Interesting - Addex Pharmaceuticals / new drug

From the “You Find a Lot of Stuff on the Web When You’re Bored” Department:

Don’t even know how I came across it, but this is sort of interesting. Addex Pharmaceuticals is in the trial stages of a new drug, ADX10059. One medicine-news site says, “[The drug is] a first-in-class migraine prophylactic which works by inhibiting the metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 (mGluR5) through negative allosteric modulation (NAM). Addex believes mGluR5 may be a key player in a neural process* that initiates migraine headaches. Thus, this approach – inhibiting mGluR5 – may lead to a new class of drugs that addresses the causes of migraine rather than just treating the symptoms.”

• “the major neurotransmitter involved in the initiation and the propagation of the migraine circuit,” as one site puts it]

Addex’ site says this (among other things): Although the triggering events leading to migraine are poorly understood, migraine attacks are believed to be propagated by a positive feedback loop in the brain called the “migraine circuit.” In short, the migraine circuit includes stimulation of the brain cortex, dilation of meningeal blood vessels, inflammation and pain. The migraine circuit is known to involve several brain regions, including the cortex, the trigeminal nucleus caudalis, the trigeminal ganglion, the thalamus and the brain’s superficial blood vessels.

Addex has “postulated that ADX10059 could interrupt the migraine circuit to abort an active attack and potentially prevent an attack from being triggered.”

Be interesting to see where this goes. They didn’t say much about other neuropeptides, though. There seems to be a lot of support for the theory that decreased levels of serotonin and/or norepinephrine are the culprit – at least in some cases.

Hi George,

Thanks for the heads up on this one. I think we’ll see many more meds in the next 5 years that will target this junk in a much better way without all of the miserable side effects. Is this drug a preventative or more an abortive? I’m not sure how effective abortive meds (such as a triptan) are for MAV. Dr Rauch made some comment in one of his videos that they aren’t so good. Well, let’s hope this stuff works or is at least opening the door for better meds.

Scott 8)

There appears to be some light on the horizon when it comes to new migraine meds :slight_smile:
I doubt we will see anything “wow!” worthy on the market within 5 years, though. Lots and lots and lots of trials and stuff to go through… But now I know of at least three whole new classes of meds: gap junction blockers (preventative), cGRP antagonists (abortive / preventative(??)) and this one. :slight_smile:

Scott, since the article says “[The drug is] a first-in-class migraine prophylactic”, I would assume that it is just what it says, a prophylactic and not an abortive =)

Mike – yeah, you’re right. I don’t know why I read that incorrectly. I’ve been all over the shop today – memory is trashed as well after doing too much exercise for two days :?

Scott