned to 6 per day. My neurologist did however change my other medication from Valium to Rivotril/clonozapam and I ‘think’ that might be where the insomnia has started. I’m exhausted because I can’t sleep but my brain also feels very ‘wired’ and cannot settle enough to get the sleep I need so much. Awful predicament and was wondering if anyone else had insomnia problems from their medication and any remedies which might help.

Hi there,

Sandomigran was a blessing that actually sent me to sleep. This is what helped me recover I think. Sleep.

It was the propranolol before that that gave me insomnia. I would wake at 1am and couldn’t go back to sleep every night. I tried lots of things. Valium helped a bit but I couldn’t stay on that for long periods. It’s funny because propranolol made me feel physically fatigued yet I couldn’t sleep.

I had to change meds in the end. Sando was great for me.

1 Like

Thanks Belindy, I was pretty sure it was my change of medication from Valium to Rivotril. I decided to stick it out rather than change my meds once again only to go down the same track. It took 3 weeks of insomnia before I started to enjoy that wonderful thing called sleep once again. I’ve been sleeping well for two weeks now so am hopeful my brain has made the adjustment and I can move forward. I have also found the sandomigran an aid to sleep so didn’t think it was my fiddling around with dosage that was the cause of the insomnia. You are 100% right about needing sleep to recover from the vertigo & motion sickness from the migraine. My migrainous vertigo condition is chronic and have suffered since 2005 but once I’m on the right medication I just about never have episodes. I’ve only changed medication recently after my GP questioned why I was taking medication when I didn’t suffer from episodes. After trying to reduce the medication to appease the doctor, I once again set of a tsunami of symptoms and had to revisit my neurologist after 10 years of calm and he tweaked my medication and I’ve been battling to settle my MAV for approximately 2 months now. I’m just going to stick at it until my 6 month checkup with the neurologist I think now as the improvements have been coming and cross fingers that it’s smooth sailing once again as I was so lucky to have in the past!