Is propranolol the best beta blocker?

:grin:

Hey Helen @Onandon03

Do you remember if propranolol made you short of breath? Iā€™m doing that lightheaded thing and canā€™t get a full breath (easily). Also, my BP increased.

Twice Iā€™ve used my Cefaly. When it gets to the higher intensity settings I start running out of oxygen. I canā€™t decide if my brain stem aura influenced autonomic system is to blame or if itā€™s just a more pedestrian propranolol side effect. My temperature control, breathing, heartbeat, digestion and a bunch of other things swing outside the bounds of normal tolerances frequently. So it could be that. Either way, itā€™s a struggle to hold panic in check while waiting for the Cefaly to finish its cycle.

Cefaly and upped the Propranolol all at the same time. You really do seem to love to punish yourself, Em. I like to work on the ā€˜one thing at a timeā€™ principle.

No, Iā€™ve never been breathless with the PP. Oh dear though thatā€™s not a good indication of tolerance. Itā€™s always the first thing doctors ask. I suspect youā€™ll be told to go back to your original dose, 60mg, or 80mg whichever and if it doesnā€™t stop to quit it entirely. Asthmatics cannot take it nor anybody with any breathing issues. So Yep. Itā€™s a Beta blocker thing. Maybe even a Propranolol thing. Sorry to hear that. Helen

Ah crap. I was just getting used to it. Iā€™m not asthmatic and I donā€™t have a history of breathing problems (outside the odd bronchitis). Screw it, I can breathe enough to go on a 3-mile walk. Good enough. Iā€™m sticking it out. I will monitor that and my BP.

Yes, I am a glutton for punishment. Really itā€™s that I like my punishment in short, albeit cruel, doses rather than dragging it out. Also, I really want to go back to work.

1 Like

Such damn pity you couldnā€™t have titrated up civilisedly slow like I did. You wouldnā€™t have had that then I suspect.

Yeah, probably not. Itā€™ll be ok.

https://images.app.goo.gl/LUbDM3vzs21kGmEM8

1 Like

& now i love you even more with that Lupin reference!!

2 Likes

I am a mom first. Of course Iā€™m currently ignoring his ongoing monologue to talk to you!

1 Like

Well you certainly make a good job of it. Iā€™ll say that for you. No half measures. Not with Emily. Helen

1 Like

My husband would agree. Iā€™ve never taken on a project where I didnā€™t do more than was necessary. But, itā€™s kept me mobile and pushing forward on days where Iā€™d rather lay down and die.

You get to sound more like me every time we communicate. If you do stick with it the Propranolol might help you there too eventually. At higher dose it will slow you up a bit. Not just your heart rate but you, just a bit. Well, it did me. Not a lot just a bit so itā€™s easier to let go a bit somehow. Donā€™t worry. Iā€™m not talking zombie. Itā€™ll clear brain fog. My mind and memory is as sharp as it ever was, without the brain fog even sharper maybe. Tiny bit more relaxed maybe, Helen

1 Like

Propranolol seems to get good reviews here. Just found this thus evening. Helen

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK45454/

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Cefaly Medical Device Approved

Propranolol is Go To Medicine for Grampian NHS it seems.

http://www.nhsgrampian.org/nhsgrampian/GJF_general_new.jsp;jsessionid=EC93B5680DCEC97447BC36F0D7A36B5C?pContentID=4492&p_applic=CCC&pElementID=578&pMenuID=464&p_service=Content.show&